baumer

Monday Numbers (Dory)...20M or just under RTH

TOP NON-HOLIDAY MONDAYS

Note: This chart only shows $8 million+ days, regardless of sorting.

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Single Day Gross Theaters Average Date / Days in Release Gross to Date* Final Gross*
1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $40,109,742 4,134 $9,702 12/21/15 4 $288.1 $936.7
2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $31,362,029 4,134 $7,586 12/28/15 11 $571.4 $936.7
3 Jurassic World Uni. $25,344,820 4,274 $5,930 6/15/15 4 $234.2 $652.3
4 The Dark Knight WB $24,493,313 4,366 $5,610 7/21/08 4 $182.9 $533.3
5 Finding Dory BV $19,571,283 4,305 $4,546 6/20/16 4 $154.6 $154.6
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, cannastop said:

TOP NON-HOLIDAY MONDAYS

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Single Day Gross Theaters Average Date / Days in Release Gross to Date* Final Gross*
1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $40,109,742 4,134 $9,702 12/21/15 4 $288.1 $936.7
2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $31,362,029 4,134 $7,586 12/28/15 11 $571.4 $936.7

Pretty damn impressive when you also consider its OW only ranks 19th of all time. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cannastop said:

TOP NON-HOLIDAY MONDAYS

That's some solid company

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Was any of you around a BO forum of this kind when Shrek 2 was doing its run? How was it like to experience that?

Not sure if anyone else toughed on this, but here's a quick story for you.  Back in the Mojo days, when Shrek 2 came out, people were expecting it to be big.  Shrek was loved so people thought the opening day was going to be fucking massive.  When Shrek opened in the middle of May to only 11 million on opening day, people were calling for it as a massive failure.  Then when it dropped 22% on Thursday, people were beside themselves, laughing at the failure than Shrek 2 was and basically saying Dreamworks was DOA.  There was so much doom and gloom on the forums and all of those who wanted it to fail were doing cartwheels and back flips.  Some of us, me and Lilmac included were disappointed with the number but also reminded everyone that it was a kids movie opening in mid week and perhaps we should at least wait until the Saturday number before burying it.  That did no good as those who were calling for it's demise were already drunk with glee.

They said that the most it would go up in May, as a new release was maybe 125% and that the weekend might see it do 60 million.  

Thursday was the last day anyone said anything disparaging about Shrek 2's box office.  Friday increased by almost 210%, Saturday by almost 60% and Sunday fell a puny 22%.  It grossed 108 million on the weekend and all those idiots celebrating it's premature demise suddenly disappeared and said nothing.  Shrek 2 then went on to drop a ridiculously small 33% in second weekend for 72 million.  When all was said and done, Shrek 2 was one of the best box office runs of any film up to that point.  It made more than 900 WW and basically shut everyone up.  It killed Nemo, which pissed off the Pixar loonies.

That's what I remember about Shrek 2's box office run.  I think that is when my love hate relationship with the Pixar loonies started and that might have been when I started disliking Pixar myself.

• Like 16

7 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I wasn't very active on Mojo then (hadn't even created an account at that point), but I don't remember it being a super-exciting event. A lot of people expected it to have a huge opening, so when it did, it wasn't mind-blowing. A lot of people (myself included) didn't follow international grosses nearly as carefully as nowadays either. 

Plus, in many respects FOTR stole

its thunder a month later. :P 

Yeah, Potter was huge, but it almost felt like an after thought that year after the initial opening weekend. The Shrek/Monster's Inc CGI-revolution and Fellowship really stole the thunder. 

As for Shrek 2, there really are no words for it. Shrek was beloved by everyone (besides me), and so Shrek 2 was THE event film for families that decade. It was to kids what TDK was to 20-somethings. I actually greatly prefer it to Shrek 2 to the original. Of course all that goodwill went down the drain in the May 2007 Threequel-pocalypse.

