CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I don't understand any of the disappointment. $182m is a great opening and I think it will probably beat Ultron's domestic total too. Marvel has done a really good job of keeping their audience engaged. 

The people disappointed must be crazy. It is the only logical explanation. And yeah, I also think it will beat Ultron.

• Like 5

What I'm trying to figure out is why people really give a s*** if it's a Captain America or Avengers movie? Are we really that nerdishs to really care? This is been going on for months and in this thread and other threads 4 pages and pages and Pages. Who gives a s*** if it's an Avengers or Captain America movie. 180 million opening weekend is f****** phenomenal no matter what film it is.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

What I'm trying to figure out is why people really give a s*** if it's a Captain America or Avengers movie? Are we really that nerdishs to really care? This is been going on for months and in this thread and other threads 4 pages and pages and Pages. Who gives a s*** if it's an Avengers or Captain America movie. 180 million opening weekend is f****** phenomenal no matter what film it is.

That is not the point. The point is people saying it would have done 180M OW without Iron Man lol. This is not a normal sequel. 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Porthos said:

What I am trying to figure out is how a 180+m weekend would be disappointing for an Avengers movie.

I mean, seriously now.  180+ million DOLLAR weekend.  On what planet is that EVER disappointing?

Not one I'm familar with.

So go ahead and do the Duck Season/Rabbit Season dance over "Avengers" or "Captain America".  Imma gonna marvel at the mass amounts of filthy lucre the film did and will get.

This is an unqualified and indisuputable success no matter what branding label one wants to stick on the movie, and it should be treated as such.

I agree, if this was a directed Sequel to Age of Ultron it would still be impressive. especially considering it's middling WoM. in fact if it were a direct sequel released one year later it may have even made less!

• Like 1

Great OW for CW. 200M OW is still a difficult milestone which makes it even more impressive. I hope that means people won't continue to act like 200M OW is a guarantee for any major blockbuster.

Kind of annoying how JW had worst reviews than CW and passed 200M though. -_-

• Like 1

I think some people had this idea that  Civil War would go back to heights of the Avengers.

However the film has successfully kept the fanbase happy and excited for Marvel films for the next few years.

The key to Marvel is after and Age of Ultron they can keep people interested by making a quality film like CW.

Now I know some people dont think CW is that good or any good but clearly its more liked the Age of Ultron.

I was sort of  down on all things Marvel after Ultron and now I am back on the hype train. 

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

180 million opening weekend is f****** phenomenal no matter what film it is.

To drive this point home, right now with extimates, Civil War is at 95.04% of Age of Ultron.  That is well within the expected range for a sequel of a well-recieved movie.  Most franchises would kill to get within 95% of the last installment in their OW.  Especially if early (very very very early) signs point to good word of mouth which should help with legs.  Double especially if the OW is already in the stratosphere. 

Did it do slightly less than the last Avengers movie?  Yes.  Does that matter?  It's like the difference between winning the Super Bowl by 15 points instead of 20.  I.e.  Not in the slightest.

Beyond the Derby and Summer games, of course. :P

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Focus said:

Great OW for CW. 200M OW is still a difficult milestone which makes it even more impressive. I hope that means people won't continue to act like 200M OW is a guarantee for any major blockbuster.

Kind of annoying how JW had worst reviews than CW and passed 200M though. -_-

JW is a good action summer movie but quality wise compared to SW7, TA and TDK and such its not there. 

I see those three films as huge films that spawned entire worlds and huge culture phenomenons but in 5 yeas I just dont see JW being a big deal. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

JW is a good action summer movie but quality wise compared to SW7, TA and TDK and such its not there. 

I wasn't that impressed with TFA but I agree about TA and TDK.

18 minutes ago, CJohn said:

That is not the point. The point is people saying it would have done 180M OW without Iron Man lol.

Without Iron Man and Spider-Man, Cap3 probably would've done 100-110, with maybe an outside shot at 120.

1 minute ago, Orestes said:

Without Iron Man and Spider-Man, Cap3 probably would've done 100-110, with maybe an outside shot at 120.

Yup, I agree. 

23 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

DC fans after CW Weekend Numbers Posted:

r1dbvMe.gif

I don't have any problems with CW since I didn't even see this movie, and I loved many Marvel movies so I have zero issues
I do have a problem with all of the ppl who set up a high bar for BvS and CW, and when BvS failed to reach that bar it was right away
"omg what a flop!"
And now that their beloved movie failed to reach the bar they themselves set they take the easy way out and reffer to it as a CA movie
so they won't need to admit it failed as well.

Edited by Ohana

46 minutes ago, Ohana said:

BvS is Awsome, and it was for millions of ppl who went to see it and support it.

870M WW is nothing to be ashamed of for a 2nd official DCEU movie.

Alright, good, glad that you had fun w/it. Can you keep this "bleh, Marvel sackz, DC roolz" (and you too, "DC sackz, Marvel roolz" people) shit away from this place, please? There's a thread for that in this forum. Avengers film or Captain America film, whatever this is, it doesn't matter: 181M is mighty impressive.

1 minute ago, Orestes said:

After the way TWS was received, the better release date and an increase in PLF screens I don't think a $120m o/w would have been an outside shot.  I thought pre IM announcement that it could do around $125m/$300m/$900m and after that IM alone would add $100m domestic and about $300m more WW.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, eXtacy said:

I said 60m yesterday and people said I was being optimistic.Tomorrow is hard to predict because Mothers Day. I do not know if it will have positive or negative effect. However I am thinking it should get close to Ultron's 50m.

I just left from my 2nd viewing and the theater was packed at 1 in the afternoon. I'd say 50 is doable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Let's not forget guys, this weekend would have been a bloodbath on the forums had CW and BvS both opened on Friday :lol:

I would have sooooooo steered clear of BOT if BvS had kept the May 6 date.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Alright, good, glad that you had fun w/it. Can you keep this "bleh, Marvel sackz, DC roolz" (and you too, "DC sackz, Marvel roolz" people) shit away from this place, please? There's a thread for that in this forum. Avengers film or Captain America film, whatever this is, it doesn't matter: 181M is mighty impressive.

I never said anything like that on any post, don't invent things I never said

I'm sorry it bothers you that someone here is defending a movie he loved, I'm not trashing anything on the way

So pls don't tell me what I can or can't write here, I'm just  expressing my opinion.

Edited by Ohana

3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I just left from my 2nd viewing and the theater was packed at 1 in the afternoon. I'd say 50 is doable.

It's not gonna drop under 20%. Mother's Day will not favor the drop. 

IM3 was -30% on Sunday, a projected -25.6% for CW is already slightly optimistic imo.