CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

18 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

Y'all sitting here going back and forth on opening  weekend numbers getting pissed. This movie has a legit shot at passing The Avengers for overall total gross. Word of mouth man. Everyone is gushing about the movie. Having Black Panther, Spidey, and Ant-Man give great performances will only boost their next movies as well. 

Disney/Marvel high-fiving right now. 

Nope. Not happening.

• Like 2

1:30am and I need to get to sleep. Deadline looks like they are done with updates for the day. If there are any further updates from Rth, please message any international mods (JJ-8, CJohn) or any night owls to update the title, or we will get to it when we get to it :)

Great weekend chosen by most mods to go on vacation or fall ill :P 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Lol...I think anyone that calls this a CA movie because Hulk and Thor are missing shouldn't be taken seriously.

I called it what it is, a Captain America vs. Iron Man movie with some new characters (Black Panther), the usual suspects (Black Widow/Falcon/Bucky) and extended cameos thrown in.

It isn't Avengers 3, sorry.  

Edited by nilephelan

2 minutes ago, IMojammer said:

Deadline updated their weekend page again and now it says 60-61m for Saturday

Yup, made that change to the title. They did the same yesterday with a 73.5M first, then a 74-76 range. Looks like 60-61 is the final number, a slightly lower Saturday than IM3. Will be interesting to see the Mother's Day hold for it, whether it will be a movie of choice for moms and families tomorrow morning.

so around 180m seems to be where it will land..... I new I should have let myself get carried away... my original predict before i got caught up in all the crazy stuff a few weeks back was 184m.  I let my heart get the better of my head... i so wanted it make 200m+...

wasn't to be...

Still a fantastic result 

Come on... lets see a 55m+ sunday (stuff history - history was made to be broken!) :ph34r:

25 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

So 60M for today and the same tomorrow?? 60M?That would put this around 197M for the weekend, right???

This is crazy

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yup, made that change to the title. They did the same yesterday with a 73.5M first, then a 74-76 range. Looks like 60-61 is the final number, a slightly lower Saturday than IM3. Will be interesting to see the Mother's Day hold for it, whether it will be a movie of choice for moms and families tomorrow morning.

Depends on "Mom I love you, which movie do you wanna watch?" vs "Mom I love you, can I pick the movie?"

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I have been reading Box Office Guru since it started. How old I feel.

Lucky you. Haha A computer was definitely not in my budget at the time. I really didn't start discovering that there was an online community of folks who shared my box office fascination until the mid-2000s. I thought it was just my odd little obsession. 

Guru's archives are fascinating. The first I could find from July 1997 had this gem:

After this summer, Hollywood might learn to stop making unnecessary sequels. Overall the top ten films grossed $113.8M - down 5% from last year

Sorry Gitesh, but they still haven't learned. See The Huntsman: Winter's War and Allegiant as exhibit A and B. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

I consider it a Cap and IM movie. 

The main story is clearly focused on Cap, Tony and Bucky. Every one else is playing a big to small secondary role in this. 

The majority of the story telling and action is very much similar to everything in the first two acts of TWS. The only part that even remotely feels like an Avengers movie is the airport sequence. 

To me it is an Avengers movie, and to most people too.

34 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

So 60M for today and the same tomorrow?? 60M?That would put this around 197M for the weekend, right???

No, it will drop tomorrow no doubt. 50M is what you should hope for. And even if it does 60M today and tomorrow, that still only gives 195 for the weekend, not sure where you got the other 2M from :lol:

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

No, it will drop tomorrow no doubt. 50M is what you should hope for. And even if it does 60M today and tomorrow, that still only gives 195 for the weekend, not sure where you got the other 2M from :lol:

Puerto Rico!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Rth  must really be busy. Has not graced us with his presence tonight. LOL he sent his numbers by text.

God works in mysterious ways.

• Like 4

Maybe it's just the demographics of my town, but superhero films are seeming to have a barrier that they can only hit here on opening weekend. Legs will depend from there.

Age of Ultron did 125/350

Deadpool did 121/395

BvS did 81/199

And now based on CW's Friday and Saturday numbers, it's also looking to open around 110-120M.