WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

Just now, narniadis said:

hows he doing btw?

He was in pain last weekend.  I don't talk to him much (only three or four times so far this year) but he's recovering slowly.

10 minutes ago, Baumer said:

This is how we tracked box office BM (before Mojo)

A5abacus.jpg

And would have gone back to it in 2014 when there were those meltdowns that BOM may be shut down.

• Like 2

CLUELESS GENERAL AUDIENCE STORY: My grandmother is a big cat lover, as is my aunt. For Mother's Day, my aunt saw Keanu and told her "MY SON IS TAKING ME TO SEE THE NEW CAT MOVIE!!!!!!". I'm guessing she didn't tell her a goddamn thing about it other than it's a cat movie and it's good. The other day she gathered some friends and they went to go see it. The big question is, did she like it?

She fucking HATED IT :rofl: She is in no way the intended audience for that movie. I want her to take my cousin's six year old son to go see Sausage Party this summer :redcapes: 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

CLUELESS GENERAL AUDIENCE STORY: My grandmother is a big cat lover, as is my aunt. For Mother's Day, my aunt saw Keanu and told her "MY SON IS TAKING ME TO SEE THE NEW CAT MOVIE!!!!!!". I'm guessing she didn't tell her a goddamn thing about it other than it's a cat movie and it's good. The other day she gathered some friends and they went to go see it. The big question is, did she like it?

She fucking HATED IT :rofl: She is in no way the intended audience for that movie. I want her to take my cousin's six year old son to go see Sausage Party this summer :redcapes: 

Thats awesome!!!

• Like 2

To expand on, and conclude, my earlier message, Captain America: Civil War is now part of the elite club of 3 franchises (3+ movies only) in which every installment grossed more than its predecessor in every major box office category -- opening week-end, total domestic gross, total worldwide gross.

They are:

- Toy Story

- Lord of the Rings

- Captain America

James Bond was close. Iron Man almostttt makes the list, but Iron Man 2 grossed like $6M less than Iron Man in total domestic gross.

Bourne makes the list if you count only the original trilogy, which could be viewed as separate, I guess, because Matt Damon isn't in the 4th movie.

Major websites consider Captain America and Iron Man as distinct franchises even though they are still part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe franchise, so Bourne could, too, if you consider "Matt Damon's Jason Bourne" as its own franchise. Whatever. Strictly speaking though, it's not part of it, so I didn't include it.

Hundreds of franchises either don't make the list because of 1 movie, or aren't even close to making this list by a ridiculous margin. 

Now, tell me, does anyone still consider this movie a disappointment? :redcapes:

If someone finds a 4th franchise, please let me know, I'll edit this message :ph34r:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

To expand on, and conclude, my earlier message, Captain America: Civil War is now part of the elite club of 3 franchises (3+ movies only) in which every installment grossed more than its predecessor in every major box office category -- opening week-end, total domestic gross, total worldwide gross.

They are:

- Toy Story

- Lord of the Rings

- Captain America

James Bond was close. Iron Man almostttt makes the list, but Iron Man 2 grossed like $6M less than Iron Man in total domestic gross.

Bourne makes the list if you count only the original trilogy, which could be viewed as separate, I guess, because Matt Damon isn't in the 4th movie.

Major websites consider Captain America and Iron Man as distinct franchises even though they are still part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe franchise, so Bourne could, too, if you consider "Matt Damon's Jason Bourne" as its own franchise. Whatever. Strictly speaking though, it's not part of it, so I didn't include it.

Hundreds of franchises either don't make the list because of 1 movie, or aren't even close to making this list by a ridiculous margin. 

Now, tell me, does anyone still consider this movie a disappointment? :redcapes:

If someone finds a 4th franchise, please let me know, I'll edit this message :ph34r:

Bourne. 

I know, I have read your post. Bourne.

Also, X-Men's original trilogy.

Because if we count LotR we have to count Bourne and X-Men too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

I just wanna say something, because reading some messages in this thread and on reddit has prompted me to.

~$1.2B (and 400 dom) can't possibly be seen as a disappointment for Civil War.

The professional box office websites set everyone's expectations way off the charts and that's on them.

This is Marvel Studios' 13th movie. Any other franchise would kill to display such stability and consistent Box office drawing power. Hell, Harry Potter's final, ultimate chapter grossed $1.35B (and 380 dom), and that was the franchise's culmination, its ending point and grand finale. Some could even argue that exchange rates in 2011 were much more favorable too. Just the euro, for example, was 0.70 in July 2011 and 0.88 now, this is huge -- 100 euros now yields 113 USD, back then 100 euros yielded 143 USD = 26% (!!) more. So, at the very least, that counters inflation and market expansion.

