baumer

Baumer's 50 most important films of all time (JFK 3, Earthlings 2.....FREE YOUR MIND! THE MATRIX NUMBER 1)

Thanks Baumer, enjoyed reading this, well done, great work!

:hiphiphoray:

Too many horror movies on that list for my tastes (especially since I don't believe more than like 2 of them really influenced cinema as a whole and not just the horror genre), but a very interesting list nonetheless, with many titles I am now curious about.

Let's just say, The Matrix at #1, I didn't see that coming :qotd:

Also, NO LOTR?

:apocalypse:

Tele covered the main points :ph34r: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baumer said:

I didn't have them on my list.  I don't see how they changed much or really had any significant addition to Hollywood.  They are terrific films (at least the first one is) but they are not overly important imo.

giphy.gif

Oh Baumer, am I going to have to create my own 50 most important list?

• Like 1

Matrix at #1 is a brilliant pick.  IDK exactly where it would go if I made a list but I know it'd at least be top 5 - in most important and my favorite films ever.  The feeling I had walking out of the Matrix for the first time...pretty indescribable.  There has definitely been other films through my life where you just get that pumped up feeling, and are grinning ear to ear after seeing something amazing but nothing was quite like the Matrix feelings I got.  Never forget them.  Mind blowing movie and it holds up incredibly well after seeing it and Reloaded (yes, I liked it a lot) prob around a 100 times each.

• Like 2

97% of people who think The Matrix is a brilliant movie didn't realize the messsage of the movie completly flew over their heads.

Beg to differ, I think it was pretty obvious. Then again, might be that it flew over my head also...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Baumer said:

In what sense is Chocolate important though?  And Ringu is not on this list.  I can tell you that much.

I know Chocolate is not important considering film industry, but for a simple/single person it can be. One might argue that Chocolate urges one to "live life to the max, not tolerate domestic violence, be more tolerant towards different people, not live following very strict rules and notice that changing scenery all the time has effect to one's children". It deals with everyday issued and has "warmth of life" in it that we all should find in our lives. Now I know this is a bit far-fetched and provocative, but looking at your top 10 with those "animal right movies", it is kind of harsh to say that Chocolate could not be important.  

It was interesting to read your list as I think it also gave some insight to you as a person (I am very new to this forum, so maybe this not new stuff to regular readers). I was kind of waiting to see "Conspiracy Theory" at top ten also ;). It just sometimes surprises me how people love conspiracy theories in NA (not saying they do not exist, I myself tend to think only good things from people). This post is NOT meant as offence even if I understand if you take is as such. Anyway, my hat is off to you, sir, for making this list and sharing it with us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

97% of people who think The Matrix is a brilliant movie didn't realize the messsage of the movie completly flew over their heads.

The Matrix works on a philosophical, political and spiritual level.

Which one are you referring to?

• Like 1

Oh my @ttr....please don't apologize for having certain films that speak to you more than I do to other people. If you get something like that out of chocolat then that is awesome. You read my list you have seen on there some of the films that I have that people don't have any connection to. We all have films that speak to us in ways that they don't speak to other people. Thank you for reading and thank you for commenting and I'm really glad that you're at the forums. I would love to see you take a crack at this. I'd love to get the perspective of other people and see what films are important to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Stingray said:

No Blade Runner? It basically invented the cyberpunk genre/aesthetic and influenced, among others, The Matrix.

There's a ton of films that could have been on here. Care to do a list? I'd love to read your perspective.

• Like 1

Fabulous list, Baumer, with some unique and unexpected choices in there.

I haven't seen Earthlings, but I know enough about this kind of thing to be a mostly vegetarian for nearly 3 years (albeit with a few slip-ups). The Matrix is pretty obvious choice, and JFK is a masterpiece. Intense, brilliantly acted, and equally thought provoking. 

• Like 1