Bishop54

Weekend Thread: Grimsby Bros leads the way with massive 3.1M, 10CL has decent 25.2M, Zootopia crumbles to $50M ;) P.31

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

False advertising is when they sell something that doesn't exist (like Weinstein selling Carol as a thriller- dead- in later TV spots). The marketing for 10 Cloverfield Lane has made it clear that it's about Mary Elizabeth Winstead trying to get away from captor John Goodman. The only false advertising is if you go into the theater just knowing the title (although I guess it's debatable how remembered Cloverfield is among the general audience 8 years later).

Thanks for the spoiler, the trailer did not make it out like he was holding her captive. Really appreciate you spoiling a movie in the box office weekend thread

Paramount is having a good recovery after Zoolander 2, 13 Hours, and Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Sony needs to find some way to make some $$$ back after Grimsby. They have Angry Birds, Ghostbusters, and Sausage Party in the summer. Magnificent Seven in the fall. But 2017 is gonna be their best year since 2012! I can feel it 

10 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

Thanks for the spoiler, the trailer did not make it out like he was holding her captive. Really appreciate you spoiling a movie in the box office weekend thread

....is it really a spoiler? Just from the trailer it shows her trying to get away from him. That's made up most of the marketing campaign (along with the mysterious title).

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

....is it really a spoiler? Just from the trailer it shows her trying to get away from him. That's made up most of the marketing campaign (along with the mysterious title).

It didn't look like her trying to get away from him, rather her just trying to get out of the shelter.

whatevs. stop this conversation before ya spoil more for me.

1 minute ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

It didn't look like her trying to get away from him, rather her just trying to get out of the shelter.

whatevs. stop this conversation before ya spoil more for me.

I was only saying what the marketing has put out there, not spoiling any of the actual movie. I haven't seen it yet.

11 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

That's what the first trailer implied, but the Super Bowl spot and onwards doesn't.

2ND UPDATE Refresh for updates Zootopia and 10 Cloverfield Lane are the two top travel destinations for moviegoers this weekend. Disney’s animated film is looking to collect in the high $40M, while Paramount/Bad Robot’s thriller is looking at $32M. Both titles respective Friday hauls are currently $500K apart, $12M to $11.5M. The box office business theory never gets too old: matinees will continually be a family title’s best friend.

• Like 4

Also, it looks like Cloverfield will make up for all of Paramount's losses on Zoolander and 13 Hours, maybe even WTF's losses as well. Now they just have to hope Star Trek and TMNT do well enough to offset Ben-Hur's upcoming losses.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

2ND UPDATE Refresh for updates Zootopia and 10 Cloverfield Lane are the two top travel destinations for moviegoers this weekend. Disney’s animated film is looking to collect in the high $40M, while Paramount/Bad Robot’s thriller is looking at $32M. Both titles respective Friday hauls are currently $500K apart, $12M to $11.5M. The box office business theory never gets too old: matinees will continually be a family title’s best friend.

That's quite solid

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Also, it looks like Cloverfield will make up for all of Paramount's losses on Zoolander and 13 Hours, maybe even WTF's losses as well. Now they just have to hope Star Trek and TMNT do well enough to offset Ben-Hur's upcoming losses.

Ben-Hur would need the power of overseas

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Ben-Hur is being released OS by MGM so I guess they didn't covered the whole budget.