CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

Just now, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I want to know what these people are like in real life. Do they say these things to friends and family. "So today I told a go to fuck off Twitter since he is predicting a 180m OW"

Clearly they don't, it so easy to say whatever you want as a basically anonymous troll (as if Gitesh (or anyone in that same sort of position) cares enough to call him out) online with little consequence. Pathetic but true, guys like that think they are geniuses because they can type on a keyboard lol.

• Like 1

This is performing great, but the opening would have been 200M+ if they just replaced 'Captain America' by 'Iron Man' in the title (or also just put Iron Man/Avengers in the title).

Edited by zenithtim

I'll play the devil's advocate here and say that, I did some research and Gitesh Pandya also reported a $150M+ OW for TA on its first Friday after initial numbers from his sources. Sure, it was a different time back then, and box-office experts played it a little safer. But, nevertheless, BKB was right on that one.

Having said that, it's still not an apples-to-apples comparison since CW is going to be more frontloaded due to the higher Thursday previews. 

25 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

Dissappointed at the number. But it's still great and tbh after the AUS opening, it should have been expected. Still 180m+ is likely and 200m, while a long shot is still on the table thanks to Mother's Day. 

Still i I think it will be stronger than ultron through the weekend and head for about 195 now (about 20m less than I predicted. )

Why be disappointed?

All the physical evidence pointed to this. 

2 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

I'll play the devil's advocate here and say that, I did some research and Gitesh Pandya also reported a $150M+ OW for TA on its first Friday after initial numbers from his sources. Sure, it was a different time back then, and box-office experts played it a little safer. But, nevertheless, BKB was right on that one.

Having said that, it's still not an apples-to-apples comparison since CW is going to be more frontloaded due to the higher Thursday previews. 

Gitesh is nothing if not cautious. What BKB's conveniently forgetting, though, is that the early numbers kept rising throughout the day and evening. There was a clear sense that demand was massively outstripping expectations. That's not happening today, as far as I can tell (admittedly I wasn't online during the day).

First: DL (and others) with 75-80m

Second: Rth with 74-77m

Third: Gitesh with low-to-mid 70's

With the overall direction I'm thinking final Friday number comes in at $72m

25+47+58+44 = 175

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Gitesh is nothing if not cautious. What BKB's conveniently forgetting, though, is that the early numbers kept rising throughout the day and evening. There was a clear sense that demand was massively outstripping expectations. That's not happening today, as far as I can tell (admittedly I wasn't online during the day).

When we get movies which do that, there are clear signs - the previews will start by being way higher than expected, the initial estimate based on previews will already be obsolete when the 1pm update comes in, when Rth provides his 4pm update we get a sense of "Could this really be happening" and then Gitesh provides a 6pm update which strengthens Rth's update and the Deadline 10pm update ends up being even higher and the final number still ends up even higher. 

When Avengers came out, everyone was modeling it based on existing info and it kept exceeding that demand. When Ultron came out, everyone modeled it to Avengers which led to the 100M talk, but it didn't meet that demand. With Civil War, they are modeling it to Ultron for sure, the question is whether it will continue following Ultron or increase or decrease from that trendline.

• Like 2

Iron Man 3 came from Avengers 1 and Civil War comes from Avengers 2. That's the difference. Avengers was loved, Ultron was meh. I'm expecting a strong IM to catch it over the weekend.

61.5 (-18%)

51.6 (-10%)

191.8m OW

I dont see how anyone can be disappointed with an OW on par with the sequel of The Avengers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, straggler said:

Die MCU! Die! Die! Die! You steaming, stinking pile of arrogant, formulaic, lazy monkey crap!

...Sorry. 

LOL What in the?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Well at least we know BvS was clearly the more anticipated of the two.

Even if it is clearly not the most popular post release.

Lesser OW but more anticipated? Good one.

• Like 1