cannastop

Monday: Zootopia makes $3.72 million, Allegiant $2.02M, Heaven $1.35M, 10 Cloverfield $1.23M, Deadpool $0.87M

Weren't people using the Spring break excuse for Zootopia's "over performance" last week?

A sub-20% week-to-week drop is not normal. I don't care what anyone says. Last week people were comparing this to Rango to make its numbers sound normal. Rango had a 50%+ drop on the following Monday. But now that Zootopia is showing its a different animal, people are suddenly ignoring that comparison and swapping the measuring stick to Home's opening week to make these numbers sound predictable?

I'm going to drop a truth bomb on you all: Zootopia is quietly having a phenomenal run and $300M is very, very likely now. And this is coming from someone who said $285M was the ceiling just a week and a half ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it beat Shrek the Third's total domestic gross at this rate.

Keep it up Zootopia. Don't let the lack of people's attention/respect discourage you ;).

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Weren't people using the Spring break excuse for Zootopia's "over performance" last week?

A sub-20% week-to-week drop is not normal. I don't care what anyone says. Last week people were comparing this to Rango to make its numbers sound normal. Rango had a 50%+ drop on the following Monday. But now that Zootopia is showing its a different animal, people are suddenly ignoring that comparison and swapping the measuring stick to Home's opening week to make these numbers sound predictable?

I'm going to drop a truth bomb on you all: Zootopia is quietly having a phenomenal run and $300M is very, very likely now. And this is coming from someone who said $285M was the ceiling just a week and a half ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it beat Shrek the Third's total domestic gross at this rate.

Keep it up Zootopia. Don't let the lack of people's attention/respect discourage you ;).

Spring break doesn't happen at the same time everywhere. Last week about ~25% of the schools were out. This week it's ~30%.

It's not an "excuse" for the performance, it's a contributing factor. There is no one thing that explains why a film does what it does. In fact, because each film is its own thing, and there are so many factors, we can never have perfect performance comparisons.

That's why people look at multiple films for comparison. If all of them are imperfect comparisons, we can still look at it in terms of those performances. Even if it continues to beat those expectations, it's still a valid point to look at those comparisons. Because we still need such data points if we're trying to build a prediction model.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Spring break doesn't happen at the same time everywhere. Last week about ~25% of the schools were out. This week it's ~30%.

It's not an "excuse" for the performance, it's a contributing factor. There is no one thing that explains why a film does what it does. In fact, because each film is its own thing, and there are so many factors, we can never have perfect performance comparisons.

That's why people look at multiple films for comparison. If all of them are imperfect comparisons, we can still look at it in terms of those performances. Even if it continues to beat those expectations, it's still a valid point to look at those comparisons. Because we still need such data points if we're trying to build a prediction model.

See, this is the first time I've heard someone say that more schools were out this week than last week. Last week, I recall the vast majority of posters saying that the MAJORITY of schools were out last week, and that this current week very few would be out and that we would "finally" see some falling numbers in line with Rango, but okay.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just bitter because I feel like everyone keeps changing their tune in possibly attempting to downsize Zootopia's performance. It's literally on pace to have the highest fourth weekend ever for an animated film, and possibly be in the top 7 all time in fourth weekends. No film in the top 7 on that list has grossed less than $403M domestically, so that's a very good sign. Yet when Zootopia grosses over $27M this weekend, I'm already ready for the posts claiming "but Spring Break" this and "well SvB had bad reception" that and so on. Heck it wouldn't surprise me if people claim that Zootopia's main character is a bunny, so that's obviously why the hold on Easter was great! Certainly not because of how great the film is itself or anything!

I guess I just feel like people aren't accrediting Zootopia's run to great WOM and film quality enough. I saw the film and thought it was Disney at its best and I wish people would give it the attention it deserves. Most people seem to be all over Spring break inflation for some reason as the primary factor for its success, when really it's a lot more than just that.

17 hours ago, Chaz said:

With $300 million for Zootopia, $220 million for the Jungle Book, $380 million for Finding Dory, $315 million for Civil War, $200 million for Moana and $185 million for Doctor Strange, are we looking at Disney winning 2016? Looks likely.

