CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

Depp wasn't the problem I had in Alice 2. In fact, he was the best part of it and shouldn't be blamed for the movie's financial failure.

I just don't understand how a studio can spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a movie, and not throw in a few more to actually get a decent script.

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Depp wasn't the problem I had in Alice 2. In fact, he was the best part of it and shouldn't be blamed for the movie's financial failure.

I just don't understand how a studio can spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a movie, and not throw in a few more to actually get a decent script.

Money can't buy a good script, you know.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Money can't buy a good script, you know.

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

It's not really a magic process like that. :lol: 

Don't get me wrong, but if they see that the script sucks, what's a few extra bucks for maybe a re-write or two?

32 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Don't get me wrong, but if they see that the script sucks, what's a few extra bucks for maybe a re-write or two?

Time. They can't spend forever on something that's probably not gonna be that much better.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's not really a magic process like that. :lol: 

Another winner!

I understand that there are certain technical guidelines that are generally agreed on as far as writing scripts (structure, climax, denouement, etc.), but the reality is that "a good script" is such an elusive, subjective notion, that people truly forget that nobody really has a formula to what that comprises in terms of structure, content, and all that good stuff.

It's definitely not a magic process or some sort of formulaic thing that leads to a good script (whatever that is).

And even after that "good script" is attained, there is absolutely no guarantee that audiences will respond to it and embrace the film.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

X-Men didn't look like it was bringing anything new to the series, and Alice was an unnecessary sequel at least three years too late where all of its pluses at the time (3D, Depp) are now negatives. Pretty easy to pinpoint what went wrong.

X-Men also had a generic plot that was too familiar.

4 hours ago, HurriKaty said:

Also Zootopia dropped below 1m finally.  It was bound to happen eventually but damn.   :(

Had such a great run.

Meh, it's OK for a Disney pic of late.

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Does nobody understand that this is Michael Bay's movie? Yeesh.

Does that mean it deserves a pass? 

And on the topic of more money for script rewrites:

1 hour ago, johnboy3434 said:

It can't make it any worse.

Yes. It. Can.  Do I need to quote the innumerable examples in Hollywood history?  (Green Lantern being just one of the most exploited debacles.)

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

More hands in the pie (even if simply "polishes") always muddles the recipe. 

Edited by Macleod