WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

1 hour ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Okay maybe you don't want your kids to be complaining about being hungry, so you buy them a small $3 kids size popcorn or biscuits or whatever and drink. You have two kids that's $6 Where is this $40 coming from? Why do YOU have to have the biggest 1500 calorie box of popcorn & 1 litre full-fat coca-cola for yourself just so that your kids don't complain. Doesn't make any goddamn sense, you fat fucks.

lol

Re: X-MEN: APOCALYPSE

The launch featured the biggest Fox opening weekend ever in half a dozen markets including Philippines ($4.9 million), India ($3.5 million), Indonesia ($3.1 million), Singapore ($3 million), Thailand ($2.7 million) and Colombia ($1.9 million). http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/x-men-apocalypse-box-office-international-1201780630/

• Like 3

Just now, Jim Shorts said:

I agree with Clay. You shouldn't have to spend $100 for a family of 4 to watch a movie. 

And you don't have to. What's the problem?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Yeah, the nachos my cinema does are glorious but I've never eaten them in a film, I'm not a dick.

I've done it before, but it's infrequent.

One time during a screening of Avatar, 3 months into the run, another time during Million Dollar Arm.

I tried all sorts of methods. At first I tried eating them slowly to not make much noise, but then I thought that might prolong the issue, so then I tried eating them quickly, but it would make things louder. Is there a Seinfeld episode for this?

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

it released in holland 6 weeks ago and made 2.7M

Holland = big state within the Netherlands, but still not the Netherlands, just in case you didn't know

18 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Is the eating  while  watching  a movie thing , strictly American  like clapping,  or do people around  the world do this too? 

Eating yes, but not only pop-corn. Nachos are now very common too, Haribo's too. In my past the Haribo's were partly more common than pop-corn.

Time factor:

you work, pick up the kids, partly even from different addresses, pick or meet the hubby, drive, search for a parking place,... often you have no time to eat before the movies, so you might eat a late evening (real) meal at home.

To 'survive' that without naggings about 'I'm hungry' and worse, especially with kids, you gladly invest into something/anything to eat and drink. Especially as too often the movie starts at times you just manage to catch it, and still get the kids into bed later soon enough for a ~ stable rhythm of when to get to bed and when to stand up in the morning.

In the past they usually stopped the program after th trailers and before the main movie to offer ice-cream in the cinema rooms (term?) itself. Kids starting to want.... A lot of parents paid gladly to shut them up / not getting the beady eyes of others.

Sugar flash... 'nice' driving home.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

correct.

Also, it's not really "fake IMAX", since most people have no idea what 'filmed in IMAX' means. as far as they are concerned, if their IMAX is a massive screen then it is worth it.

Fortunately IMAX footage is becoming more commonplace, and even for digital movies there are improvements in the form of laser arriving.

when i say fake IMAX, i'm not even talking about the LieMAX that most IMAX theaters have even with real footage.  i hope that IMAX laser is cheaper to shoot than 70mm so that more films will use it and more extensively in the film as well.

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The word "no" exists.

When I grew up with my divorced mother and my stepfather, we never got the overpriced event food. Whenever we went to the movies, we almost never got popcorn. It was the same with going to the Zoo or going to a sporting event.

Yes, the word no exists, that's why I have to tell my younger family members I can't take them to the movies all the time. But if I DO take them to the movies, then I want them to have fun. That's kind of the point. My nieces and nephews aren't going to the movie so they can come home and analyze the cinematography on the Internet, they want to go to have fun with their friends and eat popcorn and be silly. So telling them no to a major part of the experience when you brought them there specifically to have this fun experience is kind of counterproductive. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I've done it before, but it's infrequent.

One time during a screening of Avatar, 3 months into the run, another time during Million Dollar Arm.

I tried all sorts of methods. At first I tried eating them slowly to not make much noise, but then I thought that might prolong the issue, so then I tried eating them quickly, but it would make things louder. Is there a Seinfeld episode for this?

yeah when you get self-conscious and you try to do it as quiet as possible you get completly distracted and can't watch the movie :P and you're probably being just as loud anyway.

I am getting slowly more and more put off by the cinema. It seems like every time I have been in the past few months, there have been people talking or looking at their phone. Usually I can shut them up but sometimes I just don't have the energy to. And then when you add the amount of rustling, crunching and slurping... not to mention people who sneak hot food in and stink the place out. I like watching movies at home, where I am more comfortable, and I can pause it to go the toilet. And I'm not distracting anyone if I make noise or check my phone.

My only real issue is that it takes a long time for a movie to reach home media at good quality. Watching pirate streams at super compressed 720p is crap. Netflix 1080p is good but their library is lackluster.

• Like 2