WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

Something About Mary was a MAJOR pop culture event, not a mini one. 

1993 was SUCH a strong year: 

Jurassic Park 
Schindler's List 

The Piano 

Groundhog Day 
The Age of Innocence 

The Joy Luck Club 

The Fugitive 

The Nightmare Before Christmas 

Sleepless In Seattle 

Mrs. Doubtfire 

Kalifornia 

Falling Down 

True Romance 

Dazed & Confused 

The Addams Family Values (better than the original!) 

Carlitos Way 

Remains of the Day 

Jesus Christ! 

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yeesh, no one's even throwing it the "turn your brain off and enjoy" bones Michael Bay's films usually get

It commits the biggest sin any movie like this could commit: it's boring as hell. I didn't think there could be a more unappetizing would-be tentpole this year than Batman v Superman but whoo boy did this prove me wrong. Bravo!

• Like 1

The Flintstones, The Santa Claus, Hook, 101 Dalmatians, Casper, Jumanji, George of the Jungle, Flubber, Space, Jam, Doctor Doolittle, TMNT movies, Inspector Gadget...geez, thank goodness we 90's kids had the Renaissance and Pixar cause we had some absolute sheeeeeet for live action flicks. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Flintstones, The Santa Claus, Hook, 101 Dalmatians, Casper, Jumanji, George of the Jungle, Flubber, Space, Jam, Doctor Doolittle, TMNT movies, Inspector Gadget...geez, thank goodness we 90's kids had the Renaissance and Pixar cause we had some absolute sheeeeeet for live action flicks. 

Casper and Jumanji are good. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It commits the biggest sin any movie like this could commit: it's boring as hell. I didn't think there could be a more unappetizing would-be tentpole this year than Batman v Superman but whoo boy did this prove me wrong. Bravo!

It really was horrible. I can't remember a film that I've walked out of where 99% of the audience was talking about how terrible it is. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Disagree with Hook, Jumanji, The Santa Clause, and the first TMNT.

• Like 1

I too was bored so I looked up what 90s movies had budgets over 100m. Lol at some of these movies

Titanic - 200m 

Speed 2: Cruise Control -160m 

Armageddon - 140m 

Lethal Weapon 4 - 140m

The World is Not Enough - 135m

Stuart Little - 133m 

Godzilla - 130m 

Batman & Robin - 125m

A Bug's Life - 120m

Dante's Peak - 116m 

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace - 115m

True Lies - 115m

Tomorrow Never Dies - 110m

Antz - 105m 

Batman Forever - 100m

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

filmlover, I asked a couple of posters in the ID-R thread about this, but were the young actors as uninteresting some of the reviewers made them out to be?

Kinda. You watch this movie for the action and vfx, not the actors.

Animated films were definitely the highlights of the 90s as a kid, but there were quite a few "adult" dramas and romantic comedies that got low ratings and my parents let me watch those pretty early. I recall some of my first big introductions to film being Joe Versus the Volcano and Groundhog Day

8 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

filmlover, I asked a couple of posters in the ID-R thread about this, but were the young actors as uninteresting some of the reviewers made them out to be?

The whole movie was an uninteresting mess. And then the young actors added nothing to it so it just adds to the atrociousness of the film. I'd recommend it to no one. I should have watched Free State of Jones or The Shallows again.