CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Going from $330M to $100M is a pretty astounding, bordering on unprecedented, drop-off attendance-wise, though.

I read the tea leaves.

All of the factors that made the original a hit were gone by the time the sequel came up.

22 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

I can't believe Last Stand did $122m on this weekend 10 years ago. Sad that that movie was the peak box office success for this franchise (domestically). 

Its 45m Friday was the second biggest opening day ever at the time. I actually remember thinking it was gonna take down Spider-Man's OW record, because what's a 2.5 IM over a holiday weekend? Then it went ahead and showed me what "frontloaded" means.

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Its 45m Friday was the second biggest opening day ever at the time. I actually remember thinking it was gonna take down Spider-Man's OW record, because what's a 2.5 IM over a holiday weekend? Then it went ahead and showed me what "frontloaded" means.

Matrix Reloaded pretty much had the OW record in the bag had they released it on a Friday as well. Same with ROTS. I guess chasing the OW record was not a major priority with studios back in 2002-2006.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The original Pirates of the Caribbean is one of my favorite blockbusters. The sequels sucked. I no longer have any interest in the series.

:sadben:

I quite love Dead Man's Chest (I enjoy AWE but its admittedly a bit of a mess)

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the record is for the biggest drop off from one film to the next in a franchise? Alice Through the Looking Glass has to have a shot at that, right? Going from $334M to most likely under $100M is hilariously awful. I can't think of anything that has even come close to that. 

4 minutes ago, ssjrem said:

Does anyone know what the record is for the biggest drop off from one film to the next in a franchise? Alice Through the Looking Glass has to have a shot at that, right? Going from $334M to most likely under $100M is hilariously awful. I can't think of anything that has even come close to that. 

Episode 8 next year