CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

12 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

The bet is 53.4. It's currently 53.3 which is not an actual.

I don't mind paying in losing by .001. The point was CA3 would not hold like AOU or IM3 but like Asm2 or worse. Close enough for me to as an additional proof of piracy. 

The only reason one of us should pay is that it goes to a good cause. If it was a personal bet and u lost by 100k I'd tell u to keep it. But it goes to the viability of the site.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Baumer said:

The only reason one of us should pay is that it goes to a good cause. If it was a personal bet and u lost by 100k I'd tell u to keep it. But it goes to the viability of the site.

No problem. If it $1 over  $15,349,918.37 I will pay tomorrow.

1 hour ago, trifle said:

Lucky you!  I got Bourne and Tarzan.  Bourne looked pretty good.  I'm reserving judgment on Tarzan.

Were the trailers good?

The "Free State of Jones" one generated some hmms from the audience, Suicide Squad got nothing (the whole time i was wishing they put up trailer 2 instead, lol), Ghostbusters got chatter and one "boo". Assassin's Creed had some optimistic chatter from most, and the rest were just irrelevant movies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, superweirdo87 said:

Well...Wolverine was largely missing. But this is also the era where Deadpool beat Batman and Superman.

Though, I think it's not necessarily just the popularity of the brand or characters, though X-Men always lagged Spider-Man and what not. It's also the execution of the movies and what brand means. Being known as a household name means *something*, but execution of the movie and what they do the characters means an awful lot more.

I think the X-Men films might do better, if they actually felt more like team movies, and were less messy as well.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

3 hours ago, ThatOneGuy said:

A movie with Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman is LOC-...oh wait, nvm

I wasn't signed up to the board yet when that happened but at least in that case Man of Steel had mixed reviews and the new Batman was Ben Affleck which a lot of people did not think would work even at the time of the announcement. Plus, Snyder.  Some folks hate Snyder

There was a lot going for Batman v Superman but there was also a lot of question marks.  What are the question marks for the next Star Wars? Or if Downey does Iron Man 4? Some things just.... are..

10 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will make over a billion. The Avengers with Thanos will make over a billion. The rest will do very well also. I'm more interested to see what will happen once the Thanos saga is completed. That's where it's going to be difficult to keep people giving a shit.  Plus, Downey might be gone by then too.  And others. Will a new cast of characters see the same success? Downey as Iron Man..  I mean everyone can talk about Disney and their marketing and all this shit but Downey as Iron Man is the main draw.

If they can make hits out of Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and the new Spider-man they should be okay. 

• Like 1

If my Apocalypse showing further proved that the GA doesn't know the difference between superhero movies, my Nice Guys showing further proved that the only people who go to non-tentpole films are fortysomethings and older plus their children if they have any.

I don't know why that's been such a trend this year. Every movie I've seen in the theater bar 5th Wave, Hail Caesar, BvS, and Apocalypse had this demographic. Unless someone brings one of their children I'm always the youngest person in the theater by 20 years or more.

Edited by department store basement
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, department store basement said:

If my Apocalypse showing further proved that the GA doesn't know the difference between superhero movies, my Nice Guys showing further proved that the only people who go to non-tentpole films are fortysomethings and older plus their children if they have any.

I don't know why that's been such a trend this year. Every movie I've seen in the theater bar 5th Wave, Hail Caesar, BvS, and Apocalypse had this demographic. Unless someone brings one of their children I'm always the youngest person in the theater by 20 years or more.

We are desperate for movies that even remotely cater to our tastes. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Young people seem to prefer streaming and other entertainment options. Movies whose merit is they're good movies seem like stuff to get at home to younger people. Older ones might have more of an attachment to watching a movie in a theater because of its storytelling and merits.

• Like 1

The only films I've seen in the theater this year that had 4-quadrant audiences at my showings were BvS and Apocalypse.

Revenant, PPZ, HTBS, The Choice, WTF, The Boss, Keanu, Nice Guys, and even Deadpool skewed heavily older. Hail Caesar to an extent too, though the audience at my theater was much younger than those for the earlier mentioned movies. TJB was all families. Only 5th Wave was mostly people younger than me (since teenagers were really the only ones who liked the book).

Edited by department store basement

3 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Young people seem to prefer streaming and other entertainment options. Movies whose merit is they're good movies seem like stuff to get at home to younger people. Older ones might have more of an attachment to watching a movie in a theater because of its storytelling and merits.

Yeah, I only see action movies in theaters. The exceptions are Pixar movies and the rare comedy. If it was free, I'd see all of them in theaters, but it's not. I see no benefit to seeing movies like "The Man from Earth" on the big screen, no matter how awesome that movie is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Young people seem to prefer streaming and other entertainment options.

I certainly prefer streaming or buying online, but I like to watch a movie in the theater every now and then because it can be a good experience depending on the movie. This has nothing to do with how good the movie is though; I really liked How to Be Single but I regret seeing it in the theater since there was nothing I got out of the experience, while I really disliked BvS and have no regrets since seeing Superman fight Doomsday on a huge screen in 3D looks so cool.

• Like 2

DAY

X-Men: Days of Future Past

X-Men: Apocalypse
WEEK 1
Fri   $35,511,974
- / -
$35,511,974 / 1
Est. $26,400,000
- / -
$26,400,000 / 1
Sat   $29,283,650
-17.5% / -
$64,795,624 / 2
Est. $20,250,000
-23.3% / -
$46,650,000 / 2
Sun   $26,028,036
-11.1% / -
$90,823,660 / 3
Est. $18,650,000
-7.9% / -
$65,300,000 / 3
ADVERTISEMENT (scroll to continue with chart)
Mon   $19,752,944
-24.1% / -
$110,576,604 / 4
Est. $14,700,000
-21.2% / -
$80,000,000 / 4

Both Sun and Mon seem a bit optimistic. Especially Mon.

TOMORROWLAND did 42.7m 4-day and 93.4m dom. 2.19x

EPIC did 42.8m 4-day and 107.5m dom. 2.51x

(Both were non-sequels)

ALICE2 had done 34.2m 4-day.

2.00x gives 68.4m.

2.25x gives 77m.

EDIT: Mojo predicts 90-100m dom for ALICE2 despite the 3-day being sub 27m. So they expect 3x+ multiplier off the 3-day ow. For a sequel with bad reception doesn't make sense.

Edited by a2knet