CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

10 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

It has nothing to do with that at all.

Perhaps the general public are getting tired of the franchise?

We can't rule this possibility, IF it happens.

What is this like the 13th movie in this franchise I read somewhere?

The problem is that you're just stringing negative words together to make an assertion without really giving a reason why. Sure, maybe people are tired of it. They didn't seem to be tired of it yesterday, and the critics liked it, but maybe this particular day marks the beginning of the decline of the MCU.

Sure, could be. The problem is that you don't really defend any of these points. There aren't any trends backing up what you're saying, and the numbers so far don't support it at all. You appear to be picking your arguments out of the air which doesn't give them much weight. It doesn't mean that you're wrong, but it does mean that your words aren't compelling. You need to beef up the "why now?" part of your argument or pull in some numbers if you want people to take you seriously.

Edited by Wrath

Looking at Fandango in some reserved seating theaters here and there.  I must say the matinee showings look promising. Some really really full theaters.   Surprised since it's not a holiday.  

Curious to see the first report and what they have tallied for matinees.

• Like 1

We're officially in the summer season!

If Friday is under 80M, we're certainly going under 200. Probably under 190. If Friday is 80-85, than we could look at 190-200 based on how front loaded Friday would be compared to thursday. For 200 to happen I think we need Friday to be 85+

• Like 1

Just now, Wrath said:

The problem is that you're just stringing negative words together without making an argument. Sure, maybe people are tired of it. They didn't seem to be tired of it yesterday, and the critics liked it, but maybe this particular day marks the beginning of the decline of the MCU.

Sure, could be. The problem is that you don't really defend any of these points. There aren't really any trends backing up what you're saying, you appear to be picking your arguments out of the air which doesn't give them much weight.

Ummmm, what?

I don't need any trends. It is my opinion, take it or leave it.

7 minutes ago, Baumer said:

wHO'S PANICKING?  It's been pretty calm.

Panicking in a calm fashion then :D

But yeah, lots of people saying they over-predicted, aren't satisfied with the $25M previews, thought it would do more, etc.

3 minutes ago, FTF said:

Maybe 2 and 3 combined.

The chance of Avatar 2 grossing 3 Billion (or even 3.5 Billion) is significantly greater than 1.5 Billion, seriously..:huh:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Well obviously the Avengers brand is a special case so big numbers should be expected.

While 300m seems low, it wouldn't strike me as crazy as you might think, especially for Avengers 3.

Look at what happened to BvS, I don't predict much here but until the release of the movie,  I said to myself, no way this does less than 400m dom & look what happened, and Yes I know, the reviews and bad buzz kind of destroyed any legs for the movie but still, seems like a petty number for the event it was supposed to be.

Those movies will have more difficulties to be gigantic & events as years pass by IMO because of the rhythm of the release pattern.

X-Men Apoclaypse will be the Fourth big superhero movie in just 3 months.

That s nuts.

And it s going to be like that, every year.

Marvel Studios will release 3 movies a year, starting 2017.

I get we're you're coming from, but dude, the Infinity War will not be the start of it. In bad circumstances maybe it'll underperform compared to the 1st Avengers or even Ultron, but sub 400M is crazy for an Avengers film. Especially the Infinity Wars, which have been unofficially been built up since 2008, and "officially" since the 1st Thanos tease in 2012. It won't be like Ultron where the "Avengers" franchise alone will have to sell it - this, like Civil War, and like the 1st Avengers, has been built up for years and years. It'll have further more tease movies like Thor: Ragnarok on top of it. And it's gonna feature not just all the Avengers that we've already seen in the two movies (except Quicksilver... LOL), but Spider-Man will be there, the Guardians Of The Galaxy will be there (and Lord knows Pratt is a STAR right now, so if you pair him w/the Avengers, that has a ton of BO potential), a few characters like Captain Marvel will debut, some other TV factions like the Defenders and the Inhumans may show up as well... that'll be an absolute all-star blowout. It'll be worrying to see so many people crammed in there, but the Russos and McFeely/Markus duos have done wonders w/the Cap movies and they proved they can juggle a shit ton of characters, give them all relevant arcs (at least most of them), and give the movie a good balance between dark/serious and light/humorous, so WOM hopefully won't be that much of a problem either.

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

180 + is bad?

Nah, not really people will say it's horrendous, or it's a bomb. But really anything over $175 OW is solid. I mean as a part of the Captain America franchise it will be solid considering the last one made $259 million domestic 2 years ago. Also word of mouth is quite solid for it, so Civil War could have decent legs unless X-Men:Apocylpse breaks out like Deadpool did.

• Like 1