CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

16 hours ago, excel1 said:

Hot take: they made Ariel way too beautiful. Emma Watson and the other series leads have been good looking people who get dolled up by Hollywood. In this film, it looks like a young Tyra Banks/Beyonce beauty queen swimming around scantily clad. Parents might find it a bit overly sexual, even if it is unintentional. Young girls will look at her and feel inferior by comparison as opposed to the "That could be me/I am just like her!" vibe they usually go for.

I’ve seen photo shoots of Halle and her sister 🥵 they’ve definitely downplayed her sexiness in this starting with the lack of a proper shell bra.

Ive showed 5 people the trailer for this movie, my parents, my girlfriend, my girlfriends friend and a coworker. None of which are hardcore movie fans like myself or most people here. None of which have any disdain towards live action Disney Remakes as you see so often on the internet.

And they all had the same reaction, the exact same, interest when they know there's a The Little Mermaid remake being done which then just disappears completely when they see who is playing Ariel. All of them just wondered....why is Ariel black? By the end of the trailer they just aren't interested anymore.

These aren't racists or the type you'd find in the YouTube comments or on movie forums, just casual movie people. 

The dislikes on YouTube don't surprise me at all. I think they've made a tremendous mistake with this. It's got a very good chance at flopping and you already know the excuses they'll make but really all they had to do was make Ariel look like Ariel. They've done the same mistake with this new Peter Pan.

And Disney won't learn.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, scabab said:

Ive showed 5 people the trailer for this movie, my parents, my girlfriend, my girlfriends friend and a coworker. None of which are hardcore movie fans like myself or most people here. None of which have any disdain towards live action Disney Remakes as you see so often on the internet.

And they all had the same reaction, the exact same, interest when they know there's a The Little Mermaid remake being done which then just disappears completely when they see who is playing Ariel. All of them just wondered....why is Ariel black? By the end of the trailer they just aren't interested anymore.

These aren't racists or the type you'd find in the YouTube comments or on movie forums, just casual movie people. 

The dislikes on YouTube don't surprise me at all. I think they've made a tremendous mistake with this. It's got a very good chance at flopping and you already know the excuses they'll make but really all they had to do was make Ariel look like Ariel. They've done the same mistake with this new Peter Pan.

And Disney won't learn.

Okay.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scabab said:

And Disney won't learn.

If they liked Little Mermaid beforehand, I'd think that they'd all have known who was playing her. In other words, you showing them the trailer should not have been the first time they saw Halle. And I am sure they are all wonderful people, but I think your claim that they became uninterested based on Halle seems VERY suss, aka, not at all true. 

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 3

Obviously not every dislike is from racist/“anti-woke” idiots. Some people may simply dislike the trailers because all they see is another soulless Disney remake, but there’s no denying that plenty of the dislikes are from people who are mad that Ariel is black, and think Ron DeSantis is the best governor ever. 

• Like 1

Obviously for an enormous amount of moviegoers alive today, they will notice when a major characters race changes. Doesn't mean they care enough about it for it to sway their opinion. Remember all the people who avoided The Batman because Catwoman was black? Me neither. If James Gunn announces Michael B. Jordan as Calvin Ellis and Denzel as his Dad in Superman: Legacy, hype will explode. We should not assume and generalize anyone who notices a change in skin/hair/eye color is suddenly discriminating or using that as a basis to lose interest. 

The lack of a signature moment and song in TLM is obvious from the trailer too, aside from the cheap-looking moment she lays on the rock. Aladdin's trailer had that EPIC NOSTALGIA RUSH when A Whole New World kicked in. B&TB had more novelty factor to it. This feels a bit more run of the mill. 

Edited by excel1

57 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Obviously not every dislike is from racist/“anti-woke” idiots. Some people may simply dislike the trailers because all they see is another soulless Disney remake, but there’s no denying that plenty of the dislikes are from people who are mad that Ariel is black, and think Ron DeSantis is the best governor ever. 

You are right, of course, I just did not like the implication that anybody who did not think this looks good is somehow a racist.

