Ezen Baklattan

July 1-4 Weekend Estimates | Dory 50.2m, Tarzan 45.6m, Purge 34.8m, BFG 22.2m, IDR 20.2m

This weekend has overall been the best 4th Of July Weekend since 2013! Although not as big but much better than what we have seen in the past two years.                              Finding Dory still managed to hold on to the top spot for the third week with an estimated $41.9 million for the three-day portion. While considering that there's some competiton for families next weekend with The Secret Life Of Pets, Dory should still maintain some healthy holds and might become one of Pixar's top grossing films domestic! Look for Dory to just keep swimming it's way to $450 million domestic.                                             The leading new release this weekend, The Legend Of Tarzan debuted with a decent estimated $38.1 million for the three-day portion. Which the debut is better than other 4th Of July titles such as Terminator:Genisys and The Lone Ranger(although those were released on a Wednesday), and it is slightly higher than WB's big budget July film Pacifc Rim. With alright word of mouth, it's hard to tell where Tarzan will be swinging towards. Look for Tarzan to gross over $100 million domestic.             The second other new release, The Purge: Election Year also got off to a surprising start this weekend with an estimated $30.8 million for the three-day portion. That's ahead of its previous film, The Purge Anarchy($29.8 million). But less than the debut of the first film, The Purge($34 million). With horror films so far doing quite well this summer such as The Conjuring 2 nearing $100 million domestic, and The Shallows earning around $35 million so far! This has proven that audiences are in the mood for some thrills and chills this summer season! Anyway, look for The Purge to end its run between $65-$75 million domestic.                       Speilberg's The BFG tanked this weekend with an estimated $19.5 million for the three-day, that's higher than Speilberg's last film Bridge Of Spies($15.8 million) but less than half of the debut of Roald Dahl's last adaptation Charlie & The Chocolate Factory($55 million). With family competiton hitting up, The BFG will dissapear in the shuffle and make around $60 million domestic.                                      Last weekend's release, Independence Day:Resurgance took a hit this weekend despite the holiday weekend. Due to toxic word of mouth, the film will make between $95-$100 million.                         Central Intelligence had an decent hold this weekend. The spy action comedy will make at least $115 million domestic.                                      Despite some competition with The Purge, shark thriller The Shallows had an decent  hold, and should still be on course to gross around $50 million.                                              Matthew Mccounghey Historical Drama Free State Of Jones saw a decent drop for the weekend but is still not enough to save the loss of the film. Free State Of Jones should end its run close to $25 million domestic.                                        Horror sequel The Conjuring 2 took a normal decline for the weekend for a horror sequel, not bad considering The Shallows and The Purge:Election Year are in the marketplace. Look for The Conjuring 2 to scare up around $105 million.             Sequel Now You See Me 2, saw an alright drop but nothing to scream and shout about. Now You See Me 2 should disappear close to $65 million domestic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

So Alexander Skarsgard is a draw 

I wouldn't say that it's just that people wanted to checkout an action packed film after being letdown by Independence Day:Resurgance. I think people were attracted to the trailer when it was with The Conjuring 2 last month.

Finding Dory is still kicking ass. Yay!

Quite a decent start for The Legend of Tarzan, all things considered. It should at least cross $100M, unlike a slew of other recent nonstarters like Prince of Persia, The Lone Ranger, Terminator Genisys, and last month's Warcraft.

The Purge 3 is already in the black.

The BFG tanked, but that's not at all of a surprise.

lol Independence Day: Resurgence. Bye.

Strong hold again for Central Intelligence. Also an acceptable hold for The Shallows.

Tepid expansion for Swiss Army Man. Ditto a tepid start for Our Kind of Traitor.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Quite a decent start for The Legend of Tarzan, all things considered. It should at least cross $100M, unlike a slew of other recent nonstarters like Prince of Persia, The Lone Ranger, Terminator Genisys, and last month's Warcraft.

Lmao, Warcraft won't even cross the 50M :rofl: 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bladels said:

Atleast Tazan isn't bad enough to effect its genre . WB's already stained comic book genre with BvS

The comic book genre has too many a year. BVS was just one that had mixed reception. Suicide Squad will be a nice hit. It's good that WB have made a comeback after a small loss with the really good The Nice Guys. Tarzan surprised us at the boxoffice hey @Baumer anything plans at the end of the summer for the top 10 interesting box office stories of the summer this year? Tarzan should be one of them I think.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Lmao, Warcraft won't even cross the 50M :rofl: 

Which is where Tarzan was thought to be headed in total before the weekend.

I guess they got kinda lucky that they delivered an appealing-enough-looking action film right after a shitty Independence Day 2 that no one wanted.

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Which is where Tarzan was thought to be headed in total before the weekend.

I guess they got kinda lucky that they delivered an appealing-enough-looking action film right after a shitty Independence Day 2 that no one wanted.

ID42 is FOX. Tarzan is WB. 

Great hold by Dory, it post the best third weekend ever for an animated movie (unadjusted). It look's likely to get to $500 (if it hold nice next weekend). $475 is almost a lock (not a lock but almost)

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Yeah, BvS was the first bad CBM ever made...

Yeah, but was there another one as hyped up as BvS that ended up being such a wet fart?  The only other one I can think of might be Spiderman 3, but even that wasn't supposed to officially launch a new CBU like BvS.

• Like 3

Just got back from seeing Central Intelligence and it was great.  Extremely funny to me.  Glad I finally got a chance to see it :) 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 75live said:

Just got back from seeing Central Intelligence and it was great.  Extremely funny to me.  Glad I finally got a chance to see it :) 

Honestly, that's probably the next one I see.  I had a good time following the recommendations here for Nice Guys.

1 minute ago, trifle said:

Honestly, that's probably the next one I see.  I had a good time following the recommendations here for Nice Guys.

I know comedies are hard to recommend due to everyone having a different sense of humor, but if you like Kevin Hart or The Rock at all, it should work for you

• Like 2

Metacritic and RT's average nailed BFG. I'd also give it a 6.6/10 and while I may go as high as 7/10 once I've thought about it, I think I would like to watch the film again at some point. Thought the first half was uncommonly disjointed for a Spielberg film, and felt very contained despite it's giant (sorry) scale and amazing visuals. I didn't buy their friendship at all. However, the second half was a big improvement, and started to include some of that Spielberg magic that I thought the first half was missing. And by the end, I was actually attached to the two characters' friendship, despite me not thinking I was.

Weaker for Spielberg, but still very competent filmmaking.