WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates (Page 30): The Jungle Book - 60.8M (96M OS) | The Huntsman: Winter's War - 20.1M | Barbershop 3 - 10.8M | Zootopia - 6.6M | BvS - 5.5M

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Has anyone seen Sing Street? Debating whether to see it tomorrow. Is it accessible to people who don't really watch indies? 

I would enjoy seeing it (loved Once and liked Begin Again) but the grosses are low enough to guarantee that I won't see it until it hits VOD.

Watched the last 30 minutes of Huntsmanfuting my break today. Quite a bit better than i gave it credit for last night.

Also, it did 6.1M yesterday at my theatre including previews, and a Saturday that will range from anywhere between 8-9M. Not a bad bump if you ask me.

Also, Jungle Book, after opening to 130.5M at my theatre last weekend, it looking at anywhere between 75-85M second weekend here depending on how Sunday does.

And, @cannastop in particular, I didn't count Zootopia's final gross, because we had it for so long it would have taken me longer than I had time for. But I did tally up BvS. So that movie opened to only 81.1M but never quite made it to 200M.

Final gross was 199.2M :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I would enjoy seeing it (loved Once and liked Begin Again) but the grosses are low enough to guarantee that I won't see it until it hits VOD.

It has a 96 on RT from both critics and audiences. A shame it's bombing. 

There are simply way too many on the limited front fighting for attention in such a tight space. Eye in the Sky, Hello My Name is Doris, Midnight Special, Everybody Wants Some, Green Room, Sing Street, A Hologram for the King, The Meddler...no wonder nothing's really breaking out on that front.

5 hours ago, nilephelan said:

I don't see Sully getting anywhere close and might be lucky to make $50m domestic given Bridge of Spies with a better release date and Spielberg couldn't get to $75m domestic.  Deepwater Horizon would be very lucky to get there as Captain Phillips barely made it over $100m with a better studio, director and story.  

Bridge of Spies was a Cold War drama set 50+ years ago, so a not-small portion of the moviegoing audience was always going to pass, given the subject matter. Sully is a much more recent story, but most everyone knows how it played out (even more than Captain Phillips), so that could cut both ways. Sully is such a Tom Hanks role and it's exactly the sort of movie you would expect Clint Eastwood to direct... time will tell if that makes it anticipated for audiences, or so predictable that they'll pass.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There are simply way too many on the limited front fighting for attention in such a tight space. Eye in the Sky, Hello My Name is Doris, Midnight Special, Everybody Wants Some, Green Room, Sing Street, A Hologram for the King, The Meddler...no wonder nothing's really breaking out on that front.

Eye kinda broke out, no? Not in a major way, but it feels like it overperformed. Doris did well too (11x its budget so far). But yeah, no major breakouts. 

9 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Eye kinda broke out, no? Not in a major way, but it feels like it overperformed. Doris did well too (11x its budget so far). But yeah, no major breakouts. 

They did well but I kinda feel like they would've done even better had they not had to face so much competition on the specialty front.

6 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Has anyone seen Sing Street? Debating whether to see it tomorrow. Is it accessible to people who don't really watch indies? 

Not sure if this is serious? Lol.

Indies are films made outwith the big studios. That's it.

The films aren't inaccessible. Indie is not a genre, lol. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

i watched blue ruin for the first time on netflix last night and now i'm realllly into the idea of seeing green room. idk when that's gonna get to happen tho.

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i watched blue ruin for the first time on netflix last night and now i'm realllly into the idea of seeing green room. idk when that's gonna get to happen tho.

I wonder if Saulnier will continue the pattern of "color object" for his titles. I'm looking forward to "Lavender Toilet", myself.

Edited by johnboy3434
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

I wonder if Saulnier will continue the pattern of "color object" for his titles. I'm looking forward to "Lavender Toilet", myself.

time to cash in on that purple rain remake.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DAJK said:

Also, Jungle Book, after opening to 130.5M at my theatre last weekend, it looking at anywhere between 75-85M second weekend here depending on how Sunday does.

And, @cannastop in particular, I didn't count Zootopia's final gross, because we had it for so long it would have taken me longer than I had time for. But I did tally up BvS. So that movie opened to only 81.1M but never quite made it to 200M.

Final gross was 199.2M :lol:

Much better legs though, 2.45x :P

• Like 1