Bishop54

Weekend Thread: Grimsby Bros leads the way with massive 3.1M, 10CL has decent 25.2M, Zootopia crumbles to $50M ;) P.31

26 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Count me as someone who didn't know Leterrier directed Grimsby until today. I shouldn't be surprised; he's a terrific comedy director.

When I first seen the trailer and it mentioned from the director of Now You See Me it kinda surprised me.

I loved Cloverfield! I didn't look at my phone once. It's tense and claustrophobic and keeps you guessing and on the edge of your seat. Loved Goodman, Winstead (nice to see her actually working) and the guy from Short Term 12 whose name idk. It does have problems, though.

Spoiler

I felt like the movie cheated. Either Goodman should have been bad and there was nothing up there, or he should have been good and there was something up there. Instead the movie wanted to have it both ways and it didn't quite make sense. I get why they did it -- making him bad kept things creepier and more exciting in the basement. And giving us a big CG monster extravaganza ending satisfied those who wanted more than psychological suspense. But it didn't quite track for me. I also thought Winstead's character arc was a little too on the nose (she runs from her problems at the beginning. She confesses to Emmett that she always runs from problems. But wouldn't you know it, at the very end she drives straight toward the problem! A runner no more!).

Still, a solid B+. I hope it does over $60M DBO. 

With an 11m Friday Id say a 43m is the min for Zootopia this weekend.

45-46m would be my guess.

50m would be the max.

If the Friday can get up to around 12-13m, I think a 50m second weekend is in the ballpark.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Go Cloverfield!

This is such an easy movie to root for: it's easy to root for John Goodman, for Mary Elizabeth Winstead (why is Hollywood sleeping on her while overrating mediocrity like JLaw?), for JJ and for the horror genre. 

Lol

Mediocrity 

1 oscar. 3 golden globes 

Carried a billion dollar franchise, costars in another. 

Stars in, rare these days, 100m+ adult dramas

Loved and watched by all demos old/young male female.

Can hold/steal a scene from deniro.

She is Meryl Streep on steroids and is only 25.

Best start of any Hollywood career ever at any age

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1