abra

Wednesday: BvS $8.1M

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

I wonder what the marketing costs with BvS are? I don't recall ever seeing more commercials and propaganda for any film ever. It started months and months ago. The marketing costs must be astronomical.

A lot of that is probably shared with or covered by WB's promotional partners.

• Like 2

Ouch. So 34% drop and $8.1m it is. 

6 minutes ago, Fake said:

Wow.... every day is getting worse and worse.....

Even 350M may be in trouble.

I said yesterday and some called me crazy. Not so crazy right now. Let's wait for the weekend numbers. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SWXII said:

Nope. The Joker is great but Gordon gives the movie gravitas and soul.

IMO, it was the DA, Harvey Dent, and his interactions with Bale that gave the movie soul. That was the real struggle there, for the kind of city Gotham was and could be, if public servants stepped up to the plate.

12 minutes ago, SWXII said:

Because BvS has a similar weightiness. It is what separates it from the typical CBM fare.

That is why it is great. 

I wish I could see the weightiness you do. I was really rooting for this film, but it just fell flat for me. The emergence of that giant nuclear creature just made it a big mess, IMO, and the movie cast Superman as a caricature. It really is a Batman movie with Superman as a kind of Maguffin for the most part. And Wonder Woman's entrance was gratuitous, just a lot of "wow! look how Hot this WW is! Get ready to come out en masse for her solo flick next year!" vibe.

IMO, BvS was marketing, soulless. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, James said:

They are so insanely interesting to me. These are the first SW books I read, all based on the idea of a Jedi turning dark. It resembled Anakin's journey, which is far and away the best thing in all the movies for me. And it is just beautifully done. Yesterday I began and finished the 6th book. Today I think I'll finish or come close to finishing the 7th one:lol:

My favorite is the 8th.  Karen Traviss was such a good thing for SW EU.  The falling out she had with Lucasfilms/LucasArts was a very public mess.

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

I wish I could see the weightiness you do. I was really rooting for this film, but it just fell flat for me. The emergence of that giant nuclear creature just made it a big mess, IMO, and the movie cast Superman as a caricature. It really is a Batman movie with Superman as a kind of Maguffin for the most part. And Wonder Woman's entrance was gratuitous, just a lot of "wow! look how Hot this WW is! Get ready to come out en masse for her solo flick next year!" vibe.

IMO, BvS was marketing, soulless. 

I am not a big fan of the last third of the movie even though it has some of the most amazing elements. 

Personally I'D love to see a pared down PG version and the directors plussed version . Seems like they compromised between the two and failed in that respect.

I think they tried to create the Star Wars or Traffic type structure of cutting between 3 intertwined stories and just did not succeed in that aspect. 

Hoping the final version fixes all that.

OK, rant over.

• Like 1

With a 7.2m Thu probably, the movie will be at 208.5m.

I think a 57.5m 2nd weekend will happen and take it to 266m.

F7 had a 59.58m weekend and added a further 101.5m to it's cume.

So giving BVS 95-100m more, it's final total would be 360-365m.

Looking at the Wed drop this looks optimistic actually, but Wed is just one day. Am hoping for a sub-10% drop on Thu and if it's closer to 7.5m, 360-365m won't be optimistic but more realistic with the optimistic possibility of 365-370m. If the Thu  drop is a harsh one, then would retread further to 355-360m.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Little competition. The last two years, it wouldn't even be close to the top 10 when it made less than $200k on a Wednesday.

Must be it. I'll take a look. You made a great point.

9 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Why is Star Wars in the top 10? Still making money.

Its continuous ability to make money is certainly helping. Theaters don't want to drop it because it keeps on bringing them money. Last week it only lost 16 theaters and this week it's not losing any. And this is in spite of the fact that its coming out on Blu Ray on Tuesday. I'm interested to see how many theaters it keeps next week. 

Edited by Intergalactic Ping Pong