grim22

Birth of a Nation | Fox Searchlight | Sundance Grand Jury Prize. ONLY DISCUSS THE MOVIE AND BOX OFFICE IN THIS THREAD.

15 minutes ago, Nova said:

Anytime he speaks the only things I hear coming out of his mouth are "What do I have to say in order to get us talking about the film and my Oscar chances again." 

Oh, I hear something far more...sexist, coming out of his mouth.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Oh, I hear something far more...sexist, coming out of his mouth.

Yeah, I don't see where it can be positive PR to declare repeatedly that in all these years, he never thought about how it impacted the victim.  An 'I have changed' story line where the change comes only after the PR blew up in his face isn't very credible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trifle said:

Yeah, I don't see where it can be positive PR to declare repeatedly that in all these years, he never thought about how it impacted the victim.  An 'I have changed' story line where the change comes only after the PR blew up in his face isn't very credible.

And everything is still about him, and none of it sounds remorseful. Anytime he brings up the woman, it's to frame it in his life.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Anyone else seeing this become part of an upcoming Scandal storyline in some way??? Just reminds me of some of the dumb shit that Olivia Pope and her people try to reverse.

Parker needs Olivia Pope, or better yet, the actual woman she's based on (Judy Smith) to come to his rescue at this point.

"It's handled."

• Like 1

If you do anything today, read this article written by Gabrielle Union in the LA Times:  http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-union-nate-parker-birth-nation-rape-allegation-20160902-snap-story.html

It's so heart wrenching and also shows where she stands in regards to the film. Just reading this makes me hate the fucker even more. Like Parker knew she was a victim of rape and just went along with it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

This will hurt the film very badly. Box office is now going to be stunted. Oscars are basically out the window now. Sucks. Could be a great movie, but this will ruin its chances to leave a mark.

The good thing is it isn't a great movie, only a good one.  It will be that much easier for everyone to ignore it.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lestranger said:

This will hurt the film very badly. Box office is now going to be stunted. Oscars are basically out the window now. Sucks. Could be a great movie, but this will ruin its chances to leave a mark.

Nah, it's exactly as it should be. Small price to pay for ruining a person's life, honestly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grim22 said:

Honestly, that is a surprising (to me) approach, and likely the most effective one for the film.   It is ironic, but she is pointing at the film to start a discussion on rape and affirmative consent.   I'd listen to her discuss affirmative consent.  (and honestly, it isn't a matter, to me, of 'hear the word "yes"  but unconscious and not objecting is not consent.)

But no way am I paying to see this movie.