47 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On 3/12/2016 at 7:43 PM, Frozen said:

I thought the film was great. Great acting from everyone, great suspense. You never knew where it was headed. John kept you guessing until the end.

But the ending kind of fell apart. Enough things weren't wrapped up. Like why did he build the shelter? They led us to believe it was to hide Brittany, but what actually happened to her? Or did he really think aliens or an attack was coming? If so, HOW did he know that? They kept saying he was in the military and fixed satellites, but never said how he knew about the upcoming attack? 

This was how it originally ended apparently:

"Michelle escapes in the hazmat suit and its raining outside. She see's Nate's body (Emmett in the rewrite... they changed his character quite a bit) and takes off her mask realizing the air is fine. Howard comes out of the bunker chasing after her wrapped head to toe in a blanket. Michelle runs inside the farmhouse and tries to go for her gun but realizes its on the inside of the suit, so she frantically tries to get it out while Howard tries to barge down the door. The gun slips out of Michelle's wet gloves and she runs for the kitchen where he pleads for her not to go. He says the air is toxic and she argues that she is breathing fine and how the blanket isn't protecting him. He counters by saying the rain must have washed it away for the time being but Michelle thinks its bs. She stabs him with a butcher knife she found in one the drawers and runs up the closest set of stairs. Upstairs she sees his truck behind the house, but the jump down is too high so she hides in the bathroom with a can of bathroom cleaner. Howard finds her but she sprays him, blinding him. She manages to get the gun back and he says she doesn't have the guts to kill him. He talks about how his daughter moved away to DC, wife died, and how it changed him and made him go crazy enough to kill Nate. Michelle says his stories are all fake and she shoots him in the knee. As she runs down the stairs she notices a family portrait of Howard, his wife, and his daughter Megan, realizing that part was true. She gets in his truck and it starts no problem. She goes to the nearest gas station and nobody is there and the payphones don't work, so she gets back in the truck and continues to drive on the empty roads. Hours later the rain has stopped and she crests a hill towards Chicago. At the top she sees the city in ruins from a bombing... she is shocked that Howard told the truth. She pulls the hazmat mask back on her face and takes a breath as the film cuts to the credits."

They probably added that scene of her seeing someone outside begging to be let in too because this version sounds like she doesn't know what's going on until the very end.

In the original his daughter really did move away and a bombing really did happen. That was the twist. There were no aliens. It sounds so much better and it bums me out that they changed it to make more money.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

^ I think that would have been a better tie in with the original Cloverfield.  Military using toxic gas to kill the monster that's now made it's way from New York City to mainland America.   They could have shown the monster still walking around as an end credits easter egg.  

• Like 6

I absolutely loved the movie...

Until the last ten minutes come in and blew everything that was making the movie so great.  It felt tacked on, and barely any foreshadowing of it.  I get the point, the aliens weren't nearly as scary of a monster as John Goodman, but if they were going that route I think we needed to know beforehand she could either face the aliens outside or Goodman inside.  I also get the point that Goodman was much scarier than the Aliens, but I just felt the last ten minutes were out of an entirely different film.

As for the rest, brilliant performances, especially from Goodman, you could barely breathe the tension was so high.  Winstead did a fantastic job, both her and Goodman were awards worthy (not that they'll actually get an Oscar nom).  The dialogue was tight, the design and shots worked great to make you feel trapped in there with them.  A spot on thriller/horror film that manages to keep you frightened through means most fail to do nowadays.  

Maybe I'll warm up to the alien bit, but it's the one part keeping my grade down from the A range.

B+, I may increase my grade it depends if I warm up to the last 10 minutes or not.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, somebody85 said:

This was how it originally ended apparently:

"Michelle escapes in the hazmat suit and its raining outside. She see's Nate's body (Emmett in the rewrite... they changed his character quite a bit) and takes off her mask realizing the air is fine. Howard comes out of the bunker chasing after her wrapped head to toe in a blanket. Michelle runs inside the farmhouse and tries to go for her gun but realizes its on the inside of the suit, so she frantically tries to get it out while Howard tries to barge down the door. The gun slips out of Michelle's wet gloves and she runs for the kitchen where he pleads for her not to go. He says the air is toxic and she argues that she is breathing fine and how the blanket isn't protecting him. He counters by saying the rain must have washed it away for the time being but Michelle thinks its bs. She stabs him with a butcher knife she found in one the drawers and runs up the closest set of stairs. Upstairs she sees his truck behind the house, but the jump down is too high so she hides in the bathroom with a can of bathroom cleaner. Howard finds her but she sprays him, blinding him. She manages to get the gun back and he says she doesn't have the guts to kill him. He talks about how his daughter moved away to DC, wife died, and how it changed him and made him go crazy enough to kill Nate. Michelle says his stories are all fake and she shoots him in the knee. As she runs down the stairs she notices a family portrait of Howard, his wife, and his daughter Megan, realizing that part was true. She gets in his truck and it starts no problem. She goes to the nearest gas station and nobody is there and the payphones don't work, so she gets back in the truck and continues to drive on the empty roads. Hours later the rain has stopped and she crests a hill towards Chicago. At the top she sees the city in ruins from a bombing... she is shocked that Howard told the truth. She pulls the hazmat mask back on her face and takes a breath as the film cuts to the credits."

