WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-secret-life-pets-909062

Another animated film about animals is basking in the warm summer glow with Secret Life of Pets off to a strong start in its domestic debut. The Illumination Entertainment and Universal film is tracking to earn in the mid to high $30 million range on Friday on its way to a $90 million-plus debut.

Meanwhile, this weekend’s other new offering, Fox’s raunchy comedy Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, should earn around $6 million Friday (including $1.6 million from Thursday night) for a debut in the $13 million to $15 million range.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-secret-life-of-pets-finding-dory-mike-and-dave-need-wedding-dates-1201810905/

The Secret Life of Pets” looks to dominate the U.S. box office with a $95 million opening weekend, early estimates showed Friday.

“The Secret Life of Pets,” from Illumination/Universal, is heading for a $35 million to $38 million opening day at 4,329 North American theaters. Animated films will take the first two slots as Disney/Pixar’s fourth weekend of “Finding Dory” eyes a second-place finish with about $18 million, lifting its total to about $415 million by the end of the weekend.

Fox’s launch of Zac Efron’s “Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates” looks likely to finish third with about $16 million at 2,982 locations following an opening day of about $6 million. That should edge Warner Bros.’ second weekend of “The Legend of Tarzan” at about $15 million, with the second weekend of Disney’s “The BFG” and Universal/Blumhouse’s “The Purge: Election Year” battling for fourth with about $10 million each.

Online ticketing service Fandango reported Friday that “Pets” is generating 70% of its sales.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm expecting 160-170M for Rogue One's OW and because it's the holidays there's going to be a sub-50% drop. I'm expecting a 55-60M 5 day for Sing

The last two times December 16 fell on Friday, King Kong and Sherlock Holmes 2 were released and they dropped 57% and 49% on their respective second weekends. Given that Rogue One is gonna open like three times higher than both, a drop close to 60% wouldn't shock me before the holidays start having an effect on it. 

Can't believe PETS is turning into this monster. If it does 90m+ ow, it's hard to imagine it doing less than 300m dom.

ZOOTP, PETS and DORY could end up with ~1.155b dom combined (342+303+510).

What a year for animation films.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Let's play a game - guess which movie Scriptshadow reviewed below

CmtY8rUVIAAkgbw.jpg

heeeey. i called this guy a moron in another thread just the other day. feels good to immediately be proven right. what a creepo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Only in a worst case WOM for Rogue One/best case WOM for Sing scenario would it be possible. 

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm expecting 160-170M for Rogue One's OW and because it's the holidays there's going to be a sub-50% drop. I'm expecting a 55-60M 5 day for Sing

I have no idea what Sing will make, but just as an observation the official first trailer combines around 40m views only from YT and was posted just a month ago (that is only a bit less than the first Pets teaser in, I repeat, just a month). Also, I feel like I'm gonna get slapped for this but the Rogue One trailer combines 50m on YT. The difference is not so big. Not saying Sing is gonna be anywhere close to RO (lol), but it has quite a bit of buzz. I think it will open to at least 70m.

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Can't believe PETS is turning into this monster. If it does 90m+ ow, it's hard to imagine it doing less than 300m dom.

ZOOTP, PETS and DORY could end up with ~1.155b dom combined (342+303+510).

What a year for animation films.

So happy because animation is the best genre.

• Like 3