baumer

Baumer's 50 most important films of all time (JFK 3, Earthlings 2.....FREE YOUR MIND! THE MATRIX NUMBER 1)

Really enjoyed reading this (might steal the idea someday :ph34r:), but I would say that I was a little disappointed that To Kill a Mockingbird didn't get a mention. Of course I'm biased, since the book and the movie are pretty much perfect in my eyes, but I do feel that not only did Gregory Peck and Mary Badham set the bar for all future actors to come in terms of conviction and character, but it spoke about the unfairness of bigotry, hatred, and intolerance, something that society has unfortunately carried on, and will likely continue on for decades. It asks us to crawl into another man's skin, and tells us about the importance of growing up and maturing in a way that most filmmakers could never touch on so effectively. Not mad at the overall list, and I know that you might not have the same connection, but it still feels kinda empty to me.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Baumer said:

You've seen Earthlings?  :o

Yep I've seen it,  I remember the scene you're talking about and even remember what I'll just call the inverted cow machine. So I get how it all made you feel 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

It's B's list, so my opinion is completely moot, but I think LOTR should be on any Most Important list. It singlehandedly resurrected the ancient fantasy genre and made it respectable. I think the younger crowd maybe doesn't realize how dead that genre was: it was deader than the western before UNFORGIVEN. LOTR popularized the concept of shooting multiple films concurrently, as opposed to back-to-back. WETA's development of Gollum made dramatic leaps in mo-cap and realistic character animation. And, of course, the franchise was one of the most dominant forces at the Oscars in film history... while being a massive global hit as well.

67268684.jpg

• Like 2

You know what @Telemachos, you are right.  They really did a lot to change the game.  I didn't see it the way you did.  Perhaps if you would have explained this to me earlier, I might have included them on the list.  But it's over now.  I will go to the box and sit for two minutes and feel shame.

j1iHmQF.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Really enjoyed reading this (might steal the idea someday :ph34r:), but I would say that I was a little disappointed that To Kill a Mockingbird didn't get a mention. Of course I'm biased, since the book and the movie are pretty much perfect in my eyes, but I do feel that not only did Gregory Peck and Mary Badham set the bar for all future actors to come in terms of conviction and character, but it spoke about the unfairness of bigotry, hatred, and intolerance, something that society has unfortunately carried on, and will likely continue on for decades. It asks us to crawl into another man's skin, and tells us about the importance of growing up and maturing in a way that most filmmakers could never touch on so effectively. Not mad at the overall list, and I know that you might not have the same connection, but it still feels kinda empty to me.

Please, feel free to do your own list.....I'd love to see other's opinions.

• Like 1

The Matrix also had one of the greatest "wow wtf is that?!" trailers ever

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's B's list, so my opinion is completely moot, but I think LOTR should be on any Most Important list. It singlehandedly resurrected the ancient fantasy genre and made it respectable. I think the younger crowd maybe doesn't realize how dead that genre was: it was deader than the western before UNFORGIVEN. LOTR popularized the concept of shooting multiple films concurrently, as opposed to back-to-back. WETA's development of Gollum made dramatic leaps in mo-cap and realistic character animation. And, of course, the franchise was one of the most dominant forces at the Oscars in film history... while being a massive global hit as well.

I'm willing to bet there won't be another fantasy or science fiction film that will be able to sweep the Oscars like that again.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 3

It's B's list, so my opinion is completely moot, but I think Avatar should be on any Most Important list. It singlehandedly resurrected the science fantasy genre and made it respectable. I think the younger crowd maybe doesn't realize how dead that genre was: it was deader than the western before UNFORGIVEN. Avatar popularized the concept of shooting multiple films 3D, as opposed to post-processing. Jim's development of 3D cameras made dramatic leaps in filmmaking and smoother realism of 3D. And, of course, the franchise will be one of the most dominant forces at the Oscars in film history... while being a the biggest global hit of all time as well.

19 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm willing to bet there won't be another fantasy or science fiction film that will be able to sweep the Oscars like that again.

I beg to differ.

I enjoyed this list although I've probably only watched close to 30/50 of this list, if I count the rewatches of T2 and Titanic I could hit 50 watches though.

The Matrix was incredible at the time, I wish I could re-watch that shit for the first time again. Not only that but I agree with Baumer on why it's influence on cinema has been huge.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The Matrix also had one of the greatest "wow wtf is that?!" trailers ever

I'm willing to bet no film ever sweeps again. 

• Like 5

Awesome list Baumer. I vehemently disagree with many of the choices and the placing of many films on the list, but it was well thought out and put together, plus all the choices were at least interesting. Definitely have some new films to check out.

• Like 2

I do hope some others take a crack at this. I'd love to see someone elses opinion in the top 50 or even top 25 most important films of all time in your opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, Baumer said:

And once again thanks to all who read and commented.

Would be nice to the full list, so those who wish to read your opinion on certain films can do so.

That's assuming you have the full list written out, otherwise it's not worth the hassle.

• Like 1

50) Enter the Dragon

49) Sixth Sense

48) The Jazz Singer (1927)

47) Iron Man

46) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

45) Boyz N The Hood

44) A Streetcar Named Desire

43) Free Willy

42) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

41) 2001 A Space Odyssey

40) They Live

39) Silence of the Lambs

38) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

37) Gone With the Wind

36) Battleship Potemkin

35) Airplane

34) Terminator 2

33) Blair Witch Project

32) The Breakfast Club

31) Scream

30) The Birth of a Nation

29) Rebel Without a Cause

28) The Exorcist

27) Toy Story

26) The Godfather

25) Metropolis

24) Titanic

23) Casablanca

22) Steamboat Willie

21) All Quiet on the Western Front

20) Singin in the Rain

19) A Nightmare on Elm Street
18) Easy Rider

17) The Dark Knight

16) The Wizard of Oz

15) Night of the Living Dead

14) Schindler's List

13) Rocky

12) Pulp Fiction

11) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

10) Citizen Kane

9) Halloween

8) Pyscho

7) Instinct

6) Avatar Star Wars: A New Hope
5) E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

4) Jaws

3) JFK

2) Earthlings

1) The Matrix

• Like 2

guys keep in mind the only thing that I wrote completely on my own why is why it was important to me. There were other pieces that I added to the list but almost every one of the parts where it says why it's important, that is just copied and pasted from other parts of the internet. There's a lot of reviews there from Roger Ebert who I respect immensely as a reviewer and there's reviews there from regular people online and there's stuff from Wikipedia and so on. So if you do a list just use some research on the net and you can find what you're looking for. So again it's only the stuff for I put why it's important to me that's really all you need to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

67268684.jpg

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

You know what @Telemachos, you are right.  They really did a lot to change the game.  I didn't see it the way you did.  Perhaps if you would have explained this to me earlier, I might have included them on the list.  But it's over now.  I will go to the box and sit for two minutes and feel shame.

j1iHmQF.jpg

You should retroactively put FotR in to replace Citizen Kane's spot. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2