Bishop54

Weekend Thread: Grimsby Bros leads the way with massive 3.1M, 10CL has decent 25.2M, Zootopia crumbles to $50M ;) P.31

8 minutes ago, 75live said:

you can't go to sleep, who else is going to keep the running thing of the star wars blu ray should be released before the movie came out with me :P  I mean you started it after all ;) 

That's still going on? Poor Sean

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

Woah, that's a stretch. It's a bit premature to predict a sum that big.

Not really. In China 220m USD is expected :

9 hours ago, Infernus said:

Zootopia's performance in China has been so so so much more incredible than here.

It released day and date in China. 

OW -

US 75m $

China (and it was a full 3 day one)  23.6m $

2nd Weekend 

US ~50m$

China (and no this is not an exceptionally leggy market, probably less so than US and movies fall just as much in their second weekend as here) 60m$+ (WTF!!)

Another fact, its OD has been its lowest day yet and looks to remain so until after the next weekend.

Its receiving exceptional WOM and performing in an out of the world manner. And with no real marketing campaign. Purely WOM driven run. Will make atleast 220m$ even if it has a relatively normal run now. Even that would be 70m, or around 50%, more than the previous animated film record that was just made last month by KFP3, a film with the best of marketing campaign, at the topmost completely-another level of its genre in the country and which was specially made for chinese audience (to be noted though that KFP3 would have made atleast 250m$ but for the terribly horrific release date it got)

Its a run of wonders. 

So needs 280m dom for China + Dom to be 500m.

If it does better than 220m USD in China then that much less than 280m dom it needs.

Maybe I'll see Zootopia this week. Big Hero was my favorite non Pixar Disney animated film of the decade btw. (I really don't see anyone my age loving Frozen that much, most seem to prefer Tangled, whats so ironic about Frozen/Tangled love is that in the early 2000's everyone made fun of Disney films for characters singing but that is another story)

So at my theatre, Cloverfield Lane did $4.8M Friday but jumped to $9.1M today. Meanwhile Eddie the Eagle is going to open to around 15-16M.

Yup, Zootopia is most of our business.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

Not really. In China 220m USD is expected :

So needs 280m dom for China + Dom to be 500m.

If it does better than 220m USD in China then that much less than 280m dom it needs.

Oh, I thought you said it was going to make $500 million in China, which would be awesome, but just a little unrealistic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

So at my theatre, Cloverfield Lane did $4.8M Friday but jumped to $9.1M today. Meanwhile Eddie the Eagle is going to open to around 15-16M.

You mean thousands and not millions, yes?

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

Glad Eddie's doing well for you guys. I can't wait to see it on Tuesday, but we still don't have it hitting general release in the UK until the 28th!

Edited by SchumacherFTW
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

You mean thousands and not millions, yes?

No. He has worked out a formula and determine what business the films did at his theater....he then extrapolates and then gives us the equivalent of what thatnumber would be in north america.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

No. He has worked out a formula and determine what business the films did at his theater....he then extrapolates and then gives us the equivalent of what thatnumber would be in north america.

That's actually amazing.

• Like 1

The title says 12.5m for ZOOTP despite being 12m.

HOW DARE YOU MODS SHOW SUCH BIAS...IF THIS WERE A MARVEL OW THREAD YOU WOULD SHOW HALF A MILLION LESS INSTEAD OF MORE.

:circles:

:)

24 minutes ago, a2knet said:

The title says 12.5m for ZOOTP despite being 12m.

HOW DARE YOU MODS SHOW SUCH BIAS...IF THIS WERE A MARVEL OW THREAD YOU WOULD SHOW HALF A MILLION LESS INSTEAD OF MORE.

:circles:

:)

:kitschjob:

Even ignoring Pixar's worst (Cars 2 in 2011) if you look at movies 2012 on-wards, WDAS has a better track-record/line-up than Pixar.....IMO :)

2012 - WiR, Brave [Advantage WDAS]

2013 - Frozen, MU [Advanage WDAS]

2014/15 - BH6, IO + TGD [Tie. IO gave a small advantage to Pixar but TGD's negativity took some away from it and BH6 was good enough to help WDAS balance things]

2016 - Zootopia + Moana, Dory [Advantage WDAS. Even if Dory matches Zootopia's reception I expect Moana to be positive for WDAS unlike how TGD was for Pixar]

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

:kitschjob:

Was mocking the anger on Civil War thread yesterday or the day before, about how the titles on DC threads are updated better than Marvel threads because of a pro-DC bias.

My failed attempt at humor :mellow:

Edited by a2knet

8 hours ago, Impact said:

Even stranger, its per showing average is 750 dollars, did tickets cost 300 bucks or something?

Sony just bought the tickets, they didn't stay and watch.  Must be hell on the concessions though it makes it easier on the cleaning crew.

Sony should have done this shit when they did the re-expansion and the 2 for 1 deal so we could all pretend that it maybe worked and got more people buying. This is just so obviously bullshit I'm embarrassed for them.

2 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

if John goodman doesn't get an Oscar nom for 10CL then there's literally no hope in this world.  he was FANTASTIC

Good luck with that one. Probably just as good a chance as my Toby Kebbell (for DotPotA) support from a couple years ago.

13 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Good luck with that one. Probably just as good a chance as my Toby Kebbell (for DotPotA) support from a couple years ago.

Dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Lol.

To be fair, if there's enough support, I think it can happen. There's a very slim chance, sure - franchise movie, coming out in March and all that. But you never know. I mean, off the top of my head, considering how predictable the Oscars are, I assume that Fassbender will be nominated for Light Between Oceans, maybe Michael Keaton for The Founder, Joseph Gordon Levitt for Snowden and probably Nate Parker for Birth Of A Nation. It would be weird to see a performance from 10 Cloverfield Lane side amongst those, but I guess it could kinda make up for the snubbing of Charlize Theron for Fury Road.