Looks likely even when you don't mention Rogue One :lol:

18 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

True. But it only needs to have a higher OD than Zootopia's $19M OD.

Maybe $25-35M OD and $85-115M OW......and then....it could get over $400M DOM....and probably over $1B WW.

No animated family film has even come close to that in November. You really think that's a likely scenario?

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

No animated family film has even come close to that in November. You really think that's a likely scenario?

Well, with the greatwill from Zootopia and the fact that there isn't any other animated film that will get close to what Moana will earn....it has a strong chance of being a breakout.

Plus, it has Dwayne Johnson voicing a character in that movie.

24 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Well, with the greatwill from Zootopia and the fact that there isn't any other animated film that will get close to what Moana will earn....it has a strong chance of being a breakout.

Plus, it has Dwayne Johnson voicing a character in that movie.

Yeah, the goodwill from Inside Out really saved The Good Dinosaur.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yeah, the goodwill from Inside Out really saved The Good Dinosaur.

Um.....The Good Dinosaur had troubled marketing & nonexistent marketing. And the WOM for that Pixar-film was more lukewarm. And  it barely made it's budget back.

Moana is no "The Good Dinosaur", though. It looks far more stronger than any other film, coming out in November (Well, Fantastic Beasts may not be that weak of a competitor). I don't think comparing "Moana" to "The Good Dinosaur" is really that necessary, in terms of box office.

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Um.....The Good Dinosaur had troubled marketing & nonexistent marketing. And the WOM for that Pixar-film was more lukewarm. And  it barely made it's budget back.

Moana is no "The Good Dinosaur", though. It looks far more stronger than any other film, coming out in November (Well, Fantastic Beasts may not be that weak of a competitor). I don't think comparing "Moana" to "The Good Dinosaur" is really that necessary, in terms of box office.

How does it look stronger when all we have are a few images of concept art?

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Disney-brand name, dude. :)

And it's true...you do have a point about there being very little images of concept art. But once we get closer to November....people will know what to expect from Disney and they will go see something that looks very appealing and is worth watching. And then we'll say "Of course it's gonna be a big success."

Don't doubt about Moana being a big hit, at all. The curiosity will be there for Moana.

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

The Disney-brand name, dude. :)

And it's true...you do have a point about there being very little images of concept art. But once we get closer to November....people will know what to expect from Disney and they will go see something that looks very appealing and is worth watching. And then we'll say "Of course it's gonna be a big success."

Don't doubt about Moana being a big hit, at all. The curiosity will be there for Moana.

The Good Dinosaur had Disney and Pixar. This is a pretty thin argument :lol: 

moana is a follow up to both frozen as the next disney animated princess musical movie, and zootopia as the next disney animated movie. it would be very unfortunate if this was where they drop the ball considering how amazing it looks

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Good Dinosaur's problem was that it had troubled marketing and average WOM. That film didn't do very well.

Don't try and spin my words just to prove me wrong. Cause that's all you do.

And your attempt of proving people wrong.....is even thinner. I don't care what YOU think.....i care what other people will think about Moana.....when THEY will see it.

Just now, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

The Good Dinosaur's problem was that it had troubled marketing and average WOM. That film didn't do very well.

Don't try and spin my words just to prove me wrong. Cause that's all you do.

And your attempt of proving people wrong.....is even thinner. I don't care what YOU think.....i care what other people will think about Moana.....when THEY will see it.

I'm not spinning any of your words at all. When I asked you how does it look stronger when all we have is concept art, you said "The Disney-brand name, dude.:) "

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm not spinning any of your words at all. When I asked you how does it look stronger when all we have is concept art, you said "The Disney-brand name, dude.:) "

Yeah, i said that......but i meant the Disney-brand name by itself individually.....not with the help of Pixar. The Disney-brand name's popularity as itself...has finally come back with Frozen, Big Hero 6 and now Zootopia. Keep in mind, Frozen is still the highest grossing animated film of all time. Big Hero was the #1 animated film of 2014, WW-wise...with $657M. And now, Zootopia is closing in to the $900M-1B WW-range.

And with the greatwill of all those 3 movies, it gives Moana room to continue that strong Disney-streak and keep the momentum going.