La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

American Sniper did okay OS but it was nowhere near the big hit elsewhere that it was in the US

American Sniper did surprisingly well considering that American centric war movies are a tough sell OS. Comedies also don't do great overseas but budgets are low enough that they can still be profitable. 

Variety.... not you too.

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-box-office-sequels-1201788984/

Hollywood is fighting off a nasty illness.

Sequelitis,” the entertainment industry equivalent of the Zika virus, has gripped major studios. Its symptoms include sluggish box office, feverish critical take downs and disdainful social media reactions

Clint Eastwood movies generally do better in the US than OS.

IMHO so far this year: 

As: Zootopia, BvS, Sing Street, The Man Who Knew Infinity

Bs: Kung Fu Panda, Mermaid, Deadpool, HTBS, Eddie the Eagle, CW, Viva, The Nice Guys, X-Men: A, Popstar

Cs: The Finest Hours, P&P&Zs, Race, The Witch, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Hardcore Henry, Green Room, Jungle Book, Keanu, Neighbor's 2, Alice TtLG, TMNT2

Ds: Hail Caesar!, Risen, Gods of Egypt, Huntsman 

Fs: 13 Hours, Zoolander 2, Midnight Special, The Darkness

Edited by UrosepsisFace

I haven't given any D's or F's this year since I only watch movies in the theater I am sure to be entertained by even if they suck (Deadpool and BvS for example).

I gave 4 D's and 3 F's for films from last year, but only 3 of them were "major" films (Aloha & Insurgent got D's, Taken 3 got an F). The rest were direct-to-VOD schlock.

There's a number of films from last year that I will never watch because I know I will absolutely hate them (Hot Pursuit, Jupiter Ascending, Mortdecai, Fantastic Four, Pixels, Poltergeist, Get Hard).

To everyone on this forum:

Has there ever been a summer when EVERY WEEK had a big success coming out? I've been tracking BO almost every week since the week Pineapple Express debuted and there's never been one like that since that year.

So this weekend really isn't THAT terrible when you think about it.

Edited by department store basement

2 hours ago, department store basement said:

True.

Though of the past 4 years's big Middle East war movies (the others are Zero Dark Thirty, Lone Survivor, and 13 Hours) Sniper actually had the lowest US-to-OS box office ratio.

Probably because it's the highest grossing of the bunch, by a considerably large margin.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Has there ever been a summer when EVERY WEEK had a big success coming out? I've been tracking BO almost every week since the week Pineapple Express debuted and there's never been one like that since that year.

I'm one of the fossils of the forum that has been following box office for around 20 years and it's always been like that every summer.

Last Year IMHO:

As: Focus, Mad Max: Fury Road, Inside Out, Straight Outta Compton, Room, Steve Jobs, Pawn Sacrifice, Creed, **The Big Short**, Concussion, The Hateful Eight

Bs: Ex Machina, Dope, Cinderella, Kingsman, Hot Tub Time Machine 2, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Monkey Kingdom, Pitch Perfect 2, Son of Saul, Sicario, Jurassic World, Minions, Ted 2, Ant-Man, Mission: Impossible-RN, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Beasts of No Nation, Spotlight,  Black Mass, The Danish Girl, The Visit, Eye in the Sky, Our Brand is Crisis, The Martian, The Walk, Hotel Transylvania 2, Crimson Peak, Spectre, Hunger Games: Mockingjay 2, The Good Dinosaur, In the Heart of the Sea, Star Wars TFA, The Revenant

Cs: Shaun the Sheep Movie, Z for Zachariah, Jupiter Ascending, Sponge Bob, Mr. Holmes, Fifty Shades of Grey, McFarland USA, Chappie, Trainwreck, Furious 7, Far from Madding Crowd, The Age of Adaline, Tomorrowland, Spy, Macbeth, San Andreas, Terminator Genisys, Everest, Paper Towns, Pixels, Vacation, Ricki and the Flash, The Intern, Pan, Bridge of Spies, Goosebumps, Daddy's Home, Point Break, It Follows

Ds: Mortdecai, Brooklyn, Get Hard, Poltergeist, The Last Witch Hunter, Victor Frankenstein, Joy

Fs: Fantastic Four, Hitman: Agent 47, Anomalisa, Carol

Edited by UrosepsisFace
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Aw, c'mon. Have you even seen Zootopia?

