GiantCALBears

Weekend Thread (actuals)- Deadpool $56.47m, KFP3 $12.52m, Risen $11.8m, Witch $8.8m, HTBS $8.2m, Race $7.35m (pg 36)

1 minute ago, XMenSaga said:

Thanks for posting this. Will be cool to see how many of those Deadpool surpass.

As of right now, for some reason Im having some doubts it makes more than 300m in USA. I guess it depends on third weekend.

About worldwide, it will surpass 600m without a doubt. I dont expect it to do more than Cap2 and Dofp, but we'll see...

Hey. I know you're new so I don't want to sound condescending. But it's virtually impossible for it to not do 300M. It only needs 65M more. No movie with a 55M second weekend has ever done under 300M.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XMenSaga said:

Thanks for posting this. Will be cool to see how many of those Deadpool surpass.

As of right now, for some reason Im having some doubts it makes more than 300m in USA. I guess it depends on third weekend.

About worldwide, it will surpass 600m without a doubt. I dont expect it to do more than Cap2 and Dofp, but we'll see...

Its actually all locked for 300m+ Dom. And it has fairly good chances of beating Cap 2 too.

Hey guys, I just checked boxofficemojo and how much more Dofp did since this exact point, and it made 70m more, so..... yeah, Deadpool will add more than 70m easily. My bad, doubts are totally gone now, lol.

300m, here we go! :D 

Pretty exciting, I still cant believe Deadpool is/will be the 1st x-related movie to achive the 300m mark. Fox should be wondering why no X-Men movie has ever done that, if not, they are idiots

• Like 6

which proves that being A-list doesnt mean a damm thing anymore.

So much for Wolverine's power, lol. Ive been saying it for years, but almost none agreed. It doesnt matter how popular a character is, the audience either supports or not. And this should tell studios that they shouldnt put the focus on just 1 character with an ensemble property. Thats wrong on all leverls

Edited by XMenSaga
  • Like 7

Here's the math. As @Baumer said, 55m weekend will bring in a 20m midweek, 255m total. That's 75m Fri thru thursday.  If it drops 50% per week average going forward, which should be it's worst, the rest of the run will match this week, bring the total to 330m. 

60% drops will bring in 66% of this week's total, 50m + 255m =305m. Doubtful do due the groundswell of WOM.

Easy weekly multipliers for a run out based on a current week of 10m.

66% drops = .50 x current week. 5m more for the rest of the run. 

60% =    .66 x  CW. 6.6m more

50% =  1.00 x CW. 10m

38% =  1.50 x CW. 15m

33% =  2.00 x CW. 20m

25% =  3.00 x CW  30m

• Like 1

On 2/21/2016 at 9:47 AM, No Prisoners said:

Been saying that for 20 years. Time to remake "Terms of Endearment " or "Ordinary people "? Nah, won't gross more than 30m these days. Where on the road to looking at a man's ass for 90 minutes for comic relief. Nothing you can do.

The thing about following box office is it tends to put more emphasis on the big money-makers.

They are still making movies like Terms of Endearment and Ordinary People (yuck...I hate that movie).   Check out last year.   Almost 700 movies were tracked...you'll find plenty of movies in every genre.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?page=1&view=releasedate&view2=domestic&yr=2015&p=.htm

Now...if you want a Terms of Endearment to be the box office champ you won't get that...but that doesn't really matter when you are enjoying a movie.

• Like 2

which proves that being A-list doesnt mean a damm thing anymore.

So much for Wolverine's power, lol. Ive been saying it for years, but almost none agreed. It doesnt matter how popular a character is, the audience either supports or not. And this should tell studios that they shouldnt put the focus on just 1 character with an ensemble property. Thats wrong on all leverls

Wolverine may be the most popular X-Men character, or used to be, but he's an X-Man nonetheless, so he needs his other X-Men.

Considering that the first weekend had boosted Friday numbers due to Thursday previews and an inflated Sunday due to the holiday weekend, drops should in theory be softer until the next blockbuster opens.