Edited by JeepCSC

24 minutes ago, Baumer said:

When all was said and done, Shrek 2 was It made more than 900 WW and basically shut everyone up.  It killed Nemo, which pissed off the Pixar loonies.

I'm going to be one of those loonies, but I honestly don't remember much Nemo-Shrek 2 angst given they were like a year apart, and I don't think anyone was expecting Nemo to win that (though it did win the WW battle). The real Pixar-Dreamworks battle came in 2001. Everything since has just been that battle replayed again and again. Though the war seems to be winding down, and the lamp has outshone the moon. Viva la Remy!

Edited by JeepCSC
  • Like 2

Well, I remember people being upset or maybe even angry that Shrek 2 beat Nemo, both domestically and WW.  That was 12 years ago at Mojo.  I was very active at Mojo back then, so I remember it fairly well.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Well, I remember people being upset or maybe even angry that Shrek 2 beat Nemo, both domestically and WW.  That was 12 years ago at Mojo.  I was very active at Mojo back then, so I remember it fairly well.  

Ah, mojo tricked me putting the rerelease numbers in the worldwide grosses.

Still, I think most of the vitriol was spilled with the first Shrek. By 2004, it was simply a rehash of the old stuff. Though perhaps that is just me being myopic as I had used up my worst barbs for Shrek the First.

Think Dory will be fairly big tonight. There was a huge line out the door of my theater to buy tickets at Cheapo Tuesday for it, and then I peeked in the Dory theater right before my movie started and it was nearly sold out already. 

Anecdotal of course

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

Not sure if anyone else toughed on this, but here's a quick story for you.  Back in the Mojo days, when Shrek 2 came out, people were expecting it to be big.  Shrek was loved so people thought the opening day was going to be fucking massive.  When Shrek opened in the middle of May to only 11 million on opening day, people were calling for it as a massive failure.  Then when it dropped 22% on Thursday, people were beside themselves, laughing at the failure than Shrek 2 was and basically saying Dreamworks was DOA.  There was so much doom and gloom on the forums and all of those who wanted it to fail were doing cartwheels and back flips.  Some of us, me and Lilmac included were disappointed with the number but also reminded everyone that it was a kids movie opening in mid week and perhaps we should at least wait until the Saturday number before burying it.  That did no good as those who were calling for it's demise were already drunk with glee.

They said that the most it would go up in May, as a new release was maybe 125% and that the weekend might see it do 60 million.  

Thursday was the last day anyone said anything disparaging about Shrek 2's box office.  Friday increased by almost 210%, Saturday by almost 60% and Sunday fell a puny 22%.  It grossed 108 million on the weekend and all those idiots celebrating it's premature demise suddenly disappeared and said nothing.  Shrek 2 then went on to drop a ridiculously small 33% in second weekend for 72 million.  When all was said and done, Shrek 2 was one of the best box office runs of any film up to that point.  It made more than 900 WW and basically shut everyone up.  It killed Nemo, which pissed off the Pixar loonies.

That's what I remember about Shrek 2's box office run.  I think that is when my love hate relationship with the Pixar loonies started and that might have been when I started disliking Pixar myself.

These guys when seeing Shrek 2's Friday Gross (and onward) --

JGb0AUg.gif

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Arlo245 said:

I don't remember much about Shrek 2's run...considering I was four :lol:

Same. The first movie's run that I pay attention to was Deathly Hallows 2. That opening day number is glorious.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Captain H said:

Same. The first movie's run that I pay attention to was Deathly Hallows 2. That opening day number is glorious.

I started tracking box office after Frozen was released in November 2013 (I'm a humongous Disney/Animation fan) and that was around the time when I started reading these forums. I finally made an account on June 13, 2015 when Jurassic World was destroying on its opening Saturday. B) Before Frozen, I had no idea what "box office" was. :lol: Frozen's leggy run is what made me obsessed with box office and tracking movies (I've always loved movies including all the Harry Potter films). :)

Edited by Arlo245
  • Like 2