abra

Tuesday: BvS 12.2m (DHD) 19% drop from Monday

6 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

BvS is already a hit. Why failing to reach 350m or 1 billion considered a disappointment? Marvel's highest grossing film before TA was IM2. BvS crushes that number both domestically and internationally. Now if JLA misses 1 billion that's a different story, but we are not there yet. BvS might still finish ahead of Deadpool and CW isn't locked for 400m either.

But Iron Man didn't have the massive budget, nor did it burn the novelty of seeing the main hero's together. The novelty for JL won't be anywhere near as effective as it was for TA now.

Anyways I doubt CW makes more than 350m. Unless rumours are true and its great of course. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see SS and Deadpool top the years superhero list. SS hae a lot of hype and if the quality is there, it will be huge. If that happens maybe WB will question Snyder for their upcoming films. 

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

We look head to head DC is edging Marvel with ease. Obviously TA's total remains on top, but even with TA leading the way DC's first phase out grosses Marvel as it seems. IM did slightly more than MoS but BvS is doing more than Thor and CW combined.

Did you say more than Thor and CW combined?

What's your prediction for CW? :sadben:

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

We look head to head DC is edging Marvel with ease. Obviously TA's total remains on top, but even with TA leading the way DC's first phase out grosses Marvel as it seems. IM did slightly more than MoS but BvS is doing more than Thor and CW combined.

:sadben:

4 minutes ago, yjs said:

just got curious, when will the franchise fatigue kick in for all the comic book movies? never? When the first Avengers movie came out it felt like such a big event but now we have Civil War, Infinity War, GoG, Justice League, and all the other Marvel/DC characters' solo movies and it feels less and less special.

Well it took 5 decades for people to get tired of constant Westerns, so...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, yjs said:

just got curious, when will the franchise fatigue kick in for all the comic book movies? never? When the first Avengers movie came out it felt like such a big event but now we have Civil War, Infinity War, GoG, Justice League, and all the other Marvel/DC characters' solo movies and it feels less and less special.

I think the superhero genre has just started, and I'm stoked as fuck for it. Civil War has what it takes to become the event film of the year, and I'm personally going head over heels for it. And this is in the year that a superhero film became the biggest rated r film worldwide with a shot of becoming the highest grossing rated r film domestic as well, and I haven't even mentioned that we just had BvS, Suicide Squad is coming and it looks fantastic and there's Doctor Strange in the end of the year.

The genre will have some duds, like any other genre, but I think it's fair to say the genre and interest on it is growing, not shrinking. 

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

The genre will have some duds, like any other genre, but I think it's fair to say the genre and interest on it is growing, not shrinking. 

yeah I guess so. A franchise needs a set up with its characters and its world and now most of the superhero series passed that phase and now they are expanding their horizons and ready to hit the peak maybe. 

11 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

If we look head to head DC is edging Marvel with ease. Obviously TA's total remains on top, but even with TA leading the way DC's first phase out grosses Marvel as it seems. IM did slightly more than MoS but BvS is doing more than Thor and CW combined.

Yes, the movie starring two of the most well known superheroes is going to make more than Thor and Captain America.

Let's wait and see how Aquaman fares before we call the game, shall we?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The bar for success isn't Avatar and TFA.

It's other Warner Bros movies.

BvS will be one of WB's biggest films in history, it's a success for them.

It's a sequel to MOS and a Batman reboot, 900 m to 1 billion is a win for WB.

The ? now moves to the future as always, what will the reception be in the weeks/months ahead as we are setup for spinoffs & JL? If this collapses after that opening, it's obviously still a win for the studio but would leave a bad taste in their mouths going forward. They spent a ton to make & market this too, ROI % will be nice WW but nothing too crazy.

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The bar for success isn't Avatar and TFA.

It's other Warner Bros movies.

BvS will be one of WB's biggest films in history, it's a success for them.

It's a sequel to MOS and a Batman reboot, 900 m to 1 billion is a win for WB.

I think Age of Ultron is a reasonable bar for success. It looks like BvS is going to fall short of that.

4 minutes ago, yjs said:

yeah I guess so. A franchise needs a set up with its characters and its world and now most of the superhero series passed that phase and now they are expanding their horizons and ready to hit the peak maybe. 

As long as Marvel keep the insane level of consistency they are bringing to the theaters, they will be a force to be reckoned. And I feel WB will find THEIR right foot even if what it takes is JL going under BvS because of Snyder. I genuinely think WB will get the success they aspire to with the DCCU, and I even think Fox has a great opportunity on their hands after Deadpool. The genre is here to stay, and I think most of us will be already dead when starts to fumbling. 

23 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

If we look head to head DC is edging Marvel with ease. Obviously TA's total remains on top, but even with TA leading the way DC's first phase out grosses Marvel as it seems. IM did slightly more than MoS but BvS is doing more than Thor and CW combined.

How the fuck do you come up with this logic? This is literally the dumbest thing I've read on this board all year. You seriously need to think before posting crap like this again. 

7 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

How the fuck do you come up with this logic? This is literally the dumbest thing I've read on this board all year. You seriously need to think before posting crap like this again. 

It's true if you look at the numbers:

#1 Man Of Steel $668M

#2 Batman v Superman $900M+

MCU

#1 Iron Man $585M

#2 The Incredible Hulk $263M

The DC Universe is off to a much better start Iv1CHys.gif

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

As long as Marvel keep the insane level of consistency they are bringing to the theaters, they will be a force to be reckoned. And I feel WB will find THEIR right foot even if what it takes is JL going under BvS because of Snyder. I genuinely think WB will get the success they aspire to with the DCCU, and I even think Fox has a great opportunity on their hands after Deadpool. The genre is here to stay, and I think most of us will be already dead when starts to fumbling. 

So, you think that the superhero craze will last for another 50 years? That's a quite bold prediction for an industry as volatile as the movies.

31 minutes ago, Jessie said:

But Iron Man didn't have the massive budget, nor did it burn the novelty of seeing the main hero's together. The novelty for JL won't be anywhere near as effective as it was for TA now.

Iron Man 2 (the movie Alfred was actually talking about) cost $200m to make and grossed $624m. That's a huge ass budget for a movie that wasn't exactly pushing a billion dollar gross. BvS will make $900m on the low end and cost $250m. In other words it had the better ratio of box office to budget: 3.6 at least for BvS compared to 3.12 for IM2.

• Like 1

Superhero fatigue is the biggest fallacy in Hollywood. Wish people would shaddup about it. And no, DCCU will NEVER catch up to the MCU. A better apt comparison of BvS is AOU, and AOU will outgross  it by roughly 40%. This isn't even a discussion.

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Iron Man 2 (the movie Alfred was actually talking about) cost $200m to make and grossed $624m. That's a huge ass budget for a movie that wasn't exactly pushing a billion dollar gross. BvS will make $900m on the low end and cost $250m. In other words it had the better ratio of box office to budget: 3.6 at least for BvS compared to 3.12 for IM2.

Hm? He said IM did slightly more than MoS. Which can only make sense if we consider DOM, not WW. Because MoS beat both IM1 and 2 WW with 668 to both their 585 and 623. And considering that IM1 and 2 were incredibly close to one another as far as DOM, I'm not sure how you got IM2.

Edited by RandomJC