• Like 3

Terms of Endearment was #2 that year and adjust to nearly 300m. Yes they are being made and I do watch them. But the younger crowd doesn't as much anymore. So they are harder to green light with any kind of budget. The actors like the studios will go where the money is. I'm a capitalist, I don't blame them. But for example, I loved many movies RDJ did for 20 years. The last 8 years he's busy doing IM. God bless he's making more in each of the last 8 years than he did in the previous 20 but I would like to see him in more of the stuff he used to do. I liked The Judge. I'm saying give me another Zodiac type film, not just IM4,5  and TA3,4. It's hard to pass up 50m and take 90% less for something that wont make money today, but wouldve 30 years ago and been a blockbuster with a nice paycheck. Same goes for Johnny Depp pre PotC,  Christian bale has managed to do both. Really enjoy his under 50m films that might have been bigger in years past.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, eddyxx said:

I think Druv used to do this in the MCU threads only obviously better and more detailed.

Milestones for  Deadpool to beat

Domestic

$250M -No X-Men movie has done this.

$311,290,600 - Over X-Men:The Last Stand adjusted domestic

$333,176,600 - Over Guardians of the Galaxy domestic

$370,782,930 - Over Passion of the Christ domestic

Worldwide

$549,368,315 -  Over Ted worldwide

$586,764,305 - Over The Hangover Part 2 worldwide

$668,045,518 - Over Man of Steel worldwide

$714,421,503 - Over Captain America:Winter Soldier worldwide

$747,862,775  - Over X-Men: Days of Future Past worldwide

$773,312,399 - Over Guardians of the Galaxy worldwide

One milestone that's missing is:

$742,128,461  - The Matrix Reloaded worldwide: Highest-grossing R-rated movie, worldwide

• Like 2

WIDE (1000+)

# TITLE WEEKEND   LOCATIONS   AVG. TOTAL WKS. DIST.
1 The Witch $8,800,230 -- 2,046 -- $4,301 $8,800,230 1 A24
2 How to Be Single $8,202,430 -54% 3,357 14 $2,443 $31,746,063 2 Warner Bros. / New Line
3 Race (2016) $7,353,922 -- 2,369 -- $3,104 $7,353,922 1 Focus
4 Zoolander 2 $5,455,344 -61% 3,418 24 $1,596 $23,673,355 2 Paramount
5 Star Wars: The Force Awakens $3,907,295 -37% 1,618 -192 $2,415 $921,713,590 10 Disney
6 Hail, Caesar! $2,745,705 -57% 1,726 -522 $1,591 $26,258,850 3 Universal
7 Ride Along 2 $2,229,825 -50% 1,210 -354 $1,843 $86,515,305 6 Universal

RISEN opened with $11.80M this weekend. #Risen

Risen made more in its first weekend than PPZ has made through its third weekend. Zombie Jesus beats Regency Period zombies. 

Edited by Intergalactic Ping Pong

Yeah a lot of people new to tracking box office have trouble extrapolating and it's often kind of hilarious. We have someone -- super nice guy, I really like him -- over on the TFN forums who said he couldn't see TFN making more than $860M, when it was already sitting at $820M... I was like dude, it's going to hit that really soon, not sure what you're not getting here. That's right around the corner!

I'm going to be wrong (in a good way) on my final TFA prediction. I have been saying $922M since we knew the range would be probably $900M to $1B and I just had this weird feeling for $922M of all numbers. But, it's going to come and go.

1 hour ago, No Prisoners said:

Terms of Endearment was #2 that year and adjust to nearly 300m. Yes they are being made and I do watch them. But the younger crowd doesn't as much anymore. So they are harder to green light with any kind of budget. The actors like the studios will go where the money is. I'm a capitalist, I don't blame them. But for example, I loved many movies RDJ did for 20 years. The last 8 years he's busy doing IM. God bless he's making more in each of the last 8 years than he did in the previous 20 but I would like to see him in more of the stuff he used to do. I liked The Judge. I'm saying give me another Zodiac type film, not just IM4,5  and TA3,4. It's hard to pass up 50m and take 90% less for something that wont make money today, but wouldve 30 years ago and been a blockbuster with a nice paycheck. Same goes for Johnny Depp pre PotC,  Christian bale has managed to do both. Really enjoy his under 50m films that might have been bigger in years past.

Yeah, it's the cost of marketing that's killed the mid-budget adult dramas (for the most part). When you basically need 100m+ domestic to even think about breaking even, it's easy to see why the studios generally avoid them now.

• Like 2