I went back a few pages to like your dancing gif and didn't find it, so I am liking this one instead...

carry on!

15 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Not in recent years.  Actually, it is more reliable to expect there will be a major film that disappoints at some point during the summer.  If the start of May is considered the start of the summer movie season, then Disney has reliably released mega-flops in almost every summer recently: The Lone Ranger in 2013, Tomorrowland in 2015, and Alice Through the Looking Glass in 2016, and Disney is considered to be at the top of the movie world right now.

5 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

Disney is considered to be at the top of the movie world right now.

Only right now - when Lone Ranger was released WB were on top. They were at the end of their hot streak that started with TDK.

Though that just adds to my point - though WB had one of the top summer movies for 6 years in a row they had their share of costly flops as well (like Dark Shadows and The Campaign).

Edited by department store basement

3 minutes ago, trifle said:

on the other hand, even in its second week in most markets (not China) X-Men Apocalypse is number 1 overseas

CkOdVcCW0AI9GeN.jpg

Actually its 3rd weekend in a lot of markets.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Last Year IMHO:

As: Focus, Mad Max: Fury Road, Inside Out, Straight Outta Compton, Room, Steve Jobs, Pawn Sacrifice, Creed, **The Big Short**, Concussion, The Hateful Eight

Bs: Ex Machina, Dope, Cinderella, Hot Tub Time Machine 2, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Monkey Kingdom, Pitch Perfect 2, Son of Saul, Sicario, Jurassic World, Minions, Ted 2, Ant-Man, Mission: Impossible-RN, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Beasts of No Nation, Spotlight,  Black Mass, The Danish Girl, The Visit, Eye in the Sky, Our Brand is Crisis, The Martian, Hotel Transylvania 2, Crimson Peak, Spectre, Hunger Games: Mockingjay 2, The Good Dinosaur, In the Heart of the Sea, Star Wars TFA, The Revenant

Cs: Shaun the Sheep Movie, Z for Zachariah, Jupiter Ascending, Sponge Bob, Mr. Holmes, Fifty Shades of Grey, McFarland USA, Chappie, Trainwreck, Furious 7, Far from Madding Crowd, The Age of Adaline, Tomorrowland, Spy, Macbeth, San Andreas, Terminator Genisys, Everest, Paper Towns, Pixels, Vacation, Ricki and the Flash, The Intern, Pan, Bridge of Spies, Goosebumps, Daddy's Home, Point Break

Ds: Mortdecai, Brooklyn, Get Hard, Poltergeist, The Last Witch Hunter, Victor Frankenstein, Joy

Fs: Fantastic Four, Hitman: Agent 47, Anomalisa, Carol

I'll bite:

As: Creed, Inside Out, Mad Max: Fury Road, Room, Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Bs: Anomalisa, The Big Short, Bridge of Spies, Brooklyn, Carol, Cinderella, Crimson Peak, The End of the Tour, Furious 7, The Gift, Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, The Good Dinosaur, The Hateful Eight, It Follows, Joy, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, Monkey Kingdom, Paddington, The Peanuts Movie, Phoenix, The Seventh Fire, Sicario, Son of Saul, Spotlight, Steve Jobs, Tangerine, Trainwreck, The Walk, What We Do in the Shadows

Cs: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Beasts of No Nation, Black Mass, Bone Tomahawk, The D Train, Dope, Ex Machina, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2, Jurassic World, The Martian, Mistress America, Mr. Holmes, Pixels, The Revenant, San Andreas, Seymour: An Introduction, Shaun the Sheep Movie, Sisters, Slow West, Spectre, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, Straight Outta Compton, Spy, Tomorrowland, The Visit, While We're Young

Ds: Ant-Man, Chappie, Fantastic Four, Hitman: Agent 47, Home, Hotel Transylvania 2, In the Heart of the Sea, Jupiter Ascending, Little Boy The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Max Peril, Pan, Pawn Sacrifice, Southpaw, Ted 2, Vacation

Fs: The Danish Girl, Mortdecai, Minions, Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2

• Like 1