WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

People don't take her seriously because they believe she doesn't have talent and is only cast because of her looks. That's why after this movie came out you see a lot of critics who are saying it's time to start actually treating her like a legit actress because she's always been good just not picked the right roles. 

I think "she's always been good" is overstating it, the best actors can stand out even in formulaic movies or fluff TV shows, others only shine with good material, I'd put Blake in the latter category. She's poised for a critical breakthrough but it doesn't seem long, long overdue to me...I certainly didn't watch her in Gossip Girl, Savages, The Town or Green Lantern and think this was a criminally underrated actress. Her performances got better and so did the reviews. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

Baumer I think you'd love this comment that was made from someone at my work. "Yea but Dory wasn't as good as Finding Nemo. Dory can just stay unfound."  The shade. 

Don't even try to boost Baumer's spirits. Nothing can save him now from the wrath of the fish. It's almost as bad as watching Tele's get beaten to a pulp against his nemesis JW.

• Like 5

I wonder what Will Smith feel at this point. On one hand this IDR flop does make his appearance look more important than people initially thought it was. On the other hand, we have this nostalgia thing helping other films breakouting these years, but when it comes to the sequel to his most successful work, it flopped. Sounds like some sort of mixed feeling?

1 minute ago, vc2002 said:

I wonder what Will Smith feel at this point. On one hand this IDR flop does make his appearance look more important than people initially thought it was. On the other hand, we have this nostalgia thing helping other films breakouting these years, but when it comes to the sequel to his most successful work, it flopped. Sounds like some sort of mixed feeling?

Fuck Will Smith too.

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

I think "she's always been good" is overstating it, the best actors can stand out even in formulaic movies or fluff TV shows, others only shine with good material, I'd put Blake in the latter category. She's poised for a critical breakthrough but it doesn't seem long, long overdue to me...I certainly didn't watch her in Gossip Girl, Savages, The Town or Green Lantern and think this was a criminally underrated actress. Her performances got better and so did the reviews. 

Gossip girl was crap from my understanding. Her character was extremely poorly written. She was good in the traveling pants movies and The Town. I didn't like her much in Savages then again I didn't like the movie Savages at all. And then the Green Lantern I thought she was fine in. But to me shes been underrated because I've watched her in her indie films that most people haven't seen. And I believe now it's all coming together for her. She's apparently very good in Cafe Society as well. 

3 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

I wouldn't have thought 6 months ago I'd be seeing The Shallows before ID4

I don't think a lot of people would have either but after seeing both you've made the right choice. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Is it looking like 450WW for ID-R?

135 domestic

100 china

210 everywhere else

100-110M domestic if this weekend is in the 40-42M range. 

China is going to open to something like 37M. Based on recent trends there, I'd guess 65-80M depending on WOM. 

No idea about OS-China yet. 

• Like 1

I'm not even bothering to come on here and actively participate in this weekend thread.  It's come to the point where I feel depressed looking at these numbers.

Poor ID:R should've been a hit.  Not only will it mess up my summer game, but I was really hoping it'd be a hit.  I want more sequels to 90s films, and if it were huge, we would get more.  Sadly, that's not the case.

The Shallows has a good number, tho.

• Like 1