CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

1 minute ago, #ED said:

NCAA Basketball Tournament, which does draw a decent amount of ratings.

Negligible I'd say dude, no Masters this year on Easter either, baseball still a couple weeks out & NBA/NHL are just about to hit playoffs. It's a great weekend or should be for the target demo.

6 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

Today isn't a holiday for everybody 

Good Friday is why Easter w/e is traditionally front loaded.  It a holiday for Canada, a State holiday for 13 states, schools are out in even more states than that and it's still rotating spring break. 

6 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

If it falls 11% then say 33% the next day it is exactly following ultron down to the same opening day today it can hit 190

you misunderstand - -11% from friday-minus previews: which with an 84m OD would equate to right around 167-169m weekend nowhere close to 190. It's not touching 190.

1 minute ago, VGPOP said:

People are seriously saying good Friday is a holiday? I had to work. All the businesses we are partnered worked. Today was a normal day. Schools were out but that was because spring break which is not a single day. 

A holiday for me is Christmas, memorial day, July 4th, thanksgiving..... Not good Friday!

Box office wise, yes it is.  And yes, a lot of people get off on good Friday (I did for example)

Just now, boomboom234 said:

Just because it opened the same weekend doesn't mean furious 7 is a good comparison the two franchises have nothing in common

They have one thing in common!

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Good Friday is why Easter w/e is traditionally front loaded.  It a holiday for Canada, a State holiday for 13 states, schools are out in even more states than that and it's still rotating spring break. 

There haven't been enough major Easter openers to make that claim yet one movie is not a trend. For example the next highest weekend clash of the Titans had an 18% drop Saturday there isn't enough data to make a reference this is only the second major movie to try this 

Edited by boomboom234

2 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

People are seriously saying good Friday is a holiday? I had to work. All the businesses we are partnered worked. Today was a normal day. Schools were out but that was because spring break which is not a single day. 

A holiday for me is Christmas, memorial day, July 4th, thanksgiving..... Not good Friday!

At least a quarter of adults get the day off in the US. Additionally, many schools have the day off, a factor compounded by other schools being on Spring Break at the same time. You can see the effect this has on dailies when Furious 7 opened: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2015-04-04&track=fast7.htm

This is Easter's weekend. Whoever is hoping for softer drops than AoU are in for a huge awakening, and that's not even about the negative buzz, but the nature of a weekend like this. The negative buzz + Easter equals that drops will be sharp, and a scenario under $160m isn't out of the picture, even with the film going high end of what the Asgardian projected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boomboom234 said:

If it falls 11% then say 33% the next day it is exactly following ultron down to the same opening day today it can hit 190

Not exactly. Let's give it 83M today. That 27.7 from last night and a true Friday of 55.3. An 11% drop tomorrow from 55.3 gives you 49.2. A 33% drop on Sunday is 33m. That gives you 165.2m. I think it'll hold better than 33% on Sunday. I mentioned earlier I believe 83 today would give it 168 for the weekend. 

1 minute ago, boomboom234 said:

Just because it opened the same weekend doesn't mean furious 7 is a good comparison the two franchises have nothing in common

They actually kinda do. High visibility, huge upfront demand, certainly frontloaded because of initial rush by fans, the exact same weekend of the year... BVS should be somewhat more frontloaded, but it's a solid comparison.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

Are you fricking serious??? F7 may not have been a superhero movie but it meets the definition of a huge fan-driven event film and it opened to 147 MILLION FUCKING dollars.... get a grip man its a great comparison for multiple reasons that I wont go into because they are OBVIOUS.

Edited by narniadis

2 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I'll most likely catch this on TNT in a Double Header with TDK since TNT loves the Nolan Bat Trilogy..

Eh, I dunno, man, I think it's worth catching in your favorite large-format theater. Matinee, maybe, but still worth it.