WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

Just now, grey ghost said:

Lol, X-men Universe has at least 4 franchises (X-men, DP, X-Force, New Mutants) that can pull in 500 m WW.

Can you really say the same about HP, TF or POTC

Deadpool is X-men? Didn't know that. We'll see what Hasbro does with their TF universe. As for HP, all FB movies and the inevitable HP and the Cursed Child adaptation will make over 1B WW.

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

We have seen way to little of Star Wars to say that, that's a lock either. Plus weather could be more a factor this year when it wasn't when TFA hit.

Wait until the first actual footage hits and people see everything familiar again (Stormtroopers, Death Star, Rebels, X-Wings) along with a big role for Darth Vader and what sounds like a possible cameo for the new young Han Solo.  

Rouge One is a lock for $100m opening.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

It will be an absolute stone cold lock.  Feel free to save this post and rub it in my face if it isn't.  The Super Bowl spot wasn't great, but the first trailer had a lot of reaction and buzz.

It is a 4 quad nostalgic blockbuster in a similar way that Jurrassic World was.  It won't have quite the same entire family audience, but will be more than big enough for $100m opening.  

There is exactly 0% chance IDR opens with 100M OW.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Wait until the first actual footage hits and people see everything familiar again (Stormtroopers, Death Star, Rebels, X-Wings) along with a big role for Darth Vader and what sounds like a possible cameo for the new young Han Solo.  

Rouge One is a lock for $100m opening.  

I think it's very possible too, I just can't say it's a lock until that first trailer arrives.

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I wouldn't say ID: Resurgence is a lock just yet either. If it gets Transformers style reviews, it could come in just under it. 

We have seen way to little of Star Wars to say that, that's a lock either. Plus weather could be more a factor this year when it wasn't when TFA hit.

Finding Dory is definitely going to rely on reviews regardless of being a sequel to Finding Nemo or not. If it's Cars 2 all over again, I don't see it breaking out over that barrier. If it's as good as the original or any of Pixars other classics, then yes.

I'm sorry,  but I have to post this...:)

giphy.gif

Rogue one ain't coming close to what TFA did (OW or total), but $100 million OW is as locked as it is for BvS or CW (even more so probably). No modern SW movie opened under $100 million adjusted.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

Really??:wtf:

After what TFA did, you think another SW movie might open under $100 million? 

As a huge Star Wars fan yes. We haven't seen any Star Wars movie that wasn't based on the main story. This is the first real gamble the series is taking. I think it's going to pay off huge but I can't say for certain until we actually see footage from the movie.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

As a huge Star Wars fan yes. We haven't seen any Star Wars movie that wasn't based on the main story. This is the first real gamble the series is taking. I think it's going to pay off huge but I can't say for certain until we actually see footage from the movie.

Transformers sequels have all opened over $100m adjusted and had awful reviews.  Lucasfilm could release 135 minutes of Darth Vader taking a shit and it would open over $100m easily.  

• Like 8

1 minute ago, nilephelan said:

Transformers sequels have all opened over $100m adjusted and had awful reviews.  Lucasfilm could release 135 minutes of Darth Vader taking a shit and it would open over $100m easily.  

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm sure sure it will be very big and it's my most anticipated film of the year. I just can't say it's a lock until we get the first teaser and see what the hype looks like. It's already got a ton off that one image.

Just now, keakster said:

What time could Saturday estimates start coming in?

- also as a side note, new to the forum, can anyone point me in the direction a glossary of abbreviations?

Thanks!

We have a glossary of abbreviations? :mellow:

Anyways welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

Few interesting notes:
1. Matrix Reloaded is finally about to fall *waits for someone to say that Deadpool will drop 80% today and wont break the record*

2. Now for the interesting part-every film to break the February record this century has been rated R.

3. After this weekend The Lego Movie will be the only non R rated film in the top 5 February openers!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Impact said:

Few interesting notes:
1. Matrix Reloaded is finally about to fall *waits for someone to say that Deadpool will drop 80% today and wont break the record*

2. Now for the interesting part-every film to break the February record this century has been rated R.

3. After this weekend The Lego Movie will be the only non R rated film in the top 5 February openers!

What about Robocop 2014? Wasn't that PG13 in order to appeal to the widest audience and guarantee it plenty of $$$?

Just now, Boxofficerules said:

What about Robocop 2014? Wasn't that PG13 in order to appeal to the widest audience and guarantee it plenty of $$$?

That didn't break the February record.

Also yes PG-13 would cause a film to do better-well in some cases, not sure if a PG-13 Spongebob would be a hit :P