The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

Yeah this has been the best Countdown for any list I think I've ever seen at any site that I've ever been to in the fifteen years or so that I've been going to the box office forums. Really well done. I don't think my next countdown is going to come anywhere close to matching yours in terms of ingenuity. So you set the bar very high.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

No need to apologize, @The Panda. You're doing a wonderful job and I know it takes a lot of time and effort to do these write-ups. This has been really fun. Don't stress about forcing yourself to finish. 

Forcing oneself to finish when the body is about to fail you is what being a man is all about! Go Panda!

I mean... um Saturday is good too.

• Like 4

How fortuitous: Lawrence of Arabia has been discounted in the Google Play store recently, to $9.99. When I looked a couple weeks ago it was $19.99. Not sure how long it'll be on sale for, but I probably wouldn't have checked again soon were it not for it appearing in this countdown.

• Like 1

Terminator 2 is pretty great

Mad Max would've been even higher if the deadline date was three days later lol. Wasn't on my list but would've been on May 15

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is pretty pretty good

Inception is average, doesn't deserve to be on this list at all

• Like 1

All the complaining about Fury Road on the last three pages should've been directed at Inception, but then again, "IT'S TOO RECENT" bias all up in this place. It's okay, I'm guilty of it too.

• Like 2

This years list has shaped up to be clearly the best one on these forums, at least since 2012. Many movies that were more popular than good and which used to place really high in earlier years have moved down or completely disappeared. And many good films which didnt use to make it or would make it very low have appeared quite high. A victory for the forums!

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Infernus said:

This years list has shaped up to be clearly the best one on these forums, at least since 2012. Many movies that were more popular than good and which used to place really high in earlier years have moved down or completely disappeared. And many good films which didnt use to make it or would make it very low have appeared quite high. A victory for the forums!

I tried to make the voting system so itd weed out movies that say got lots of 60 and 70 placements as filler on lists.  Then again that partially backfired with somebody placing Civil War at #1 and it making it on the list

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

I tried to make the voting system so itd weed out movies that say got lots of 60 and 70 placements as filler on lists.  Then again that partially backfired with somebody placing Civil War at #1 and it making it on the list

You could have done what I do for my Video Game/Score lists. The scores are weighted based on the size of your list.

So if someone submits 25 films, their #25 film is worth 1 point, whereas with a 100 film list their #25 is worth 75 points.

As the person who had Civil War at #1, I think you should probably make a list that makes less of a gap between the first movie of a person and their last. Só that movies that make more lists at lower positions are above movies that appear on few lists at the top spots.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Panda said:

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

You could have done what I do for my Video Game/Score lists. The scores are weighted based on the size of your list.

So if someone submits 25 films, their #25 film is worth 1 point, whereas with a 100 film list their #25 is worth 75 points.

1 hour ago, ThiagoMaia said:

As the person who had Civil War at #1, I think you should probably make a list that makes less of a gap between the first movie of a person and their last. Só that movies that make more lists at lower positions are above movies that appear on few lists at the top spots.

There's really no perfect solution. A system that weights heavily at the top, with much larger weights for longer lists, will do a good job of excluding filler movies placed near the bottom but will allow some films highly placed on a very small number of lists to sneak in. Conversely, a system that has reduced weight at the top increases the risk of low ranked filler movies sneaking in.

All in all, I think The Panda struck a good balance between these competing objectives.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Oh I did something like that, any lists under 50 movies had their points cut in half.  

I meant I put more weight on people's top 25, 10, 5, and 1 picks, while still making it easy to score quickly.

The only thing I'd change is maybe have 75-50 be its own point bracket.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

I just watched Pan's Labyrinth again.

Yep, definitely deserving of its #8 position on my top 100

God I love this movie. One of my favorite endings among all the movies I've watched. 

To hear it barely missed the list breaks my heart, but... who knows. Maybe it'll show up on next year's list? :)

• Like 1