WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates (Page 30): The Jungle Book - 60.8M (96M OS) | The Huntsman: Winter's War - 20.1M | Barbershop 3 - 10.8M | Zootopia - 6.6M | BvS - 5.5M

2 hours ago, SoSaysI said:

Yeah, I'm failing to see how a roughly 40% drop after a 100+ million weekend can be seen as anything other than fantastic.  And in fact, while I probably missed something because I only took a quick look,  I think the only $100+ mil openers with a sub 40% second weekend drop were Spiderman, Shrek 2 and The Force Awakens and both Shrek 2 and The Force Awakens benefited from holidays in their second weekend. 

Not to mention that those are the #2, #8, and #9 most popular DOM movies of the past 20 years. Nobody needs any reminding about TFA, but both Shrek 2 and Spiderman are at approximately $600 million in adjusted DOM box office. That's stellar company to be keeping, even if TJB does fall off a bit more than them.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Panda Knight said:

I dont buy the "this actor is box office poison" thing, unless it's a pretty hated actor.  Nobody is going to not go see a movie because x actor is in the movie, they'll go see it because it looks bad.  Usually in the "box office poison" cases it's the actor not being able to secure good roles, or them having a sucky manager who's bad at picking movies for them.

DanRad definitely falls under that group because lord has his post-Potter care been something of a mess. 

Just now, filmlover said:

DanRad definitely falls under that group because lord has his post-Potter care been something of a mess. 

That is until he wins supporting actor at the Oscars for playing a farting corpse of course :P

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Clearly The Woman in Black suffered because of his box office poison, amirite? 

Just now, CJohn said:

Clearly The Woman in Black suffered because of his box office poison, amirite? 

That wasn't really completely sold on him though (he wasn't featured on the posters for it). I was talking things like the miserable flop that was Victor Frankenstein (a $5M gross for a wide release is beyond embarrassing no matter how you look at it).

41 minutes ago, The Panda Knight said:

I dont buy the "this actor is box office poison" thing, unless it's a pretty hated actor.  Nobody is going to not go see a movie because x actor is in the movie, they'll go see it because it looks bad.  Usually in the "box office poison" cases it's the actor not being able to secure good roles, or them having a sucky manager who's bad at picking movies for them.

There was a time Scarlett Johansson was considered box office poison.

So in other words, Radcliffe needs to join a Marvel movie.

• Like 3

I don't think Radcliffe or Scarlett or Clooney or anyone for that matter can just appear in a movie and people will automatically go.  Victor Frankenstein looked horrible.  You put anyone in that movie and it would fail.  Clooney might not be a draw either but then again, you can take pretty much any actor and put them in a film with no marketing and something that looks uninteresting and it's not going to do well.

• Like 6

Got out of HMWW, I didn't care much for it. Acting was very wooden. There's potential for a good movie in there, but it is just bogged by horrible directing and terrible acting. Emily Blunt NEVER AGAIN. What a terrible performance. And LMAO at Chris Hemsworth, he keeps having bomb after bomb. He just needs to stick with Thor. I give it a C-.

Speaking of low grosses, it looks like Everybody Wants Some will peter out with less than $5M in total, which is too bad. I though Boyhood afterglow would result in stronger interest for his next effort but I guess it couldn't overcome its niche trappings (older audiences put off by the college comedy genre and younger audiences  turned off by the 80s time period and "of the time" references).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That wasn't really completely sold on him though (he wasn't featured on the posters for it). I was talking things like the miserable flop that was Victor Frankenstein (a $5M gross for a wide release is beyond embarrassing no matter how you look at it).

That wasn't completely sold on him?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! It was 100% sold on him. That movie made what it did because he was in it. 

Also,

http://www.impawards.com/intl/uk/2012/woman_in_black.html

No poster with him here at all. Not even one. 

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Speaking of low grosses, it looks like Everybody Wants Some will peter out with less than $5M in total, which is too bad. I though Boyhood afterglow would result in stronger interest for his next effort but I guess it couldn't overcome its niche trappings (older audiences put off by the college comedy genre and younger audiences  turned off by the 80s time period and "of the time" references).

The movie never really went wide.  I wasn't able to see it, despite how much I want to.

• Like 2

Just now, The Panda Knight said:

The movie never really went wide.  I wasn't able to see it, despite how much I want to.

It just opened here but I'm guessing it'll disappear before I ever get the chance to see it. Oh well, I can wait for VOD.

• Like 1

I'm in the process of watching three movies today.  Off topic, I know, but so far I watched The Power of Few with Christian Slater, Christopher Walken and Nicky Phelan.  Pretty good but a little weird.  Then I put in Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.  Started out kind of slow but there's some pretty funny stuff in it.  Now I'm watching the film I've been excited for all day..... I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE 3.  Sarah Butler returns in this one.  I loved the original remake in 2010, thought the sequel was decent, and hope this one is good too.  Then I'll catch the rest of the Blues/Blackhawks hockey game and then maybe another movie.  Going for 4 today. :)

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, Baumer said:

I'm in the process of watching three movies today.  Off topic, I know, but so far I watched The Power of Few with Christian Slater, Christopher Walken and Nicky Phelan.  Pretty good but a little weird.  Then I put in Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.  Started out kind of slow but there's some pretty funny stuff in it.  Now I'm watching the film I've been excited for all day..... I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE 3.  Sarah Butler returns in this one.  I loved the original remake in 2010, thought the sequel was decent, and hope this one is good too.  Then I'll catch the rest of the Blues/Blackhawks hockey game and then maybe another movie.  Going for 4 today. :)

:mellow:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

FWIW, I saw this film yesterday and was underwhelmed. And as someone who was 16 in 1980, and who is a big fan of Dazed and Confused, I very much wanted to like it. The of-the-time aspects were spot-on and did generate some warm nostalgia, but that petered out at around the 45 minute mark and from that point on, the movie just drifted off into cliches and nothingness. Linklater just ran out of ideas so the movie runs out of gas.

• Like 1