WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates (Page 30): The Jungle Book - 60.8M (96M OS) | The Huntsman: Winter's War - 20.1M | Barbershop 3 - 10.8M | Zootopia - 6.6M | BvS - 5.5M

Seeing two different numbers for Eye in the Sky, $1,214,963 from BOM and $1,118,990 from BoxOffice.com, which is right? The higher number for Eye pushes A Hologram for the King out of the weekend Top 10. Very weird to see a Tom Hanks movie get dumped like this, but even so, the average isn't that bad for a movie that wasn't advertised much? I can only think the studio wants to steer clear of it given the setting. Filming wrapped nearly two years ago according to Wiki (June 2014) and maybe in 2013-14 the studio figured it could make a respectable total with some delicate handling... Then IS and the refugee crisis happened, presidential candidates supporting religious bans, etc, and maybe A Hologram for the King itself has nothing to do with any of that, but the studio sees the movie showing the Middle East, men in the keffiyeh, Hanks joking to them that he's in the CIA and the studio was like, "Nope, dump it!"

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

12 hours ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Bridge of Spies was a Cold War drama set 50+ years ago, so a not-small portion of the moviegoing audience was always going to pass, given the subject matter. Sully is a much more recent story, but most everyone knows how it played out (even more than Captain Phillips), so that could cut both ways. Sully is such a Tom Hanks role and it's exactly the sort of movie you would expect Clint Eastwood to direct... time will tell if that makes it anticipated for audiences, or so predictable that they'll pass.

You point out the biggest reason I don't think Sully will do all that well.  When you step back, while it was a big news story at the time, I don't see how they make much of a movie out of it.  That is also what intrigues me, what in the heck could they have come up with in the script to make it compelling.  

The incident alone is pretty uneventful and captured completely on audio and video.  They take off, hit some birds, Sully calmly says he is putting it down in the Hudson, they make a perfect landing, multiple boats are there within a couple minutes and everyone walks off the plane.  Only 2 or 3 people even got wet.  

The finale of Huntsman was pretty great. But overall, there wasn't exactly a war in the movie. Only 2 fight scenes really, one of which wasn't good at all.

Could have been called "Huntsman: Winter's Skirmish"

• Like 2

Thoughts on weekend numbers:

Goooo The Jungle Book. The fact it's looking on track to beat Alice in Wonderland is nutty and incredible.

The Huntsman's bombing could be seen coming from outer space. A truly unnecessary and greed-driven sequel that no one wanted.

Solid drops across the board, especially Zootopia. BvS' drop is a case of "too little, too late" though.

A Hologram for the King could've done worse given how muted its promotional push was. Elvis & Nixon is DOA unsurprisingly given its zero marketing push though.

25 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

You point out the biggest reason I don't think Sully will do all that well.  When you step back, while it was a big news story at the time, I don't see how they make much of a movie out of it.  That is also what intrigues me, what in the heck could they have come up with in the script to make it compelling.  

The incident alone is pretty uneventful and captured completely on audio and video.  They take off, hit some birds, Sully calmly says he is putting it down in the Hudson, they make a perfect landing, multiple boats are there within a couple minutes and everyone walks off the plane.  Only 2 or 3 people even got wet.  

I really don't know. Maybe they will deal with the aftermath or flashbacks to Sully's (heretofore unknown) dramatic youth? The flight itself was short, but add on the first responders, the rescue, worried family members, the calls home, tearful reunions, the PTSD when Sully has to get on a plane again (IDK if this really happened but it would be such a Hollywood addition)... It's a story of peril but happily for a spoiler happy/trigger warning generation, you know everyone will be okay, except the birds... Yeah, they could do so many ominous shots of the birds that you'll think it's a Hitchcock remake.  All that could fill 90-100 minutes, though I suspect the runtime will be a bit longer.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

2 hours ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Man, who'd a thought this would've dropped as hard as it has??? At this point, we should be seeing a release date for the Blu-Ray/DVD..

....that's been announced since before the movie opened. July 10.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just. Stop. ITS A MOVIE OKAY? JUST A MOVIE! If you're gonna skip CW fine, I know lots of people who aren't seeing it. But to skip it because of a matter of principle? What principle is this? Because people didn't like BvS because it was a mediocre movie means you're gonna throw a fanboy fit?

I respect most people on this site, and I really want to respect you guys too as film fans. So until then, take garbage like this into the Marvel vs DC thread.

I mean really, the pressedness amounts to this:

86b1b097a3146e6743616697f7ed06c5.jpg