CJohn

Weekend Thread | The Jungle Book - Early Weekend Estimates 101m - 103m (DHD - Page 59) (Fri 32m, Sat 41.5m-42m) | RTH Saturday Early Est = 40-44M (Page 46) | Barbershop TNC - Est 20.4m (DHD) | Boss -59% | Hardcore Henry epic -71%

48 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Jungle Book multiplier off a high $103M OW

If it behaves like Alice 1: 2.87 -> $296M DOM

If behaves like Maleficent : 3.47 -> $358M DOM

Average : $327M DOM final, about right?

For those who thinks this has longer legs than

Maleficent should be aware that Disney is going to

need those IMAX/LPF screens for Captain's War

It will have longer legs than Alice, Oz, and Maleficent for sure. Reviews for those movies are on a different league and can't be compared to that of The Jungle Book.

If you think it will have worse legs than those you should also be aware that there are so many ways to arrange screens shares to optimize audience demands. 

To those worried about TJB's legs, here's an example of why there's no need for that: Cinderella's legs were pretty good, and that movie had the lowest of the debuts of these Disney remakes, arguably the fiercest competition from all angles, and decent at best WOM. The Jungle Book's debut isn't far from doubling of Cinderella's at this point, it has almost no competition whatsoever, and it has amazing WOM. People are being driven nuts by this, just going off social media alone. JB's legs will be great, nobody has to worry there.

18 minutes ago, Jack said:

Double post

Ps did the forum crash or something?

It keeps crashing every few minutes, I think the server's trying to tell us something about the contents of this thread

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I expect TJB to finish at 330-340. Civil War isn't what it needs to worry about, the late May openers are what it needs to worry about.

3.2ish multiplier is great (although I think it'll go higher). It's got nothing to worry about. Its legs will be fine.

30 minutes ago, Chewy said:

It keeps crashing every few minutes, I think the server's trying to tell us something about the contents of this thread

Some people have problems with our hobby? Maybe? A box-office forum terrorist?

12 minutes ago, Chewy said:

3.2ish multiplier is great (although I think it'll go higher). It's got nothing to worry about. Its legs will be fine.

Disney should have a limited amount of screens available to them right? I mean they can't just encroach & take Universal or Fox or Warner's share?

6 hours ago, Chaz said:

Zootopia has 7 weekends left before it's Blu-ray release. I wonder if it will cross $340 million before then?

It's probably going to be a bit longer than that. 2015's Cinderella didn't come out for home media until September, a 6 month wait.

41 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The release date is confirmed to be June 7

Oh, well fuck me then.

I guess it makes sense, given that Finding Dory also comes out in June.

But this makes me happy, because now all of the parodies for Zootopia like Honest Trailers and Cinema Sins can come out sooner.

Edited by cannastop

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

ASM2 was a failure, it forced Sony to reboot that series only after two movies with Andrew Garfield.

Indeed.

I rememberred clearly on this site and on others where most people had it as the biggest CBM of the year pre realease, even reaching $1Billion while CA:Winter Soldier was supposed to do lesser than TTDW and GOTG was supposed to be Marvel first flop.  

DOFP was at time put ahead of TASM2 (i think there was even a club for it) but the two MCU movies were the ones underestimated pre release while the two others end up overestimated.

When TASM2 was released, if memory serves me well, plenty called it a flop, not even a disappointment but a flop and there was a what went wrong thread.

This failure got massive echoes throughout the whole internet even more because the three other Marvel movies that year deliver while it ended up the lowest gross both on a worldwide base but mainly on the domestic front where many suggest that the third installment would end up below $200M.

So i don't understand the claim that none gave a pip about TAMS2 gross when the viability of the franchise and the Sinister Six movie was already questioned by many before the movie was even out of theaters. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

maybe they should give the dude who killed bambi's mom his own maleficent-esque back story.

The hunter is a poor starving peasant who has no choice but to hunt in the king's woods to find food for his family. He's imprisoned for 19 years and breaks parole only to be hunted by a singing Russell Crowe.

• Like 1

I'm going to see Jungle Book this afternoon. Not really that interested but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

Going to catch Zootopia tonight too, I don't usually goto see cartoons but my boyfriend finds them hilarious. And although I found Inside Out and Minions terribly boring, the Zootopia trailer made me laugh. 

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I'm going to see Jungle Book this afternoon. Not really that interested but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

Going to catch Zootopia tonight too, I don't usually goto see cartoons but my boyfriend finds them hilarious. And although I found Inside Out and Minions terribly boring, the Zootopia trailer made me laugh. 

Oh damn.

I don't know if I should tell you, Zootopia is only at most 50% a comedy. But please see it! I'd hate for it to leave theaters before someone saw it, and Scotland doesn't have an overabundance of screens like North America does.

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I understand why BvS is controversial and why people want to discuss the implications for DCEU.

But why can't we keep that discussion in the threads dedicated to BvS talk?

Well in fairness, this thread is about this weekend's box office, and BvS is a part of that, so it seems reasonable to discuss it here too. 

• Like 1