CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

15-20 years ago they were but obviously that paradigm has shifted.

This, really. Let's not forget Memorial Day weekend use to be the start of summer until Twister changed the game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

You guys talk a lot about how strong are the 4th of July and Memorial Day Weekends but all I see every year on these weekends are bombs.

It's the movies being put there is the problem these days. Used to be a time when they had big anticipated movies opening over those two weekends. Or, you'd have a big movie open the wknd before MD and it would continue to do well through the holiday. 

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

You guys talk a lot about how strong are the 4th of July and Memorial Day Weekends but all I see every year on these weekends are bombs.

That has to do with the movies being released rather than the weekends.

44 minutes ago, department store basement said:

For the 2nd year in a row Disney dumps a big-budget movie on Memorial Day weekend with minimal advertising.

After what happened with Tomorrowland (which had better reviews) I am not surprised at all that Alice 2 is flopping so hard.

That's must be why I've seen it advertised like hundreds of times this week alone.

Otherwise yeah, wasn't expecting Alice to make it big. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAR said:

15-20 years ago they were but obviously that paradigm has shifted.

The good old days of Will Smith and Star Wars Prequels. ROTS did 70m over the four day on its SECOND weekend lol

20 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Huh? None of the X-men films ever did close to 300m. 

Adjusted, we get over that mark. Again, I was just hoping that this would be huge, cause it looks cool, we got a bad ass villain, and Professor X is finally bald! :D

• Like 1

From Variety

X-Men: Apocalypse” is ruling the Memorial Day holiday weekend with a brawny $92 million over the four days — more than double “Alice Through the Looking Glass,” early estimates showed Friday.

Fox’s ninth “X-Men” movie was performing at the top end of  expectations of $80 million-plus with an opening day of $30 million, which included $8.2 million in Thursday night previews.

Disney’s “Alice” sequel was coming in well below recent forecasts — which had been as high as $60 million —  with a $10 million opening day Friday. That projects to a four-day total of around $40 million.

Sony’s second weekend of “The Angry Birds Movie” should edge Disney-Marvel’s fourth frame of “Captain America: Civil War” for third with about $25 million at 3,932 locations, giving the animated comedy a cumulative box office around $72 million by the end of the holiday weekend.

“Captain America: Civil War” will follow with about $22 million at 3,365 sites, pushing its domestic total to about $378 million by the of Monday.

All 4-day numbers

• Like 3

$90m+ would be solid for X-Men, it was never going to as well as DOFP. Alice flopping doesn't surprise and I'm not sure if OS can save it. Luckily for Disney, Jungle Book, Civil war and Zoo have made enough dough to cover the losses for Alice. 

Pirates 5 will drop from On Stranger's Tide, I wonder if another studio might be ballsy enough to move a film to Memorial Day and cause Disney to move Pirates, maybe Warner Bros will bring Wonder Woman forward a week

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

Adjusted Memorial Day 4-day openings over the last 10 years:

Last Stand - $161.0m

At World's End - $190.8m (includes the $13.2m Thursday night gross that would have been rolled into the total weekend today)

Crystal Skull - $151.6m (doesn't include the $25m made from full Thursday opening)

Hangover 2 - $111.9m (doesn't include the $31.6m made from full Thursday opening)

Furious 6 - $123.5m 

Not every year is gonna be a knockout, but the idea there haven't been huge releases in a long time is crazy to me.  

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

$90m+ would be solid for X-Men, it was never going to as well as DOFP. Alice flopping doesn't surprise and I'm not sure if OS can save it. Luckily for Disney, Jungle Book, Civil war and Zoo have made enough dough to cover the losses for Alice. 

Pirates 5 will drop from On Stranger's Tide, I wonder if another studio might be ballsy enough to move a film to Memorial Day and cause Disney to move Pirates, maybe Warner Bros will bring Wonder Woman forward a week

With Bloom returning I'm not sure it will. Problem with Alice 2 is not it's DOM drop, but the OS one. That is surprising. Pirates will not face that problem though, so it will be fine.

• Like 1