Ezen Baklattan

July 1-4 Weekend Estimates | Dory 50.2m, Tarzan 45.6m, Purge 34.8m, BFG 22.2m, IDR 20.2m

18 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

No amount of spinning can make IDR look okay. It's a flat out bomb. The thing got a superbowl spot, which Trazan didn't. It is a sequel to a massive blockbuster. Should have grossed atleast 600 million worldwide with 3d and inflated ticket prices. 

Tarzan exceeded everyone's expectations. I am also confident it will gross as much as IDR if not more in China. 

Can't really spin it, but ID2 might reach $400 million worldwide. As a similar comparison, Pacific Rim (which from its ending might as well have been Independence Day 2), cost $190 million, made $411 million worldwide, and is still getting a sequel (well maybe - which seems more like a reboot from the casting news). Granted China saved PR, while ID2 is doing so-soish there.

It ain't nowhere near as embarrassing a flop as say TMNT 2. . . or BFG (at least what it looks like now)

Edited by Yandereprime101189

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Maybe not a bomb but whoo boy is it an embarrassment for all involved. A sequel to a 20 year old event movie is gonna make less than 20% of its admissions. They should be hanging their heads in shame, for sure.

I agree with this, it is embarassing, but calling it a bomb is completely ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Also, Tarzan is DOA in China. It opens there 3 days before the new Jackie Chan movie. RIP. And by definition if IDR is a flat out bomb so is Tarzan, Pacific Rim, Genisys, Warcraft, between many others.

Jackie chan's boxoffice pull has dwindled considerably. Did anyone see NYSM2 beating IDR in china? Similarly, Tarzan can suprise. They are all bombs, but tarzan has outperformed all of them compared to pre-release expectations. Even if it doesn't make a profit theatrically, it won't be the disaster many here declared it would be. I am talking about under 50 domestic and under 200 worldwide.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Even funnier when he probably thought this would be his redemption after being irrelevant this whole decade so far. Bye bye.

I need that Moonfall movie goddammit! Jk not happening.

9 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

They're all duds, but Independence Day's performance feels especially bad considering that its predecessor smashed records left and right and made $300 million back when only a small handful of films had ever done so without the assistance of a re-release.

This is hindsight, but maybe we were expecting too much of it. The 2016 movie industry is nothing like the 1996 one. Yeah ID smashed records because it was so revolutionary. What could IDR have done to be "revolutionary" in todays age?

Thanks to ID, we've gotten so much stuff blowing up since then that the only thing at this point that wouldve made IDR different is if the aliens came and rebuilt everything instead. Even Will Smith wouldn't have risen IDR to superstar levels. 2016 Will Smith isn't seen like the 1996 Smith.

I guess this is a lesson for the future, especially when it comes to movies where the predecessor and sequel are so far apart.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Maybe not a bomb but whoo boy is it an embarrassment for all involved. A sequel to a 20 year old event movie is gonna make less than 20% of its admissions. They should be hanging their heads in shame, for sure.

You keep saying "shame" like everyone involved did something truly awful. They made a movie, it failed, the end. Happens all the time, with every studio. It's just not everyday a studio decides on a 20 year sequel.

And we were naive thinking it would do monster numbers 20 years later just because. Should've realized this is 2016, not 1998.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jandrew said:

This is hindsight, but maybe we were expecting too much of it. The 2016 movie industry is nothing like the 1996 one. Yeah ID smashed records because it was so revolutionary. What could IDR have done to be "revolutionary" in todays age?

Thanks to ID, we've gotten so much stuff blowing up since then that the only thing at this point that wouldve made IDR different is if the aliens came and rebuilt everything instead. Even Will Smith wouldn't have risen IDR to superstar levels. 2016 Will Smith isn't seen like the 1996 Smith.

I guess this is a lesson for the future, especially when it comes to movies where the predecessor and sequel are so far apart.

They should've just made a better movie. Barf.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Even funnier when he probably thought this would be his redemption after being irrelevant this whole decade so far. Bye bye.

Still, this likely won't be the last we see of him. There will be more historical landmarks to destroy in the future.

30 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Lmao at IDR being called a bomb. What is BFG? The Huntsman? Alice 2? Pan? Jupiter Ascending? Gods of Egypt? Allegiant? We need a new word to describe those.

They're all bombs.

I still think Will Smith being in it would have made a pretty big impact. Nostalgia is in, especially 90s nostalgia.  It's not a surprise that when someone sees the Independence Day: Resurgence trailers their first reaction is "Wait, where's Will Smith?"

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I still think Will Smith being in it would have made a pretty big impact. Nostalgia is in, especially 90s nostalgia.  It's not a surprise that when someone sees the Independence Day: Resurgence trailers their first reaction is "Wait, where's Will Smith?"

I think he would've too. ID was basically his movie after all, but I still couldn't imagine IDR being one of the biggest of the summer all of a sudden. 

21 minutes ago, jandrew said:

All of this is true, but if we learned anything from the extraordinary successes of Star Wars and Jurassic World, it's that there's a killing to be made at the box office when filmmakers and studios properly exploit viewers' nostalgia. Even though the original Independence Day isn't even nearly as well regarded as Jurassic Park (let alone any of the films in the original Star Wars trilogy), it remains a well-liked film, and a sequel that tapped into that cheesy '90s nostalgia properly could have made bank. Unfortunately, no one involved in the production on creative or financial ends exploited it properly.

It's nutty that we're now halfway through the year and only 9 movies have made $100M+. 6 $330M+ grossers and 3 other movies between $105M and $153M. Granted that list will soon grow but still. This is the year where "feast or famine" has come fully alive.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Thanks to ID, we've gotten so much stuff blowing up since then that the only thing at this point that wouldve made IDR different is if the aliens came and rebuilt everything instead.

tumblr_n0hpjbFAzh1trrl82o1_500.gif

Edited by trifle

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's nutty that we're now halfway through the year and only 9 movies have made $100M+. 6 $330M+ grossers and 3 other movies between $105M and $153M. Granted that list will soon grow but still. This is the year where "feast or famine" has come fully alive.

Last year at this point we had 14 100M movies, 4 of which were 300M+. Insane.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Free State of Tele said:

How do you exploit it properly from a financial perspective, aside from greenlighting it?

Given that so much of a breakout smash's potential comes down to intangible factors (seriously, how else do we explain Jurassic World's performance?), it's an inexact science. That being said, more direct callbacks to the original film wouldn't have hurt. The ad campaign had little outside of the edited clips of President Pullman's speech, and the film itself had a few very half-hearted nods surrounded by poor attempts to get audiences invested in the characters of the next generation. I guess it's a case of the film not providing much for the marketers, but one would think that the studio bean-counters would have had enough influence over a financially-driven tentpole to force more nostalgic moments to use in the advertising.

As bad as the film is, I kinda feel bad for Emmerich. Bombing with a big sequel after bombing with a highly-budgeted non-sequel can't be good for his resume, which saddens me considering that I have such a soft spot for most of his dopey cinematic destruction.

4 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

As bad as the film is, I kinda feel bad for Emmerich. Bombing with a big sequel after bombing with a highly-budgeted non-sequel can't be good for his resume, which saddens me considering that I have such a soft spot for most of his dopey cinematic destruction.

I'm sure he's made enough at this point that he can continue to afford those extravagant all-dude pool parties until the day he dies. ;)