WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

There are a lot of websites that can't seem to accept Tarzan doing decent...

In fourth place, Warner Bros.’ “The Legend of Tarzan” picked up $20.6 million, bringing its stateside total to $81.4 million. Universal’s “The Purge: Election Year” rounded out the top five, adding $11.7 million to its $58.1 million domestic haul.

The Fox comedy “Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates” will close out the weekend in third with $16.6 million, followed by holdovers Warner Bros.’ “The Legend of Tarzan” ($20.6 million) and Universal’s “The Purge: Election Year” ($11.7 million).

Among holdovers, Legend of Tarzan is battling Finding Dory for the No. 2 spot with $20.6 million from 3,591 theaters for a domestic total of $81.4 million, a subdued number considering its $180 million production budget. Final Monday numbers will determine whether Tarzan or Doryprevailed (most box-office analysts have Dory ahead).

Despite Tarzan losing his pants, Warner Bros. could conceivably see a profitable summer, especially if Suicide Squad fares well. 

Not that Tarzan is some great success, but at least acknowledge it's either ranked second or contends for second. Two of these sources have it under Mike and Dave even quoting the numbers in the same paragraph! The one source that gives it the proper ranking of second questions if it really is above Dory with most analysts thinking Dory is the true winner. Dory is awesome and all, and it could easily be in second when actual numbers are revealed, but c'mon...does it need this extra cheer leading while diminishing the accomplishments of another film? 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Unfortunately no. I've been interested in that Scooby Apocalypse now, I just haven't been to a comic book store in a while. They sound totally crazy and insane though.

Highly recommended. These titles are aware of their ludicrousness so it makes it all the more fun. The Flintstones debut issue was really strong. Way above my expectations. DC is on fire right now (well, when it comes to the comics :p). They have just announced a Masters of the Universe/Thundercats team-up book which looks to be as amazing as it sounds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

Highly recommended. These titles are aware of their ludicrousness so it makes it all the more fun. The Flintstones debut issue was really strong. Way above my expectations. DC is on fire right now (well, when it comes to the comics :p). They have just announced a Masters of the Universe/Thundercats team-up book which looks to be as amazing as it sounds.

Future Quest looks crazy cool. Gives me hope that WAG will do Scooby Doo and Johnny Quest justice.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Not that Tarzan is some great success, but at least acknowledge it's either ranked second or contends for second. Two of these sources have it under Mike and Dave even quoting the numbers in the same paragraph! The one source that gives it the proper ranking of second questions if it really is above Dory with most analysts thinking Dory is the true winner. Dory is awesome and all, and it could easily be in second when actual numbers are revealed, but c'mon...does it need this extra cheer leading while diminishing the accomplishments of another film? 

Hard to consider a 200m film a success when it's down to 20m in its second weekend already. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

They should get the Margot Robbie Vanity Fair guy to write these reports. He won't stand for this downplaying of LoT success!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm definitely interested in picking up SD: Apocalypse.

I've actually read the description for that Thundercats / Masters of the Universe comic, and it does indeed sound like it's a lot of great fun.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Oh yeah. The Simpsons Movie. Not exactly an unproven venture, if you get my drift.

That doesn't take away from how successful it was at the box office. It's actually pretty impressive: even today, it beats out every other animated TV adaption out there, even the ones targeting families.  Without even adjusting.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hard to consider a 200m film a success when it's down to 20m in its second weekend already. 

They don't need to heap praise on the movie, just at least give it the proper ranking it earned. Something like..."surprisingly Tarzan might have edged out Finding Dory for second place in its second weekend, according to estimates. However, despite having some success in the domestic market, this film will have a hard time earning its $180 million budget." Not have it coming under Mike and Dave, which it didn't, unless estimates are completely off.

• Like 3

DC: Rebirth so far is fucking awesome. Batman has a little interesting thing going, Superman is starting out strong, Green Lanterns is very solid, Wonder Woman is outstanding.  I still need to read Justice League: Rebirth and The Flash.  Harley Quinn and Suicide Squad both start next month I assume to go with the release of the film.

I'm actually going to pick up The Flintstones also. Why not. It's got cool art anyway. Let's see what the story is about.

15 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

How the hell can Warcraft have a tiny 22% drop, when it dropped 73%, 69% and almost 77% for its previous weekends? lol

Its whats know as the  Drive-in and/or dollar house effect

• Like 2

That Tarzan drop, though! What a surprising domestic run this film's been having. "Stealing" Dory's 2nd place this weekend was not something I was expecting at all.

