CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

I gonna repost my post...

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

BVS had a Preview:Rest of Friday ratio of x:1.95x.

Giving CW a ratio of x:1.96-2.16x (CW may have better reception but BVS had partial holiday on Friday)

27.7 + 53.9 (1.95x) + 50.6 (-06.1%) + 33.8 (-33.3%) = 166 (81.6)

25.0 + 49.0 (1.96x) + 54.0 (+10.2%) + 42.0 (-22.5%) = 170 (74.0)

25.0 + 51.5 (2.06x) + 58.0 (+12.6%) + 45.5 (-21.5%) = 180 (76.5)

25.0 + 54.0 (2.16x) + 62.0 (+14.8%) + 49.0 (-21.0%) = 190 (79.0)

I think ~76.5 OD / ~180 OW is more likely than most folks think.

11 minutes ago, IMojammer said:

DL

75-80m for Friday, tracking 10-13% behind age of ultron.

That's 50-55m for normal business hours.

It's still really early though.

If it's 10% behind Ultron for matinees, we'll have to see if it can make up ground at night. If not, then it ends up around $51m in Friday business and $76m including Thursday previews. That would put it on track for a $185m weekend assuming IM3's Saturday percentage increase and the first Avengers' Sunday hold.

THUR - $25m

FRI - $51m

SAT - $60m (+17%, same as IM3)

SUN - $49m (-18%, same as TA1)

If it can do a bit better each day, then Ultron's $191m weekend is definitely in play.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

What's extremely disappointing is these type of reactions to a $180m+ open (not to mention the massive OS haul).

You have your opinion I have mine . I won't pretend to be happy if this does sub-200 million ow . 

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ah so now it's a Captain America movie.

Thought that would happen.

Same when a Scottish tennis player loses Wimbledon, he's Scottish. But if he wins, he's British. 

I call it Captain America 3 because calling it Civil War just seems tacky to me, considering the context of American history. Also, I don't really care about superhero movies.

• Like 2

Thinking about creating a Ken Burns-esque documentary about cannastop's fascinating obsession with Zootopia.

You: "My dog died yesterday."

Cannastop's response: "Too bad it died on a day Zootopia had such a great drop."

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's not estimates though, they are saying that matinees are 10-13% behind Ultron, and if that pace remains the same through the day, it will end with 75-80M. If night shows pick up it can push higher, if night shows don't do as well, it can fall lower. Current trending, if maintained, will take it to 75-80M.

I'm not sure if that's really the case though. Previews came in 2 million below Ultron, matinees are supposedly running 10-13% behind it as well, but the range they give is ~11% (75m) to ~5% (80m) behind the opening day of AoU. Either they are really bad at math or they already consider Civil War to have an advantage in the evening. The 75-80 million range wouldn't match a "this is where it ends up if it stays that way" count.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

Thinking about creating a Ken Burns-esque documentary about cannastop's fascinating obsession with Zootopia.

You: "My dog died yesterday."

Cannastop's response: "Too bad it died on a day Zootopia had such a great drop."

Hey, you should take that as consolation for your loss.

• Like 2

Someone is probably  close to getting the boot. :P

Maybe time to take a bresthe, a drink, whatever and cool down a notch. ;)  This movie is still going to make around $200 I say, and said not much earlier 

Edited by 75live

1 minute ago, George Parr said:

I'm not sure if that's really the case though. Previews came in 2 million below Ultron, matinees are supposedly running 10-13% behind it as well, but the range they give is ~11% (75m) to ~5% (80m) behind the opening day of AoU. Either they are really bad at math or they already consider Civil War to have an advantage in the evening. The 75-80 million range wouldn't match a "this is where it ends up if it stays that way" count.

It's Deadline. They have never been good at math.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

I gave you a decent answer in your club thread and you chose to ignore it.

Yes that was a great post. If CW adds AOU's post-preview OW of 163.7m to the 25m previews, it will get 188.7m.

2 hours ago, Truckasaurus said:

Some more perspective. Here are the highest grossing weekend-only tallies of all time:

1) The Force Awakens - $190.9M

2) Jurassic World - $190.3M

3) The Avengers - $188.7M

4) Age of Ultron - $163.7M

5) Iron Man 3 - $158.5M

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I call it Captain America 3 because calling it Civil War just seems tacky to me, considering the context of American history. Also, I don't really care about superhero movies.

Not aimed at anyone in particular.

I mean as soon as the preview number came out, people start comparing the performance to Winter Soldier, instead of Ultron.