The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

I have American Beauty in my top 5 of all time. It should show up. But there's too many young people on the site to fully get the gravitas of American Beauty. And I'm not saying that to be pretentious I'm just saying you need to be at a certain point in your life to really get with that movie is trying to convey.

• Like 3

it's funny i found american beauty pretty profound when i was like 15. but now i think it's sorta basic and plays at being profound w/ a plot leaning on stereotypes and sitcom tropes. until spectre came along i'd have had no problem calling it Sam Mendes' worst film.

• Like 3

I still think American Beauty's great. Maybe its satire doesn't feel new anymore but it's still really funny and Spacey gives a great performance. Plus Thomas Newman's score is iconic.

Edited by tribefan695

i think thora birch probably gives the best performance in the movie. that and ghost world she's incredible. it's a shame her parents apparently pretty much screwed over her film career. well that and dungeons and dragons.

I would in no way expect Avatar to show up this deep into this list except that Panda described Titanic as the biggest blockbuster so far and well... unadjusted, only Avatar is a bigger box office blockbuster than Titanic.

...adjusted, Titanic is not the biggest blockbuster so far, so it kind of points to a ridiculously high ranking for Avatar.

On a side note? What will the top Black and White film be? Can an oldie beat out Schindler?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

On a side note? What will the top Black and White film be? Can an oldie beat out Schindler?

IMO, Casablanca is the only contender to do it. But I think Schindler will win.

41 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

I would in no way expect Avatar to show up this deep into this list except that Panda described Titanic as the biggest blockbuster so far and well... unadjusted, only Avatar is a bigger box office blockbuster than Titanic.

...adjusted, Titanic is not the biggest blockbuster so far, so it kind of points to a ridiculously high ranking for Avatar.

Rooting for...

Chaplin-City-Lights.jpg

• Like 1