FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - FD: $136.2M, CI: $34.5M, TC2: $15.56M, NYSM2: $9.65M, Flopcraft: $6.52M

39 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Warcraft isn't getting a sequel with such an abysmal dom performance imo.

Too bad.

is falling like a meteorite. but the potential is there, OS is a big hit.

Edited by Belakor

So, on the 8th we get a call from our landlord/lady saying they want to move back into the house, so yall gotsta move and you have 30 days starting now.  I find an apartment 2 days later and I've been slowly moving stuff over every day until the movers can get the big shit(third floor ☹️). 

We're under fire from corporate about payroll so we've had to cut way back and it just started last week when we are finally getting busy.  I was schedule today for a mid-shift 12-8 and once it hit about 6:00pm, there was a line that didn't stop until 8:30pm. Then 20 minutes later here it goes again until 11:00pm.  We don't have any side concessions open, half the theaters are hot, there's a heat advisory in effect, people are bitching, I have to stay until 11, because be cut back so much we don't have enough staff to make hot dogs or even restock candy. I made hot dogs, the fucking GM was restocking candy, we're at wits end(maybe just me?) and I have people complaining because if they wait in line for concession they're gonna miss the movie!!  So I tell them, "Nobody is forcing you to buy concession!"  

I finally get out of work 3 hours later, which normally isn't bad, especially now that I won't have two roommates and rent just skyrocketed, but I'm tired and cranky and then I find this when I get in my truck:

lJxHJdYh.jpg

Someone shot my back window. 

I *really* hate this place. 

I'm going to get another beer. 

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Wow. Guess I was wrong about Dory. No idea what is so appealing about it.

This summer's feast or famine (this year's actually) continues. Can't believe how awful the holdovers have been. 

I guess the famine of this summer so far has a lot to do with the quality of the film. Most of the "flopped" tentpoles do not live up to the expectation / goodwill of the predecessor. 

Only The Nice Guys did seriously underperform considering how well it is perceived. And Angry Bird should have flown much higher, but it came out a decade too late, I think.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Belakor said:

What a depressive summer. Only two or three movies are going to pass the 100m mark.

Um what? Only 2 or 3? I know Warcraft was upsetting but

Civil war

Apocalypse

Conjuring 2

Dory

ID4

Pets

Star Trek

Bourne

Suicide Squad

And those are only. The guarantees.

• Like 3

Also I got an update from my theatre. We didn't have any previews for Dory so this number is just Friday business. $42.2M (which is more or less in line with actual DOM gross, just a bit under). And considering it was on half the screens Jungle Book/Star Wars were on, that is a crazy impressive number (we had to turn away a lot of people, so the number could have easily reached 50M). Dory theatre I think was sold out all night (okay... maybe 85% full for the late screening but still).

So far Jungle Book is still out biggest opening weekend of the year. $130.5M but that was off of a roughly $37.5M Friday which included 6.9M in previews. Dory will likely go crazy for the matinees, making $150M here a sure thing, and 160M is also possible.

9 minutes ago, boxofficeth said:

I guess the famine of this summer so far has a lot to do with the quality of the film. Most of the "flopped" tentpoles do not live up to the expectation / goodwill of the predecessor. 

Only The Nice Guys did seriously underperform considering how well it is perceived. And Angry Bird should have flown much higher, but it came out a decade too late, I think.

Quality is subjective, so it's hard to get into a debate about that. 

But, it just seems very extreme, the holds we are seeing across the board. 

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Unless it gets F4 level reviews, I don't see how it pulls an Alice 2.

FYI it's not being screened for critics (and the screenings that will be thrown will happen after the movie opens). So...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Um what? Only 2 or 3? I know Warcraft was upsetting but

Civil war

Apocalypse

Conjuring 2

Dory

ID4

Pets

Star Trek

Bourne

Suicide Squad

And those are only. The guarantees.

Angry Birds. Ghostbuster is also possible.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Belakor said:

What a depressive summer. Only two or three movies are going to pass the 100m mark.

Did I miss something or will the 3 that are already there and 8 or so more that will get there as well not count?

• Like 2