WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

1 minute ago, James said:

BO-wise there was plenty of exciting stuff this summer. Diversity wise - not so much.

I disagree. But I won't say you're wrong because it's all a matter of opinion and what you like or don't like so that's not where I'm getting at lol Civil War, Finding Dory, Central Intelligence, The Purge, The Nice Guys, and The Shallows were films that I enjoyed this summer that were also different from one another. And they also had good runs at the BO (minus The Nice Guys). 

3 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

2014 summer gave us  Dawn of the Planet of Apes, Days of Future Past, Guardians of the Galaxy, HTTYD 2, Edge of Tomorrow and 22 Jump Street ....

Yeah, 2014 was a fantastic summer for blockbusters on the whole. Best of the decade so far. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Not to mention I can smell an Indie movie, an AMPAS movie or a Sundance movie from a million miles, always the same shit, the same clichés & tropes.

Even less variety there IMO.

Exactly!!! Not to mention some just bore me to tears.

Every summer has good and bad movies. 

This summer we've had plenty of good stuff...

Civil War 

Finding Dory

Central Intelligence

The Conjuring 2

The Shallows

The Nice Guys

Swiss Army Man 

Secret Life of Pets

Popstar 

The Lobster

Love & Friendship

If you think this summer sucks more than others, you're clearly only paying attention to the tentpoles. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tonytr87 said:

Civil War 

Finding Dory

Central Intelligence

The Conjuring 2

The Shallows

The Nice Guys

Swiss Army Man 

Secret Life of Pets

Popstar 

The Lobster

Love & Friendship

If you think this summer sucks more than others, you're clearly only paying attention to the tentpoles. 

Yeah, but some of them weren't validated with money. That makes some people sad.

5 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Civil War 

Finding Dory

Central Intelligence

The Conjuring 2

The Shallows

The Nice Guys

Swiss Army Man 

Secret Life of Pets

Popstar 

The Lobster

Love & Friendship

Spot on 

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yeah, but some of them weren't validated with money. That makes some people sad.

Yea but some weren't made to be validated with money/weren't released in a way that would allow them to make money and I think that's something some people forget on here. 

• Community Manager
7 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Civil War 

Finding Dory

Central Intelligence

The Conjuring 2

The Shallows

The Nice Guys

Swiss Army Man 

Secret Life of Pets

Popstar 

The Lobster

Love & Friendship

Except I think the summer does suck more than others. Sure there have been "good" films I like and all but other than the Nice Guys and Civil War, I haven't handed out a single grade over B+ this summer I believe. I'm a ridiculously easy grader too: if I love a movie, it gets an A- even if it's deeply flawed.

20 minutes ago, RascarCapat said:

Another good reason is because it was awesome. For dozens of reasons.

It's not about the summer being a bad season, it's about studios making bad movies.

But hey, bad movies have been around since the dawn of cinema and it ain't gonna change.

And of course if you listen to the ancients like Tele, you'll hear that old refrain about how it was better in their time.

Plenty of people think Fury Road was not good.

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Except I think the summer does suck more than others. Sure there have been "good" films I like and all but other than the Nice Guys and Civil War, I haven't handed out a single grade over B+ this summer I believe. I'm a ridiculously easy grader too: if I love a movie, it gets an A- even if it's deeply flawed.

Hmmm heh no. I am an easy grader. You are a normal grader.

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Hmmm heh no. I am an easy grader. You are a normal grader.

I feel I'm an easy grader.

Although I was wrong. I gave Nice Guys a B+. Maybe I should see it again when it's on netflix to see if it's worthy of being bumped up.

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

It's not an old grumpy man thing, this summer has been considerably worse than the past summers. Everything is so visioneless, manufactured and calculated. It's hell for those who really like movies. 

Agreed, but its not just a summer thing. Movies in general have been getting more ridiculous, and is an avid movie lover (and writer), its painful to have to sift through so much garbage year in and year out now to get the gems.

Theres so many great ideas sitting on the shelf just begging to be made, but if it cant be franchised or doesnt catch an A list directors eye, its got a real uphill battle in todays Hollywood, no matter the month.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, pretty reckless said:

God efron is so annoying. He's shirtless in all his movies.

As he should be. He's got the body for it.

36 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

2014 summer gave us  Dawn of the Planet of Apes, Days of Future Past, Guardians of the Galaxy, HTTYD 2, Edge of Tomorrow and 22 Jump Street ....

Oops I see lots of people already given their glorious 2014 lists already...;)

Correct.  The point was there was an bunch of shit that summer like there is every summer.  

5 minutes ago, pretty reckless said:

God efron is so annoying. He's shirtless in all his movies.

i refuse to watch a movie with him in it. i've only seen neighbors and he ruined that. 

Edited by La Binoche