Zootopia (2016)  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I had heard all the good things about this for weeks and finally saw it. The previews were alright but I knew the reviews were amazing and I usually side with the critics....and yeah, they were so spot on again here. 

Honestly, I was blown away by how good this was. The only thing I really disliked was that stupid Shakira song. That felt like it belonged in a Dreamworks movie and both times it appears, it kind of took me out of the complex adult themes (but this is a kids movie so I'm not knocking it down far)

Besides that it pretty much follows every cliche for a buddy cop film. It's all stuff that's been seen before (most recently in the remake of 21 Jump St) but I can't knock it due to how damn clever the stuff in between that framework is. I loved how Disney wasn't afraid to poke fun at itself with the bootlegs too. 

I was not expecting this to be a deep film and at times, it didn't feel like it was for kids. Animated or not, it's a great movie. I loved the leading characters and cared about their journeys. Can't wait to see more of them.

A- (that stupid song)

Edited by somebody85

On 4/22/2016 at 0:23 AM, cannastop said:

Maybe I like Zootopia so much in part because I haven't seen that many cop movies.

I have drawn parallels to Zootopia and another cop movie I've seen, The Silence of the Lambs.

Watch Die Hard. Great cop movie 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cannastop said:

I know the general plot to that. It's not exactly a "buddy cop" movie like Zootopia is, right?

After seeing Zootopia no they not alike but it is a good movie.

I saw Zootopia. pretty good movie. Good humor with clever characters. 

3 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

After seeing Zootopia no they not alike but it is a good movie.

I saw Zootopia. pretty good movie. Good humor with clever characters. 

Oh, did you just see it? Very nice.

Can you see why I sometimes compare it to The Silence of the Lambs?

Just now, cannastop said:

Oh, did you just see it? Very nice.

Can you see why I sometimes compare it to The Silence of the Lambs?

Not really it is more of standard movie.  Silence of Lambs had a villainous character play a critical part in the movie. 

One notable thing about Zootopia is that it doesn't have a comic relief side-kick.

The closest it gets to that is Clawhauser, and he plays such a small role that he's only questionably a sidekick. Also, he's not nearly as slap-sticky as Baymax or Olaf.

On 4/4/2016 at 8:54 AM, cannastop said:

If you ask me, Zootopia is the best American animated feature, full stop. Might be the best overall, but I have to consider Miyazaki.

I am in the same train with you for this. There are many great animation movies I really love, such as Kung Fu Panda, Monster Inc, Tout en Haut du Monde, etc. But Zootopia was really a killer. Since I saw it at the end of January that, I think of this movie everyday! Which movie of Miyazaki did you like? My favorite is Spirited Away, a masterpiece.

5 hours ago, Max said:

I am in the same train with you for this. There are many great animation movies I really love, such as Kung Fu Panda, Monster Inc, Tout en Haut du Monde, etc. But Zootopia was really a killer. Since I saw it at the end of January that, I think of this movie everyday! Which movie of Miyazaki did you like? My favorite is Spirited Away, a masterpiece.

I'm thinking of Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. I'm also partial to Otomo's Akira.

Great movie.

- I thought some of the 3rd act dragged a little.

- Could figure out that

Spoiler

the blueberries will matter when Nick was talking about it and wrapping them up. So when they showed the pellet being manufactured it was easy to guess what would happen.

- Also felt it got a bit too mawkish couple of times.

- Brilliantly animated, lovable characters beautifully voiced, fantastic visuals, smart dialogues.

- Godfather bit had me laughing very loudly.

- Would love to have a house in the rain-forests.

A-

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Another big clue for Nick and Judy faking the savage attack it in the climax was in his eyes. The other animals' eyes became far more natural and 'primitive' when going savage, while Nick's were relatively normal.

They also glowed in the dark in the real cases.

• Like 1