They probably added that scene of her seeing someone outside begging to be let in too because this version sounds like she doesn't know what's going on until the very end.

In the original his daughter really did move away and a bombing really did happen. That was the twist. There were no aliens. It sounds so much better and it bums me out that they changed it to make more money.

Had that been the ending this would have gotten a solid A from me.  Whether or not it was aliens or an invasion or whatever should have been open for interpretation.  The way they did it actually left questions that you wanted answered completely ignored in replace of a 10 minute action sequence.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 0:24 AM, somebody85 said:

She is such a pleasure to look at and she played Michelle much in the same vein as Erin from "You're Next"

I thought Winstead was awesome in this but she doesn't quite compare to the chick from You're Next. If we ever go camping in the woods, I know that bitch would keep my family and I safe from bears.

Wow this was a disappointment. It's like they took the worst 20 minutes of war of the world's and stretched it into a feature length film. The end was ridiculously anti climatic, next time actually make a cloverfield sequel 

And that's because of the acting.

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

10 Cloverfield Lane might not be one of the best directorial debuts, but it is by far one of the most confident I've seen. Every shot feels like plenty of thought has been put into it, and the kind of visual storytelling rarely seen in mainstream movies these days. The opening sequence feels straight out of an 80s or 90s sci-fi classic, and I feel comfortable calling this an original sci-fi despite the franchise in the title. To be honest, choosing to make Cloverfield an anthology franchise is a much better decision than more monster movies, as this film works the magic of mystery in far better ways than the original ever did.

Winstead and Goodman both deserve high praise for their roles, the former holding the movie together and the latter giving a tour de force performance showing how to make little screentime matter. The twists and turns of the plot are always exciting, and the characters don't do anything bizarre; everyone is true to their selves. The score by Bear McCreary is also worth mentioning, as it adds to the atmosphere and some of the film's best moments are thanks solely in sound to him.

Overall, 10 Cloverfield Lane is a shocking spit in the face to the idea of sci-fi franchises today, but one that'll make you want to see more and more Cloverfield movies for years to come. Dan Trachtenberg's first cinematic attempt succeeds in nearly every way, perfectly tense and wonderfully mysterious. B+

• Like 2

Finally seen it. Loved it.

I'll start by adressing the big elephant in the room here: at 1st, I really disliked the ending. Felt it was nothing more than a 360 degree turn from what been built up. But then, the more I thought about it, the more I warmed to it, since not only did it provide a proper conclusion to Michelle's arc, but it left me wanting to see more. It left me wanting to see just how did this and Cloverfield tie together. Gotta say that I love the idea of Cloverfield becoming a Final Fantasy type franchise where every entry is an anthology deal w/different new characters, creatures and plotlines. It's refreshing in an all-sequels and cinematic universes world. For a completely phoned in and rushed ending to try to convince everybody that this movie existed within that universe, could've been worse.

Everything else? Flawless, honestly. I liked Mary Liz since I 1st saw her in Final Destination 3, but this was something I didn't quite think she had it on her. She was spectacular, and I definitely would love to see a sequel around the badass, smart and well written Michelle. John Galliger Jr. was really good too. But of course, this shit was The John Goodman Show, and he was absolutely Oscar worthy. Mary Liz kinda was too, but Goodman should be taken seriously as a nominee. The soundtrack, the direction, the cinematography, the script, the camera work... All stupendous. Tension was mountain high in some parts. Really well paced and edited, and surprisingly funny as well. Entertained me WAY too much for me to even remember to try to figure out where was a Cloverfield connection in the middle of all of this.

****1/4 => A

anyone else think this is related to the proposed half life and portal movies which bad robot is making? besides the obvious similarities plot-wise to half life, there are more than a few references to Valve's games universe.

Loved the movie. It had great acting and was suspenseful.John Goodman was so great in this. I wish they would have kept the original title. It would made the last 10-15 minutes more of shock since by the name of the title you knew Goodman was telling the truth rather than just being a crazy person.  This is way better than Cloverfield

4.5/5

• Like 1

Liked it.

Would have preferred a more ambiguous ending, but the way they did it gave the movie a sweet B-movie vibe, which I didn't mind either.

It was also refreshing to see a "sequel" where you had no idea what to expect.

8/10

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 2

Nice movie, would have been better if it wasn't attached to Cloverfield and had a mysteriousnous about it. You felt there was some sort of alien/monster shenanigans going on from the start. The last 15 minutes was too wacky!

Edited by IronJimbo

An absolutely fantastic movie from beginning to end. The cast is terrific. The whole thing kept me guessing about what was happening outside ( :sadben::sadben: ). MEW is life. The final 15 minutes were absolutely mental in 4DX. I will re-watch this a lot. Hopefully we will get more Cloverfield movies.

• Like 2

the last 10 minutes kinda threw me off,  it wasn't bad (pretty tense for the most part actually), but it kinda seemed to belong to a Syfy film or something. The last 30 seconds are definitely bad, though.

Don't get me wrong, I had a great time watching 10CL, pretty tense and slick picture, but that last minutes keeps it from being great.

Also, cast is on point here, Goodman is the standout (might be one of his best performances yet), MEW struggles at the very first scene, but then she shows us why she should be cast in everything. Goddess.

and why isn't no one talking about its nifty sense of humor? it was fucking glorious, I died every time the music got progressively louder like something would happen then nothing happened.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1