Fancyarcher

The Shape of Water (Cold War supernatural thriller) | Dec 8 2017 | Del Toro co-writing/directing | Sally Hawkins, Octavia Spencer, Michael Shannon

21 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Yes, I believe he did some work on it.

I believe he may have been involved with the art direction or some kind of directing. Though I'm not 100% certain. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=&release=&date=2017-12-01&showweeks=5&p=.htm

Moved up a week to December 1st limited. Interesting.

They're following the same release pattern as Black Swan, probably. Some of the local arthouse theaters have it listed to open on December 22 so I imagine it'll be in wide release by Christmas Day.

• Like 1

This is hands down one of Sally Hawkins' best roles of her career and she never even says a word. We know how Hawkins sound like but just to see her flawlessly express her dialogue through sign language is magnificent. There is a scene where she’s acting her ass off as she expressly explains how she feels about The Asset and it really just gives give you chills because all of her dialogue is in sign language. For a long time, you’re so drawn to her performance that you believe that Hawkins is mute. In a MoMA Q&A I attended, del Toro revealed that he made Hawkins study silent film legends of the past including Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, and Charlie Chaplin to help get a sense of the character and how her performance should be. Well now knowing this kind of makes one convinced that Hawkins stayed up for weeks studying these films like it was a college assignment and it all paid off.

If all we’re going to get from now are on are R-rated films from del Toro, then I would want them to all feel like this where it is realistic and has a human theme within the realm of weirdness. Its as if del Toro saw “Beauty and the Beast” and literally said that his next film would be, “The Mute and the Missing Link Monster.” On the surface, this might be a strange story especially considering that there is an intimate scene between Elisa and The Asset (Don’t worry you don’t see any creature-human sex scene) but some way the romance between Elisa and the monster is believable. It earns your emotion for you to root for them the entire way through. Director Guillermo del Toro does a brilliant job displaying characters motivations and fleshing them out at on a complex degree. Some of their arcs are done by the second act, and then some go on for a while, but it does progress the story and the urgency. The film has the visual beauty of "Pan’s Labyrinth" mixed in with "Crimson Peak" and the comedic tone of a "Hellboy" movie. While some of his past films were imbalanced with more thrills than a steady tone, this knows what it's trying to go for and excels at it. There is a balance with both the thrills, the humor, and the intensity. The story is predictable but the lengths it goes by having all of these likable characters helmed by a remarkable performance by Hawkins.

IMG_0431.jpg?format=300w

IMG_20170607_114357724.jpg?format=300w

FULL REVIEW HERE: https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//the-shape-of-water-review

(I met del Toro at a screening on Sun. and Hawkins when she came to my job months ago for Maudie but I found it relevant for this obviously)

Edited by rjones1325
  • Like 7