CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

35 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The most shocking part is that Civil War's Memorial Day inflated 4th weekend looks like it will end up lower than Winter Soldier's normal 4th weekend of 16.2M. It can't seem to buy a good hold so far. The only day when numbers exceeded expectations was the first Tuesday.

Does it really matter at the end of the day mate? Cap3 has already surpassed Cap2's entire domestic gross.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Fox seems to have a weak relationship with Marvel. There are not any reports that they were doing a Sony-style deal on Fantastic Four or selling back those rights. It would also be tricky to introduce mutants into the MCU. I would be open to it if Feige could work it out.

Just give it back to Matthew Vaughn or Tim Miller.

And get ready for the superhero fatigue articles. Suicide Squad is lucky it's so far away still.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Using Tomorrowland's multiplier Alice 2 comes in at 76.3m total DOM. :wacko:

51 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Alice 2 UNDER Tomorrowland OW. Yikes!

Tomorrowland isn't a movie Alice wanted to be compared to!

I feel Allegiant might be a better comparison than Tomorrowland, and Allegiant has $66 million at this point, but even then I can still see Alice 2 falling short of that.

And all this talk of a new X-Men movie set in the 1990s is reminding me of that X-Men '92 comic, and the 1992 cartoon it is of course based on.   For many kids in 1992, that was their introduction to the X-Men, and to Marvel comic book properties, since it was before the Spider-man cartoon.  To me, it sounds like the year to choose for the setting for a new movie, considering its importance to the history of the X-Men franchise.

Edited by Outrageous!

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

And get ready for the superhero fatigue articles. Suicide Squad is lucky it's so far away still.

They'll be out in another few hours, without a doubt. Lol

The issue on apocalypse is the timing of this movie. They should have released it somewhere at the end of June. Not 4 weeks after cap3.

• Like 2

Alice not doing well is not surprising.

As I keep saying, X-men films have a ceiling. DOFP had great reviews, a classic storyline and the old and new cast and made $233 million dollars. Apocalypse has none of that, poor reviews, not to mention being the 4th super hero film of the season. There is no particular urgency for the general audience to see it. I thought it was OK with some serious script/screenplay issues. X-men films have never been purely escapist/popcorn movies. And there was one joke in the whole movie. Anything close to $80 would be fine.  

I think one of the problem with Xmen is that it is the oldest CBM franchise still running.

They have retconned, softrebooted, erased, rewinded but it is still Singer at it after 16 years, doing his thing when Raimi, Nolan have long close their franchise which came after the Xmen.

It needs some time off and some new blood, some new perspectives, a new artistic signature to rejuvenate that franchise the next time a movie is released.

I don't like to say it but it's like the Xmen unlike the DCEU and the MCU only survived by having what's left of the core fans from the early 2000's, hence why it never really breaks out at home.  

It seems to me that its perception is like it's a cbm made for that generation mainly and Singer and FOX haven't done a good job in transitionning from the 2000's to the 2010's era with that property, hence why it seems less embraced by the younger generation who were babies when the first movie was released, unlike Deadpool who appears fresher, younger and more appealing to them.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, No Prisoners said:

So piracy was just invented this year?  Holy shit!!!!

And I'll take your bet.  You're saying that for the three day Memorial weekend, CW is going to drop more than 53.4%?  You can keep your Fandango card, whatever that is.  Let's just keep it at a $10 donation, unless you are feeling good about making it $20.00 since no one else is taking your bet

Thought you had the bet sewn up? Was a little worried myself but would not concede til more numbers came in.

You spoke too soon.:locked:

Fourth place belongs to Disney/Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War which made $5.4M on Saturday, +32% over Friday for a fourth frame of $14.1M, -57%, 4-day of $18M and a running cume by the end of Monday of $375.5M.

CA3 can't have a better than 50% hold with a holiday boost and openers under performing. It's almost as bad as BvS.

I called under 400m as a possibility on its second weekend. 

Most thought this movie was over 450 after its first Monday. Most thought over 425m after the second weekend and fatigue was the factor, and that could be partly to blame. But this is falling out of bed like BvS. It can only be one thing, aye matey! #hahahahaha

Under 400m happening. Fudge or no fudge.:locked:

Have a nice day!

So I will owe $30 to the forum

Great call on your part.

This does put 400 in jeopardy as well. Tis is also good for the site.

• Like 3

Fucking terrible weekend.

That drop for Alice 2 is astonishing. Seriously, the first did $116m on its OW! Alice 2's OW won't even pass Alice 1's OD. Embarrassing. 

And weird for X-Men. Reviews definitely hurt it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

And get ready for the superhero fatigue articles. Suicide Squad is lucky it's so far away still.

I would be totally game for that prescription. But, Deadline was suggesting that Fox might want to put the series on the shelf or reboot, and that was this morning before these updated numbers came in. Sunday and Monday estimates and actual numbers might be lower, as it seems the numbers are slowing down and getting a bit weaker with time. And the holds will be weak. That's going to make calls for Fox to give it up or reboot loud, intense, and heard.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I think what is hurting CW is that it isn't a simple good guy vs bad guy story, which is hurting its appeal with family audiences.

Also the fact that we had 4 CBM in the span of 4 months releasing close to each other.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, DAR said:

Any JB numbers?

They only updated the top 5

So Apoc had lower expectations than DOFP, missed it, and has poor eroding dailies. 

Fine example of fatigue. When fatigue happens it rears up and bites you in the ass right from the start. 

4 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

They only updated the top 5

So Apoc had lower expectations than DOFP, missed it, and has poor eroding dailies. 

Fine example of fatigue. When fatigue happens it rears up and bites you in the ass right from the start. 

Fatigue of what? The x-men franchise?

Apocalypse without a doubt deserved more. It would have grossed better if it was released on June or July.

6 minutes ago, MarvelandDC said:

Fatigue of what? The x-men franchise?

Apocalypse without a doubt deserved more. It would have grossed better if it was released on June or July.

The franchise and SH saturation too I guess

35 minutes ago, Ent said:

I think one of the problem with Xmen is that it is the oldest CBM franchise still running.

They have retconned, softrebooted, erased, rewinded but it is still Singer at it after 16 years, doing his thing when Raimi, Nolan have long close their franchise which came after the Xmen.

It needs some time off and some new blood, some new perspectives, a new artistic signature to rejuvenate that franchise the next time a movie is released.

I don't like to say it but it's like the Xmen unlike the DCEU and the MCU only survived by having what's left of the core fans from the early 2000's, hence why it never really breaks out at home.  

It seems to me that its perception is like it's a cbm made for that generation mainly and Singer and FOX haven't done a good job in transitionning from the 2000's to the 2010's era with that property, hence why it seems less embraced by the younger generation who were babies when the first movie was released, unlike Deadpool who appears fresher, younger and more appealing to them.

I  totally agree with your core rx--time off, new blood, new perspectives, and a new artistic signature could rejuvenate the franchise. Deadline reported that the movies skew 25 or older, and I think that is because that crowd has developed an attachment to the series that the younger one does not have. Deadline reported higher younger audience goers gave above average cinemascores to XM:A. Deadpool's attitude and commentary on superhero movies kind of hits a cultural sweet spot. 

But, I think critics, fans, and moviegoers really want something fresh and different, and Singer has a clear comfort zone, and that is limiting the appeal of the movies.

Edited by superweirdo87
  • Like 3