Something funny about Tarzan and IDR, though, is how much perspective and expectations shape a movie's performance. IDR was supposed to be an easy monster hit, building on pre-existing nostalgia and benefitting from expanded markets. And when that film opened to $41M, it was automatically deemed a flop. Tarzan, meanwhile, has been written off since basically the first official still, labeled a bomb before a second of footage had been screened. Opens to $38M, now considered a surprise crowdpleaser (heck, I just did it myself, lol). Both these movies will end up in generally the same ballpark, and yet, if asked to pick a clear loser here, most, if not all, would automatically go to the one with the lower budget, ironically.

Edited by Truckasaurus
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

We should also look up the word "massive".

I've heard that it's actually declining significantly from the previous entry. Also, the dollar is stronger as of late.

All the previous movies have a lower than 100m budget. So if this does even just 600m-ish it would be a a much better budget/gross ration than Inside Out got, with it's 175m budget, and it would also be more profitable. And people call IO a huge massive success so why wouldn't IA be considered the same?  

2 hours ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

I wasn't pleased with Be Cool when they first announced it, especially that art style, but I expected them to do something lighthearted, especially since they really wanna differentiate these Scooby series enough.

I'm actually enjoying Be Cool, largely due to being a SD fan, but I would be interested in them doing another "serious" Scooby series. Certainly the straight to DVD movies try to go for some variety once and a while.

I was the same, but I found myself quite enjoying Be Cool SD, mainly because of it's witty humor. It is funnier than previous SD series, but I really miss What's New SD, which was my favorite SD show. Mistery Inc. was also good.

As for ther straight to DVD movies I feel they'll lost their touch. Their 1998-2008 streak was beyond fantastic (Zombie Island - my fav, Witch's Ghost, Alien Invaders, Cyber Chase, Legend of the Vampire, Monster of Mexico, Loch Ness Monster - my second fav, Aloha, Where's My Mummy, Pirates Ahoy, Chill Out, Goblin King). Not one bad movie! Since then I enjoyed Samurai Sword and Camp Scare, but the others not so much. They are decent, but compared to their old days they seem flimsy efforts. 

14 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

That Tarzan drop, though! What a surprising domestic run this film's been having. "Stealing" Dory's 2nd place this weekend was not something I was expecting at all.

Something funny about Tarzan and IDR, though, is how much perspective and expectations shape a movie's performance. IDR was supposed to be an easy monster hit, building on pre-existing nostalgia and benefitting from expanded markets. And when that film opened to $41M, it was automatically deemed a flop. Tarzan, meanwhile, has been written off since basically the first official still, labeled a bomb before a second of footage had been screened. Opens to $38M, now considered a surprise crowdpleaser (heck, I just did it myself, lol). Both these movies will end up in generally the same ballpark, and yet, if asked to pick a clear loser here, most, if not all, would automatically go to the one with the lower budget, ironically.

Yeah, it's all about expectations. Tarzan is having surprising WOM. It will end up probably as the leggiest non-animation blockbuster this summer, which is crazy to think about. That 46% drop would be around 40% it the OW wasn't inflated by 4th of July. That would be an identical figure of what TJB did, and it may be even more impressive considering it has been achieved in the middle of Summer. Yeah, TJB made much more, but that's not the point. Till now, Tarzan is playing like a family movie, with strong week days. If it can manage to survive competition it will end up doing some money. TJB dropped 29% in it's 3rd weekend. I think that might prove to be too difficult for Tarzan, but then again, Ghostbusters is much lighter competition than Pets was, so I fully expect a drop in the 30-40% range. Either way, this continues the successful streak for Warner. The only movie that disappointed for them this Summer was The Nice Guys. It's pretty much as good as a studio can ask for.   

• Like 4

Dory is crumbling fast with that 50% drop.  Relative to how it was looking a few days ago in regards to passing the 500 million mark, it is disappointing that Dory might fall short after being replaced with Pets.  Maybe bad WOM is starting to kick in.

28 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Dory is crumbling fast with that 50% drop.  Relative to how it was looking a few days ago in regards to passing the 500 million mark, it is disappointing that Dory might fall short after being replaced with Pets.  Maybe bad WOM is starting to kick in.

bad WOM? are you kidding me?
it definitely doesn't match the finding nemo's quality, but certainly not generating bad WOM.....95%fresh rotten tomato,89% from audience, A for cinemascore, it even get A+ for girls, hyper hold across 3rd week, all of these are not at all the signal of bad WOM 

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

bad WOM? are you kidding me?
it definitely doesn't match the finding nemo's quality, but certainly not generating bad WOM.....95%fresh rotten tomato,89% from audience, A for cinemascore, it even get A+ for girls, hyper hold across 3rd week, all of these are not at all the signal of bad WOM 

lol I think I am sort of just making a joke.

#crumbdoryling

#findingflop

Dory's run is amazing. 10-days before the release folks were doubting 400m and even 375m. Those seemed like valid projections at the time. But right from the previews, it has been a great surprise.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1