Bishop54

Weekend Thread: Grimsby Bros leads the way with massive 3.1M, 10CL has decent 25.2M, Zootopia crumbles to $50M ;) P.31

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

WB's summer looks a bit questionable outside of Suicide Squad.

The Conjuring is going to be gigantic and Central Intelligence should gross 100M. The Nice Guys could catch on as well.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Its interesting reading Boxofficeguru's archives (something I do from time to time) but Paramount was like THE studio from 2007-2009/10 and it was Fox / Universal that was in the dumps.... just goes to show that everything is cyclical....

As for the Sony Talk - Inferno should make 100m it was a "better" (if you can call it that) book than either Davinci or the Lost Symbol (I will always think Angels/Demons is the best unless DBrown just blows me away (not)) and Angels proved that there is a market for those type films - length of time between releases could hurt it, but it all depends on how it's marketed.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

The Conjuring is going to be gigantic and Central Intelligence should gross 100M. The Nice Guys could catch on as well.

The Conjuring 2 could very easily be The Ring 2 all over again but I guess we'll see. I can't wait to see The Nice Guys but it's unlikely to have mass appeal.

Just now, filmlover said:

The Conjuring 2 could very easily be The Ring 2 all over again but I guess we'll see. I can't wait to see The Nice Guys but it's unlikely to have mass appeal.

it will be the Ring 2 all over again.... not that it wont make a decent profit.

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Its interesting reading Boxofficeguru's archives (something I do from time to time) but Paramount was like THE studio from 2007-2009/10 and it was Fox / Universal that was in the dumps.... just goes to show that everything is cyclical....

To be fair, a lot of those titles were DreamWorks movies that they merely handled marketing and distributing for under their deal after they shut down that side of the business. And yay at someone else going through the BOG archives like I do.

Mark my words: if it's as good as the first, The Conjuring 2 will be the 1st horror movie to cross 150M DOM since What Lies Beneath. James Wan has kinda become one of those directors who can sell a movie based off of his name alone, and now after Furious 7, even more so. Between that, Central Intelligence (The Rock is coming off of 2012 Rip-Off aka San Andreas doing over 150M + Kevin Hart who is also a certified draw) and of course Suicide Squad, WB is fine for Summer this year.

Plus, whatever losings they might take w/the smaller flicks, they'll have the BVS profit to make up for them.

26 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Dictator's budget was 65M so it has to be at least 60M

La La Land is going to be a big hit (maybe Deepwater Horizon too?) and their losses shouldn't be as bad as Sony's

Based on what? 

Musicals aren't the safest bets. Deepwater Horizon could easily end up like Everest. Lionsgate basically dumped it September, so it isn't their big Oscar push and apparently is moving onto 'Patriots' Day' (the other Berg-Walhberg collaboration) 

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, a lot of those titles were DreamWorks movies that they merely handled marketing and distributing for under their deal after they shut down that side of the business. And yay at someone else going through the BOG archives like I do.

True - but the same could be said about the balance sheets at other studios (in particular New Line being added WB etc.)

Either way, it is sad that such a prominent and old studio (Paramount) is basically coasting

And it's terrible I have reread from 2005 forward since last week..... middle of 2009 summer now lol it's nice to relive old memories which makes me think of either BOF or MOJO and the many discussions that were had.

Edited by narniadis

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

My prediction is that all 3 will fail to reach the 100M mark. Angry Birds is the one with the best shot of passing it. Marketing has been solid for it.

Right now, I doubt either Inferno or Ghostbusters beat Pixels.

How about a "no 2016 Sony movie over 100 m" club.

On 3/10/2016 at 4:22 PM, Ethan Hunt said:

Wait... Louis Leterrier directed Brothers Grimsby... 

What? It's not like Leterrier actually has his own style, or anything like that.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

26 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

LOST already explained everything. :P

Except the thing about Walt being so special the show dumped him at the end of Season 2 and promptly ignored that plotline for the rest of the way.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, babz06 said:

Based on what? 

Musicals aren't the safest bets. Deepwater Horizon could easily end up like Everest. Lionsgate basically dumped it September, so it isn't their big Oscar push and apparently is moving onto 'Patriots' Day' (the other Berg-Walhberg collaboration) 

La La Land was just moved to December because of insane test screening reactions so it might catch on there more than it would in the summer, especially if it becomes an awards player (which is highly possible). As for Deepwater Horizon, it's the kind of movie that makes perfect sense as a September release. No one's expecting blockbuster numbers for it.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

La La Land was just moved to December because of insane test screening reactions so it might catch on there more than it would in the summer, especially if it becomes an awards player (which is highly possible). As for Deepwater Horizon, it's the kind of movie that makes perfect sense as a September release. No one's expecting blockbuster numbers for it.

Its a mid-budget true story drama, those things don't survive in today's market without marquee names, fantastic reviews and an awards push. All im saying is that they clearly don't have hopes for it. La La Land moving to December  means they're  probably going to plan an awards campaign for that one.

Edited by babz06

Just now, babz06 said:

Its a true story drama, those things don't survive in today's market without fantastic reviews and an awards push. 

It'll all depend of reviews and marketing. Clearly it'll have plenty of competition for adults around that time (The Magnificent Seven, The Girl on the Train).