grim22

Birth of a Nation | Fox Searchlight | Sundance Grand Jury Prize. ONLY DISCUSS THE MOVIE AND BOX OFFICE IN THIS THREAD.

53 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

My guess is over 1000, maybe even 1500 but it won't have a 2 week guarantee in many of them

The deal was over 1000 theaters, more specifically they've mentioned 1500, although that may not be the case anymore. It's likely going to have atleast  two weeks, that seems to be the norm. We still don't know how this controversy is going to affect the BO performance. African American audiences are a powerful demo in the domestic BO. They usually support mainstream films catered to them (a large turn out on the opening weekend) and this film has lots of publicity (good and bad). 

I feel like this film will have a respectable opening weekend, 12-13m and fairly average legs to get to a 34-35m total. Apparently, it's more audience friendly than 12 Years A Slave and takes inspiration from Braveheart, which was a pretty big hit with audiences back in the day. So who knows how far WOM can take it. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Neilio said:

Why do so many people care about the alleged rape? Isn't the movie and box office run more important (on this forum)? 

Edit: I'm looking forward to the movie.

Because the controversy is enough to make FS reconsider their plans in marketing the movie. Obviously they can't send Parker on the talk show circuit when he's facing serious allegations (which blew up when 1) Parker tried to actually paint himself as the victim and 2) it was discovered that the real victim took her life).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Because the controversy is enough to make FS reconsider their plans in marketing the movie. Obviously they can't send Parker on the talk show circuit when he's facing serious allegations (which blew up when 1) Parker tried to actually paint himself as the victim and 2) it was discovered that the real victim took her life).

That makes more sense. There's been pages of discussion here and I didn't read all the way back. I understand why it could be cause for concern box office wise...

Thanks for explaining.

1 hour ago, Gumby said:

That's actually a really interesting pic because it shows how uncomfortable some are and how defiant/arrogant Nate still is.

I didn't say that because I thought maybe I was projecting how I would have felt, but I picked that up from the picture, too.