La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

26 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I have a fiery dislike of the Elder Scrolls series. Even more so now that the Witcher has absolutely embarrassed Bethesda

@4815162342

Maybe next CD Projekt Red can do a post-apocalyptic adventure, to deliver the 1-2 Franchise KO to Bethesda's open-world systems :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Only movies that clearly have strong fan bases (ala Pitch Perfect) will not become immune to sequels. Nothing ever indicated that Neighbors or Horrible Bosses or Magic Mike (to name a few) found additional followings after they left theaters.

Kinda nutty to think the only movies this century to take #1 of the year domestically to either not get sequels or be a sequel are The Grinch (how tempting that must have been) and American Sniper.

It wouldn't exactly be a sequel, but a suitable followup to American Sniper would, of course, be Finnish Sniper.

3 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I'm more of a Fallout guy. I hope Obsidian does the next Fallout. I think they did better than Bethesda story wise. 

Bethesda handing the keys to Obsidian was a one-off thing, they're not going to do it again.

Especially after the bad blood between the two companies after the Metacritic kerfluffle.

Just now, RichWS said:

giphy.gif

People were SO MAD a few years ago when there was talk Bay was gonna make the Ninja Turtles aliens, talking about their childhood getting ruined. And just a few short years later no one even bothers to pretend to give a shit about the sequel

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

I just don't agree with this. There is no magic formula. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Maybe it is a marketing problem. I think the marketing for TMNT2 was mostly terrible compared to the great marketing campaign they made for the first movie. 

Marketing is important, but Id also agree that if your movie wasn't remembered after it left theaters why would anyone want to see the sequel?

Plus, some of the movies getting sequels are ones the audiences were interested in the premise or something of the first movie (it was something new and a non-sequel) but didn't really care about seeing a repeat of it.

Theres a variety of factors on why sequels are bombing this year left and right, but I also think there's a root problem where the GA is getting sequelitis.  Everything is either a franchise now or trying to start one, so the GA is just either picking things that look fresh and new (or well-reviewed/good WoM like TJB) or some of the core franchises they do care about.

For example, me and some of my friends like to go see Seth Rogen movies.  While we still saw Neighbors 2, it was one we almost passed on because so many sequels feel like more of the same.  

I think we're getting to a point where slapping a 2 on something is getting less and less effective.  The studios need to market their sequels as something unique, and having something new to offer that the last one didn't.

• Like 1