WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

Not unlike Disney/Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, Fox's phenomenal (and consistently viral) Deadpool ad campaign over the last few months has turned a largely unknown character (outside of fans) into an instant mega success. Despite no serious built-in franchise event-level appeal, plus its R rating, the film's first day stands as the 24th highest in history. It even surpassed Guardians itself ($37.9 million opening day), and every Marvel movie -- from any studio -- not named Avengers, Spider-Man, or Iron Man. Those franchises (five films between them) plus the final two Dark Knight films stand as the only "comic book" adaptations to claim higher opening days than Deadpool. In other words, and in a fantastic moment of irony, it topped the openings days of every X-Men film (The Last Stand's $45.1 million being the highest).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Deadpool 2 will drop by 60%.

No more Green Lantern jokes, no more X men Jokes, no more meta Jokes about Reynolds' career.

It was fun while it lasted.

20-30% drop is normal for the sequels to break outs.

60% drop? No flippin way.

2 hours ago, DMan7 said:

Lets pretend instead of it having an R rating it has a PG13 rating instead. The movie remains the same way it is, nothing changes but the rating alone. This would mean the movie can be viewed by a larger audience automatically.

This is an incredibly pointless question, because it's an impossible hypothetical.  The movie is an R-Rated film, no ifs or buts and couldn't be the same thing if it wasn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, department store basement said:

I don't think Deadpool will be the biggest CBM of the year - that will go to BvS or SS, whatever breaks out the most.

I'm not even sure Civil War will reach 300m domestic.

Civil War would need a sub-130 m OW to miss 300 m.

Not happening with Spider-man, Black Panther and half the Avengers co-starring.

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

I had to look him up. Looks like this is his debut feature (talk about hitting the ground running) but as an animator he also designed the Thor 2 opening credits..?

Yeah the opening of Thor 2 with the battle is like 90 percent all CGI.

1 hour ago, department store basement said:

Aaaaand at the bottom of sfran43's chart is Spectre, which is only making 8000 per day. The theaters should pull it. It won't make it to 200m.

I can't believe I saw a commercial this morning advertising the blu ray. These release windows are getting shorter and shorter.