Marvel Studios are definitely happy with this, there really is no way to twist it otherwise.

I think they probably expected more, especially DOM, but will still be satisfied with these numbers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

The Hobbit belongs to the LotR's franchise as well. 

;) 

X-Men's original trilogy also jumped from movie to movie. Same with Matt Damon's original Bourne trilogy. 

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

The Hobbit belongs to the LotR's franchise as well. 

;) 

X-Men's original trilogy also jumped from movie to movie. Same with Matt Damon's original Bourne trilogy. 

Look again (BOM link)

Do you see any The Hobbit movies in the list? 

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

Look again (BOM link)

Do you see any The Hobbit movies in the list? 

But we all know they are the same franchise lol. 

Besides, X-Men and Bourne did it on their 3 first movies. They were a trilogy. I am not sure why they wouldn't count. Does this mean that when we get Captain America 4 that trilogy will stop counting as well?

• Like 2

How to make something look better than reality. Of course when you start from 0 you can only go up. But any studio will still prefer Star Wars' downward trend following episode VII to CA's updward trend.

Edited by Cynosure

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

But we all know they are the same franchise lol. 

Iron Man is a separate franchise from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, even though Iron Man is part of the latter. Captain America is also part of it.

It's exactly the same for LOTR.

Lord of the Rings is a separate franchise from the Middle Earth Saga, even though Lord of the Rings is part of the latter. The Hobbit is also part of it.

Unfortunately that isn't true for the X-men trilogy. Ain't me who decided that, just take a look on all the major websites. X-men franchise = X-men trilogy + first class + days of future past. Might have something to do with, you know, the fact that all of those movies have the name "X-men" in the title :ph34r: 

Bourne neither, unfortunately.

edit: ok enough of this, I'm gonna stop, I think nobody cares :P

Edited by Daxtreme

2 hours ago, La Binoche said:

I saw THE LOBSTER which is so twisted and absurdly entertaining during its first half that you can't take your eyes off the screen. The second half is too bizarre for its own good but overall it's still worth watching. It won't do well with the GA

I also saw LOVE & FRIENDSHIP which had my packed theatre full of old people roaring with laughter. I enjoyed it and Kate Beckinsale but Ang Lee's SENSE & SENSIBILITY is still my favorite Jane Austen. Based on my theatre's reaction it will do well, but it didn't quite live up to its 99% RT score for me. 

The Lobster is a movie I'm very interested in. I remember reading about it ages ago and really liking its concept. I'll watch it as soon as I physically can, which means whenever it comes out on Netflix or something as there's no way this is getting a showing anywhere near me. I'm also interested in Love & Friendship because of the reviews, the material its based on and the leads but it's pretty much the same situation for me.

I really should move to a bigger city.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2016 at 3:41 PM, department store basement said:

The biggest problem with making a movie out of Fruit Ninja is that there are no characters and no plot. At least Angry Birds has recognizable characters (though they had no personality before the movie) and a thin plot.

I mean LEGO

Have no hope in it though haha

On 5/20/2016 at 3:52 PM, Telemachos said:

Sky's the limit. I assume it'll be animated. Maybe the fruit are bad guys and our protagonist, who always aspired to be a ninja (but was rejected) has to step up to be the hero he always wanted to be. Get Jay Baruchel. Done. Sells itself.

edit: the big bad villain can be a giant slice of greasy unhealthy Finnish pizza.

Sausage Party 2: The Res-Erection?

On 5/20/2016 at 5:57 PM, Ethan Hunt said:

Just bought my first ticket for an R rated movie :bop:

I haven't seen it yet, but I presume Nice Guys is a much better film than Expendables 2, so you're better off than me

• Like 1

On 5/21/2016 at 8:58 PM, department store basement said:

Is he goofier than he is in Lars and the Real Girl? That's the goofiest performance I've seen him in, with Gangster Squad a close second.

this might be the worst post I've ever read on these boards

His performance in Lars is brilliant. It's what made me a Gosling believer.

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

They are:

- Toy Story

- Lord of the Rings

- Captain America

You forgot Dhoom.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=dhoom.htm

El Mariachi as well.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=mariachi.htm

Edited by department store basement

On 5/20/2016 at 6:12 PM, CoolioD1 said:

now that you can finally get into r rated movies by yourself you can finally learn that nobody who works there cares.

Unless you're seeing like a super soft R. Always got carded at movies like Argo or American Hustle, but no one gave a shit at Looper or Neighbors haha

• Like 1