Soulless Remake is something I wish I had said, that is exactly what I feel about  these remakes, and just don't get their populairty.

Not that that matter except to me; this will make a huge amount of money at the box office.

3 hours ago, eddyxx said:

I’ve seen photo shoots of Halle and her sister 🥵 they’ve definitely downplayed her sexiness in this starting with the lack of a proper shell bra.

The shot of her flipping her hair back in slow-mo looks like its a leftover from the 2017 Baywatch film. 

3 hours ago, scabab said:

And Disney won't learn.

That’s called casual racism. That’s what those 5 people are displaying. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

If they liked Little Mermaid beforehand, I'd think that they'd all have known who was playing her. In other words, you showing them the trailer should not have been the first time they saw Halle. And I am sure they are all wonderful people, but I think your claim that they became uninterested based on Halle seems VERY suss, aka, not at all true. 

Believe what you will but it's the exact truth. As I said, these people aren't like us who dwell on the internet, who are movie fanatics who spend time and interest in such things. Not only did they not know who was playing Ariel, they didn't even know they were making another The Little Mermaid movie to begin with. 

And as soon as they saw Ariel they all made some kind of comment on it. "Is that meant to be Ariel?", "Why is Ariel black now", "Whose that meant to be" etc. All interest was lost.

It ain't no surprise. The cartoon is old but well known and remembered fondly. When you see a live action trailer and remake for such a movie to see that the main character looks nothing like the original then you do lose interest because it's not familiar with what you liked in the first place.

And of course people are becoming increasingly aware that this kind of thing is being done more and more and people are just getting tired of it all the time.

24 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Remember all the people who avoided The Batman because Catwoman was black? Me neither.

Catwoman was already portrayed by a black actress as far back as the Batman 60s show. She's been black in comics and the 2004 Catwoman movie.

More importantly though, she's not Batman. Nobody is going to see The Batman for Catwoman. She's just a supporting character, she isn't the star like what Ariel is.

Now when they do the same to Batman himself, then watch the same thing happen. 

16 minutes ago, scabab said:

Catwoman was already portrayed by a black actress as far back as the Batman 60s show. She's been black in comics and the 2004 Catwoman movie.

More importantly though, she's not Batman. Nobody is going to see The Batman for Catwoman. She's just a supporting character, she isn't the star like what Ariel is.

Now when they do the same to Batman himself, then watch the same thing happen. 

I could be wrong but I really think if they announced Michael B. Jordan as Bruce Wayne in the new DCU, there would be a TON of excitement. 

9 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I could be wrong but I really think if they announced Michael B. Jordan as Bruce Wayne in the new DCU, there would be a TON of excitement. 

There was a ton of backlash to his casting of Human Torch. There was backlash when he was merely rumoured to play the next Superman. He'd get a storm of backlash if he were to ever play Batman.

4 minutes ago, scabab said:

There was a ton of backlash to his casting of Human Torch. There was backlash when he was merely rumoured to play the next Superman. He'd get a storm of backlash if he were to ever play Batman.

What backlash there to his Superman rumors...? The Human Torch was before the Creed and Black Panther days. MBJ as Bruce Wayne would be an epic gold mine, be serious, he is a beloved and widely respected actor. 

6 hours ago, scabab said:

And Disney won't learn.

That sounds like a "them" problem. Next.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, scabab said:

And Disney won't learn.

they will learn if the movie flopped at the box office ! if somehow movie became successful then they won't !

but i don't think GA are interested in liking or disliking vdos in yt that much ! most of those dislikes comes from a set of toxic idiots ! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scabab said:

And Disney won't learn.

Please stop making me root for the movie with this stupidity. I really don't want to.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, dudalb said:

You are right, of course, I just did not like the implication that anybody who did not think this looks good is somehow a racist.

Soulless Remake is something I wish I had said, that is exactly what I feel about  these remakes, and just don't get their populairty.

Not that that matter except to me; this will make a huge amount of money at the box office.

Don’t get it twisted I never said that. This movie looks mostly like ass.

• Haha 1