Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

Just now, Menor said:

I find it weird that some reviews are taking the timing of release as mark against the film. Yeah ideally it would have come out earlier but I don't think that should affect its overall quality.

I don't think the quality is affected, but it's harder to care about the character or buy the story knowing the inevitable end for her on Endgame. It's always tricky to work with characters that people already know the end.

I bet people are so in love with Florence character on the reviews exactly because of that, her future is open.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

And see, for Disney, that would probably be the worst reaction to get - if you're not gonna get good-to-great reviews, "so bad you have to see it" is better than "it's okay, but you can pass", especially for a prequel movie...

Only reviews but Marvel is review-proof. Audience will understand it's actually the first movie in Yelena series. 

91% with 47 Review is not mixed, Twitter.

Did Twitter lie to me?

dorothy gale what GIF

:hahaha:

Anyway, Good.  F9 was a good first start to rebooting the box office.  We need Widow to keep the momentum going.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don't think the quality is affected, but it's harder to care about the character or buy the story knowing the inevitable end for her on Endgame. It's always tricky to work with characters that people already know the end.

I bet people are so in love with Florence character on the reviews exactly because of that, her future is open.

Yeah but does anyone watch MCU solo films and really think that the character's fate is in doubt? The heroes will never be killed outside of ensemble films anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cap said:

91% with 47 Review is not mixed, Twitter.

Did Twitter lie to me?

dorothy gale what GIF

:hahaha:

Anyway, Good.  F9 was a good first start to rebooting the box office.  We need Widow to keep the momentum going.  

By Marvel's standards, mixed still means like 80%+

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

89% from 53 reviews

The "10 years too late, inconsequential" seem to be the main gripe but general agreement is that it does justice to Nat, dynamic between main characters is great, action is great, Johansson/Pugh/Harbour are great, lots of humor that works, lots of heart. basically your generic positive reviews. 

• Like 2

Just now, grey ghost said:

People say critics are too nice to Marvel but they specialize in crowd pleasers so it's no surprise critics enjoy them.

Marvel uses a formula but it's a winning formula.

Apparently this one breaks away from the formula :) 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Following WW84, Black Widow still has another 369 reviews to be added. 

Um following every movie ever,almost all movie drop and rise as the reviews keep adding its nothing new ,in any case i doubt that this movie goes rotten

I wasn't making a slight against Marvel, just that a more mixed reaction on Twitter is more in comparison to it own siblings in the MCU. But since pretty much all but two Marvel films have solid to strong reviews, it's still going to review well.

Just now, john2000 said:

Um following every movie ever,almost all movie drop and rise as the reviews keep adding its nothing new ,in any case i doubt that this movie goes rotten

I know, which is why there’s a long way to go before it settles. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Menor said:

Yeah but does anyone watch MCU solo films and really think that the character's fate is in doubt? The heroes will never be killed outside of ensemble films anyway.

True, but this character literally can't be injured or scarred in any way, either.  She needs to show up with 2 arms, 2 legs, 2 eyes, and a perfect complexion in time for Endgame...

That does reduce the stakes for a character, especially one with no super healing or invulnerability...threats to her PC are just less likely to be taken with any seriousness by the audience...