CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

Hey Civil War crossed Deadpool on Saturday and is now the highest grossing film of the year that's something positive. unless if Dory does TS3 numbers (I don't think it will at this point). CW will probably be the highest grossing film of the year until Rogue One comes out.

• Like 3

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Zootopia is just under 9M for the billion dollar mark. ZOOFUCKINGTOPIA IS ABOUT TO REACH A BILLION DOLLARS.

I would've never, ever been able to realistically forecast that in 2015.

I've said it a dozen times, but I wouldn't have forcasted it in 2015 either.

Even when the last trailer made me a fanboy, I wouldn't have predicted it. Mainly because I think no one predicted the success in China.

15 minutes ago, Kalo said:

While that isn't good numbers for Apocalypse, it's not awful. not enough to kill the franchise imo.

Alice though :wacko:

I think Apocalypse behaves in line with the Xmen rebooted franchise numbers.  

First Class didn't set the BO on fire and like most reboots decreased from the original franchise featuring the beloved old cast.

If DOFP wasn't set as an event movie reuniting the old cast with the new one, maybe this trend would have already started right after First Class, just like the Wolverine diminished from Origins.

DOFP clearly added a significant amount of additional viewers because it was an event movie and it was the last occasion seeing the old cast again.

Now we are back to the usual business, around First Class or declining from it with potential incremental increase from the overseas markets thanks mainly to the ever explanding markets.

23 minutes ago, AJG said:

So you're just gonna act like College Dropout and Late Registration aren't classics?

This, man. When everyone was going crazy bashing Kanye in the Assassin's Creed trailer saying that this "talentless hack" ruined everything, I was just like LOL. Sure, he's a douchebag, but just because he sucks personally doesn't mean that he can't have some of the best music of the 21st century. Shit, he produced most of the Blueprint! Dude was making classics before he ever picked up a mic. 

• Like 2

Fox' mishandling of the Xmen franchise has been monumentally bad and has made them look like second tier superheroes . Fun facts, GOTG has out grossed every Xmen movie and ant-man has out grossed every wolverine movie .

9 minutes ago, jb007 said:

Alice is a legitimate bomb. Depp is BO poison. This is a sequel to a movie which most did not care for and benefited heavily due to 3D.

I don't think you can really blame Depp for this.

• Like 1

X-Men will probably make $175-$180 million domestic. Alice 2 is a straight up bomb even with shit going on with Depp's personal life and Amber Heard divorcing him because of abuse/domestic violence and such. But either way Alice will fall short of $100 million domestic and make around $75-$80 million domestic. The rest will be interesting to look at in the long run. Overall, May 2016 has been the least attended May since 2004.

Edited by Maxmoser3

25 minutes ago, AJG said:

Is Gitesh still acting like the Xmen numbers ain't shitty. He's been trying to hype it up all week.

Yes. He was saying how it was going to be a big opening and pacing ahead of last year. 

Fanboy disillusionment.  

Box Office Walla at it again. Smoking the hopium!

Weekend thoughts:

Kinda blah for X-Men, but this didn't look like it was offering anything to a series that's now 16 years old, and reviews were mediocre to boot, making this look even less special. We'll see if it does more or less than First Class.

Alice 2's opening weekend numbers are rough. 6 years was too long of a wait, especially for a sequel to a divisive movie that struck at one particular moment in time (I was a fan of that movie who was fully planning on seeing this despite how unnecessary it looked but even I have decided to pretty much sit this one out after hearing how ho-hum it was). It might end up with a worse retention than My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, which is pretty darn awful.

Angry Birds and Captain America got hit by competition, no matter how much they underperformed. Neighbors 2 is barely going to make more than 1/3 of the original, awful. At least The Nice Guys will find a nice second life on DVD.

Love & Friendship and The Lobster are kicking ass. Yay!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Welcome to the forum. I could have sworn you were a spam account just based on your name, so this was a nice surprise.

Thanks, i don't have a spam account. I'm often visiting this forum if some interesting films are released. It's fun reading the conversations between the members and the information on this forum is pretty good.

And BTW BKB is a fun guy....he should be MODERATOR!!!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

It's not bad at all.. It's just that with people like me creating 225M OW Clubs and being so certain of it, along with others finally climbing onboard after the stellar reviews and RT Score, it's sort of hard not to feel disappointed, but once the dust settles, it's actually a damn good number given this being the 13th movie in this franchise.. Expectations get the best of us and it'll probably happen when I do a club for "MEG" when the time comes.. The only Club I really don't see failing is my EPISODE VIII 235M OW Club.. No way and especially since this is a direct continuation of VII..

The part to like is that CA: CW is an excellent movie and advances the universe in a very positive way.  Like you have mentioned, it is the 13th movie in the universe, so $400m+ is an excellent number for this. 

• Like 6